Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Long Term Ownership Review

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Re: Tata Tiago Petrol XZ - A Layman's Review: 10,000 Kms Milestone

I clicked the picture after entering the hidden menu. They weren't backlit before. As soon as i selected the brightness level it displayed 100 and everything started glowing. So adjusted the brightness level accordingly.

Thread Starter #362

I clicked the picture after entering the hidden menu. They weren't backlit before. As soon as i selected the brightness level it displayed 100 and everything started glowing. So adjusted the brightness level accordingly.
OK that clarifies. Did the backlight stay intact after you restarted the system (i.e., remove and re-insert key)?

Hi @Prabhagar
I took below pictures today, check out both circular dials on centre console:
No back-lit
IMG_20170330_194802555.jpg

Back-lit on both dials !!
IMG_20170330_194718323.jpg

This setting I changed from 'Illumination' settings on the speedo console. NOT through Harman service menu.
I read in one of your post about this issue you are facing in your Tiago hence posting.

Thread Starter #365

This setting I changed from 'Illumination' settings on the speedo console. NOT through Harman service menu.
You made my day brother. Never thought instrument cluster illumination option would completely remove backlights on circular knobs. I kept mine at the lowest setting (long ago) as it reduces fatigue on my eyes that are already blinded by on-coming high beams.
The worst part of my case is that even Harman technicians didn't have a clue about this. They downgraded its firmware from v1.7 to v1.47 and then decided to replace the HU itself. In fact, just today I confirmed my appointment to replace it on Tuesday. If not for you, I would have ended up with a completely different HU. I bet they are going to be embarrassed to learn this simple setting behind all this trouble [evil]. I will just get them to flash my firmware to v1.7 and be done with it.
Thanks again for pointing this out modifii.. [clap]

Edit: Here is a quick video of this setting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj7Vw6NqP6o&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

You made my day brother. Never thought instrument cluster illumination option would completely remove backlights on circular knobs. I kept mine at the lowest setting (long ago) as it reduces fatigue on my eyes that are already blinded by on-coming high beams.
The worst part of my case is that even Harman technicians didn't have a clue about this. They downgraded its firmware from v1.7 to v1.47 and then decided to replace the HU itself. In fact, just today I confirmed my appointment to replace it on Tuesday. If not for you, I would have ended up with a completely different HU. I bet they are going to be embarrassed to learn this simple setting behind all this trouble [evil]. I will just get them to flash my firmware to v1.7 and be done with it.
Thanks again for pointing this out modifii.. [clap]
Oh that's wonderful, I'm glad that it solved your problem.

@Prabhagar, I didn't quite understand where is this setting in the instrument cluster? The video that you put is too dark to know what you're doing.

Last edited:

@Prabhagar, I didn't quite understand where is this setting in the instrument cluster? The video that you put is too dark to know what you're doing.
Follow this- headlights on
Press set stick
Illu option will be displayed
Again press set stick to change brightness

Thread Starter #369

Adding to Gautam's instructions, the illumination increases and decreases within a range of 1 to 5. Pressing the SET button with headlights ON will increase brightness from 1 to 5 and then 5 to 1 upon every press. Hope this helps! This is mentioned in page #40 of user manual.

Last edited:

OK that clarifies. Did the backlight stay intact after you restarted the system (i.e., remove and re-insert key)?
Hey Prabhagar.
The infotainment software was updated on my Tiago last Saturday during campaign.
And I did not face this issue after the update.
The backlit was working before and after the update as well.
Now even i have the Dec 23 2016 update.
Prior version was somewhere in Nov 2015.

Thread Starter #371

Hey Prabhagar.
The infotainment software was updated on my Tiago last Saturday during campaign.
And I did not face this issue after the update.
The backlit was working before and after the update as well.
Now even i have the Dec 23 2016 update.
Prior version was somewhere in Nov 2015.
Thanks for the update Mukesh. Mine was not really an issue and was pointed out by modifii. Please check this post for more details: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...eview-10-000-kms-milestone-25.html#post532061

@Prabhagar, Mukesh etc. Do you face stuttering of engine on AC? Today it was too much and had to switch of AC to make the car smooth. Really Tata needs to remove these stupid issues wrt AC. When Ac is off car is smooth but when switch it on, car is not smooth and gives jerks and stutters. I would have happily sacrificed on AC power for engine smoothness.

@Prabhagar, Mukesh etc. Do you face stuttering of engine on AC? Today it was too much and had to switch of AC to make the car smooth. Really Tata needs to remove these stupid issues wrt AC. When Ac is off car is smooth but when switch it on, car is not smooth and gives jerks and stutters. I would have happily sacrificed on AC power for engine smoothness.
Not an Issue with AC per se. This happens with 3 potter. I had this issue in our Alto and at times, I open up windows rather than hearing that grinding noise in the name of A/C. But you can't complain Tata for this.

Not an Issue with AC per se. This happens with 3 potter. I had this issue in our Alto and at times, I open up windows rather than hearing that grinding noise in the name of A/C. But you can't complain Tata for this.
Its just not noise. Its complete jerks and feels like you're driving in 6th gear at 20kmph. It doesn't always happen so thst I can show to service guy. Also when car is in that jerky mode, I feel complete loss of power and pressing accelerator pedal gives even more jerks. Switching off the AC eases things.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

Its just not noise. Its complete jerks and feels like you're driving in 6th gear at 20kmph. It doesn't always happen so thst I can show to service guy. Also when car is in that jerky mode, I feel complete loss of power and pressing accelerator pedal gives even more jerks. Switching off the AC eases things.
How many kms have you covered ? I felt the same thing and the car is new with just 300kms. Didn't try with ac off. It just takes the fun oit of the whole car experience.

Top Bottom