Tata Sierra: Technical Queries & Solutions

Tata sierra Queries

Hello there as you might have judged by the title im an avid fan of a beast long gone -the tata sierra .
Now i went through every single post relating to sierra on the Internet (yes the entire internet) and i must say there are still people who will value this precious car.
I currently reside in delhi and i wish to own and restore this car somewhere in the future. But that seems like nearly impossible( if it is please mention how ). But where theres hope there is way...I have another residential address in greater noida which comes under UP so probably i can run it there. And are diesel cars that old without a pollution certificate allowed anywhere.
So i wanted to enquire whether an engine swap is legal and possible whether through TASS or any other garage if not what are the ways to buy and maintain a sierra in today.
Personally i haven't heard any person performing engine swaps on any site.
Dear gurus please throw some light on this.

You need not swap the engine. The law states any vehicle which is used commercially and is above 15 years can't run on the streets of Delhi. It doesn't say private owned cars which have crossed 15 years cannot ply on the streets of Delhi. So chill there is hope. Now for the next part of the question I haven't gone for engine swap neither will I recommend that unless you are so mad about this car that you don't mind spending the cost of euro4 hatch. Yes if you have to plonk a safari engine and gearbox with wiring and ecu it will cost you close to 3.5 lacs parts Labour would be extra, this is if u want a new engine and gearbox. However if u are linking an engine from the scrap market it will not be deemed as car which has had a transplant it would be still be considered as 15 year old vehicle only. So unless you want to get it done from TASS where it will cost you a leg and a kidney to get it done( here I'm judging by my pocket standards) please don't get offended.i have left my sierra as is. I had renewed by RC is 2013 where I had got the RC valid till 2018 so I'm waiting till then keep it as is as in keep it mechanically and structurally. And if you get further extension on the RC it's fine or else I'll keep this car for my field runs. So even if you have renewed the RC don't sweat it restore it to the stock spec. If not just get it up and running enjoy the drive. I hope I have answered your questions and if you do restore it. Club Sierra India is planning a national meet and drive to Leh in 2018 in their respective sierras.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need not swap the engine. The law states any vehicle which is used commercially and is above 15 years can't run on the streets of Delhi. It doesn't say private owned cars which have crossed 15 years cannot ply on the streets of Delhi. So chill there is hope. Now for the next part of the question I haven't gone for engine swap neither will I recommend that unless you are so mad about this car that you don't mind spending the cost of euro4 hatch. Yes if you have to plonk a safari engine and gearbox with wiring and ecu it will cost you close to 3.5 lacs parts Labour would be extra, this is if u want a new engine and gearbox. However if u are linking an engine from the scrap market it will not be deemed as car which has had a transplant it would be still be considered as 15 year old vehicle only. So unless you want to get it done from TASS where it will cost you a leg and a kidney to get it done( here I'm judging by my pocket standards) please don't get offended.i have left my sierra as is. I had renewed by RC is 2013 where I had got the RC valid till 2018 so I'm waiting till then keep it as is as in keep it mechanically and structurally. And if you get further extension on the RC it's fine or else I'll keep this car for my field runs. So even if you have renewed the RC don't sweat it restore it to the stock spec. If not just get it up and running enjoy the drive. I hope I have answered your questions and if you do restore it. Club Sierra India is planning a national meet and drive to Leh in 2018 in their respective sierras.
thank you for answering me. I actually own a chevy beat which has been with us for 8 years but now unfortunately Chevy has closed its doors in india. So after all my family is going to need a new car anyway but are going to keep the beat for as long as we can.(spares will be provided for years to come) . So considering the fact that my family needs a new car in future ( preferably suv) would it THEN be senisible to go for the swap because its still going to cost pennies compared to a brand new vehicle , you quoted about wingers engine in your post ,what were the total approx cost involved ?
if you still stand by your opinion that swap is viable just ignore this post.

Top Bottom