Tata Sierra: Technical Queries & Solutions

Re: Tata Sierra - Technical Queries and Solutions

last year i got complete service done of my radiator. changed the tyres to yokohama all terrain oem size. have changed one wheel. got new maintenance free battery. fuel pump complete service. curtains in rear windows. new floor carpet & mattes. new seat covers & steering cover. complete paint but original color to white. new front windshield glass. silver wheel caps. stepney cover.

i bought it for 72k and all the above mentioned has costed another 70k so far. including two full services with oil change. that makes it a mere 142k but its more than worth it. i dont enjoy any other car to ride any more.

if as per the advices above my ac also starts to perform in this scorching summer heat then it will be the ultimate luxury, comfort, style with fuel economy.

if as per the advices above my ac also starts to perform in this scorching summer heat then it will be the ultimate luxury, comfort, style with fuel economy.
Yep ,

go for superking evaporator coils and blower check if they are original. changing compressor is last most option. clean condensor too.

even i thought so but unless i come across a person to do it.
i m stuck. its difficult to locate innovative ppl here.

hey man your sierrra is in amazing condition! how much old it is? are you first owner??
Yeah luckily it is , I bought it last year from the first owner a gentleman, very courteous. 1995 model.

Dear Ilango,

Hope you are doing.

I saw your sierra modification pics. great job i would say. why i say great is because it boosts my determination to go for a sierra . YES I M BUYING A SIERRA [:)]

I have spotted one and im just in the process of taking it

And let me tell you that i do not know how to drive a vehicle but i have always loved the 2 icons in the Indian Automobile arena - the TATA ESTATE & the SIERRA

I searched and I have come across both.

The estate is in a very good shape. the sierra, being near to sea has developed a few patches of rust & a few holes as well (the size of a "8" size nut)
I have 3 Yezdi motorcycles and my experience with them gives me slight confidence that the rusting on the Sierra can also be fixed but my major concern is the TOP. Yes, the 2 strips on the top have completely gone damaged. the owner has stuck brown tapes on them (i believe it may be leaking)

Now my query starts from here. Can that be fixed as well ? Will those strips be available in the market ?

And my piece is a Turbo and im even more excited to have found that.

@ everybody, guys like i said i don't even know driving but in my love for these vehicles (and also keeping the budget in mind) im going for this vehicle so any input from anyone of you who wishes to help may be a great support.

And one final question - for the past one week i have been contemplating whether to go for the estate or the sierra and trust me it is a tough task.

Please help .

Thanks .

Regards,

AB

Last edited by a moderator:

Estate and sierra both are almost similar in design. Estate being a car err.. car and truck fusion . the estate always feel underpowered .

In sierra , in practical usage you will miss the rear door. your family elders will find it difficult to get in and out.

Any rust spot can be made to work good . If the top strips are leaking remove and seal them with a metal.
I have done in mine.

Sierra was a advanced car at its launch. Now many easy to drive cars are available

I have driven 4 sierra's in total 2 being turbo ( one is mine)
the other turbo's original clutch was butter smooth,
Mine is not i have new master and slave cylinder but not butter smooth as that.
the other 2 sierra clutch was hard than mine.

so what does smoothness in clutch refer. Well it is ease of city driving.

Next the brakes. Cannot be compared to modern day car but needs time to built confidence.
remember you are driving about 1.8 tonner

The last query of you. Estate or sierra.
It must be sierra. Estate spares like rubber beedings are difficult to source and the car is almost extinct.
the sierra has still some respect i believe and some more resale value if it is turbo.

Be prepared for a huge bill. Guess mine has eaten about 2.8 Lack roughly.
1.25 for car. rest for the re build of body..

Call it coincidence.

The other butter smooth sierra came for a service at the garage and i had a chance to inspect its clutch.
every thing was original. (master/slave cylinder)

I noticed that the return spring in my clutch pedal was damn heavy (read thickness and stiffness) where as in that sierra it was very thing and easy to press and release.

Need to work on the spring very soon :)

updating the old thread.
i sold my sierra and got a tata again :)

Manza VX on may 28 2014!!.

My sierra is now around Trichy - TN

Hey there Ilango. I am converting my sierra to a 4 door as you had done one vehicle with xenon headlamps. wanted to know which door did you use for the rear door. and how did you match the body line. also im thinking of changing the headlamps to one which has projector combo. which one would you suggest. if yes what would be the cost involved.here is the pic of my car

Attachments

Hey there Ilango. I am converting my sierra to a 4 door as you had done one vehicle with xenon headlamps. wanted to know which door did you use for the rear door. and how did you match the body line. also im thinking of changing the headlamps to one which has projector combo. which one would you suggest. if yes what would be the cost involved.here is the pic of my car
4 Door Sierra looks hideous. Get the butterfly door mod. instead.

I am converting my sierra to a 4 door
I suggest to relook. It will spoil the mighty looks of sierra, compromising the structural rigidity as-well. I understand the stock 3 door setup isn't practical, but a Sierra is made to be like that. Only few species were alive now, why kill the stock looks?

If you are still inclined towards converting, 4 door version that you are referring is better than the gull-wings. (gull-wing modification will leave the car structurally too week)

Mr Boss i understand where you are coming from, However sierra is vehicle that i use for my long family tours. as well as my daily commute. I'm not much bothered when its me and my frens around in the car. its only when family has to be taken out that im worried. Ingress and Egress is so difficult for family hence thinking of this conversion. i was also for this gull wing door however the door would become too bulky as well as structural rigidity would be lost so decided to go against my will and convert it into a 4 door. I know the originality would be lost once i do so. i'll definetly think it over once again.

Last edited:

Top Bottom