Tata Tiago (2019): First Time Car Owner's Experience

Thread Starter #47
Got a major performance update, as a birthday gift for her.

Part - Lowering Spring
Brand - Cobra Suspensions, Netherlands
Spec - Front Drop 25 mm, Rear Drop 20 mm, progressive springs.

1.1.jpg

Getting ready for her spec boost.
1.jpg

Before
2.jpg

Front Wheel Off
3.jpg

Front Strut upper mount
4.jpg

Strut off the car
5.jpg

Work in progress
6.jpg

Cobra Springs(left) vs Stock Springs(right)
7.jpg

More Work in progress
8.jpg

New Springs Installed on the strut.
9.jpg

Front Strut with new springs mounted.
10.jpg

Rear Wheel off
11.jpg

Rear Strut off
12.jpg

After
13.jpg
14.jpg

Before vs After comparison.
17.jpg

Initial Impressions
The stance hasn't noticeable changed much, but it looks good enough for me. The body roll has reduced, bounciness on bad roads at lower speeds has reduced. Steering feel is better and the car feels more confident to drive. High speed performance yet to be tested. Wheel scraping when 3 people on board remains the same like before. Need to test with 4 people and luggage and see if it also remains the same.

Need to get the wheel alignment done and then go for a highway run to properly test the new setup.

Thread Starter #49
With the ride lowered, definitely it will get wheel scraped.
Since the stock suspension is too soft, It used to scrape. I was afraid if I lower the ride, it will scrape more, but no, it scrapes the same or even less than the stock setting with upto 3 people. Need to test with full load to see if there is any difference as compared to stock. Also I will be changing from 205/50 tyres to 195/50. That way the scraping will reduce even more.

Hope the steering related components don't get a toll by this.
It will definitely take a hit, but since this isn't a hardcore drop, it won't damage the parts very soon. I already know of the bad effects of this mod.

Thread Starter #53
205/50 is 1.4% difference only. It is a stable upsize only. I have done proper studies and only changed. I didnt get 195 section at the time of my upgrade. Thats why had to go to 205’s.

Maybe the website which I was looking on was inaccurate.
I have upsized in my cousin's swift zdi(2012 model), from stock 185/15" to 205/16". There as the wheel well had adequate space and also the suspension was tweaked, by rising(Am sure that it wasn't lowered). No trouble was encountered, the ride was more planted, stiffness was same as earlier stock spec, as the suspension was adjusted not to cause more stiffness.

Thread Starter #57
Maybe the website which I was looking on was inaccurate.
It happens to me too. Thats why I always seek advice from trusted and experienced people in my circle(perks of being an Automobile Engineer) before going for any mods.

In my case, I wanted more stiffness, improved stance. There is now almost no nosediving under hard braking, body roll considerably reduced and more connect with the vehicle over all.

Yes there are negatives to this upgrade and I can live with it. Only change I would be doing is going one size smaller on the width of the tyres which I think will almost prevent the scraping of the tyres.

I have read from @deville_56 bro, the issue with steering and related components, when tyre is upsized(I think it was with his Estilo thread). What I feel is, it is quite associated with different brands. Certain brands like Maruti Suzuki aren't suited for performance/suspension mod jobs. If it was a VW, things are different, as cost wise also mod jobs are more economical and the ride won't get pained by the job.

Thread Starter #59
I have read from @deville_56 bro, the issue with steering and related components
I know and I am ready to spend for it.

If it was a VW, things are different,
This is not true at all. A friend of mine has Eibach lowering springs in his polo. He had to replace front lower arm, upper arm, steering rack at around 40k kms.

At the end of the day its all about how happy you are about your ride.

deville_56

Honoured Member
Simplest thing I follow is reduce aspect by five for every inch increase of rim and for every 10 mm width increase. You would get a rough upsize. Keep them side by side and see whether it's way different [cheers]. Fit them and live in peace [evil]

After all these sites started confusing, I took a scale and went on a measuring spree and none of the heights were close enough to what's mentioned, especially the aspect height [lol]

Top Bottom