Tata Safari & Storme: Technical Issues & Solutions

Hi guys,

Got a peculiar problem: I was driving to Kolhapur.After covering about 150-160 kms(crossed Belgaum) while I was accelerating in the 3rd or 4th gear , the car had reached 2K RPM or so but and a certain point on the highway I felt the car kind of lose power for at 2k rpm -then a jerk-then lose power again and then back to its normal self all in 3-4 seconds. The feeling cannot be explained properly but imagine the car at the sweet turbo spot climbing at 2000 RPM but the feeling on the accelerator pedal is as if the car is at 400 RPM(not actually happening but the feeling) just for 1-2 seconds and back to 2K RPM. Quite a scary moment that was. This happened back again when I was returning back from Kolhapur. Something similar had occurred to me while I was on the way to Pune some time last month but I thought it was just my imagination. What might be the problem?

Ya it does happen sometimes but thereafter unburnt fuel in the form of black smoke is released and veh is back with same intensity. I think that is normal.

Hi guys,

Got a peculiar problem: I was driving to Kolhapur.After covering about 150-160 kms(crossed Belgaum) while I was accelerating in the 3rd or 4th gear , the car had reached 2K RPM or so but and a certain point on the highway I felt the car kind of lose power for at 2k rpm -then a jerk-then lose power again and then back to its normal self all in 3-4 seconds. The feeling cannot be explained properly but imagine the car at the sweet turbo spot climbing at 2000 RPM but the feeling on the accelerator pedal is as if the car is at 400 RPM(not actually happening but the feeling) just for 1-2 seconds and back to 2K RPM. Quite a scary moment that was. This happened back again when I was returning back from Kolhapur. Something similar had occurred to me while I was on the way to Pune some time last month but I thought it was just my imagination. What might be the problem?
How many kms has the car done?How long ago was the car serviced?

@jarpickle the car has done somewhere around 40K kms, serviced in August, the car has completed 4 years,the thing is that the Safari was never used for long drives before and was only used around the city as my other vehicle was used for the same but now I am using the Safari for interstate drives and particularly found this problem occurring only on long drives and at speeds above 70 and more,covering long stretches at a time. This does not happen on a daily drive for short period like 50 Kms or so. Is this supposed to be normal cause I never encountered this in my 4 years of ownership. I though maybe its something with the fuel filter getting clogged but it cant happen as the filter was changed just in August now can it?

@jarpickle the car has done somewhere around 40K kms, serviced in August, the car has completed 4 years,the thing is that the Safari was never used for long drives before and was only used around the city as my other vehicle was used for the same but now I am using the Safari for interstate drives and particularly found this problem occurring only on long drives and at speeds above 70 and more,covering long stretches at a time. This does not happen on a daily drive for short period like 50 Kms or so. Is this supposed to be normal cause I never encountered this in my 4 years of ownership. I though maybe its something with the fuel filter getting clogged but it cant happen as the filter was changed just in August now can it?
Since it was used only for city driving, it is possible that there is carbon buildup in the engine and in the turbo and related parts.You can try to get the decarbonization done.But then the oil will need to be changed depending on the decarbonization procedure.The best one is unplugging the fuel pump from the engine and running the car on the decarbonization machine.It will pump cleaning liquids into the fuel line and the combustion in the engine will cause the carbon to burn away from the engine and the injectors to the tail pipe.

The other method is pouring a cleaning agent into the oil.This is not really helpful.It will only flush the oil nothing else.

There should not be an issue with the fuel filter since it was changed in August.

What was done to the DPF(Diesel particulate filter)?Was this cleaned as well?

Consider what Iron Rock has mentioned.

Also,If you can visit a Bosch Workshop, get the fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested.

@iron rock thank you for your advice,will be taking the Safari to the TASS to check out for the error codes.

@jarpickle I guess the sedimenter could be a problem considering I have been out on a lot of interstate trips and filling up at random fuel stations. Now a noob question. I was trying a DIY on the sedimenter, undid the nut and all,now how do you know that it is water pouring out or diesel, I mean to say there was stuff falling out that looked like water and smelled of diesel, I let it flow out of the sedimenter for about 15-20 seconds then got scared that its diesel and plugged it back in:stupid:, So is there a possibility that it is diesel falling out or that everything that can come out of the sedimenter is water and should be emptied completely and the lug should be tighten only after the flow stops?

It will smell like diesel because it was part of the diesel before it entered the sedimenter.Just empty the sedimenter completely.

There should be a drain plug on the sedimenter body.Just undo that and let the water flow out completely.Remember this is to be done with the engine ignition off.

Just go to a fuel station and check how diesel looks like if you are not sure.

I have attached the Owners Manual, you should be able to see the Sedimenter in that.

If you have a manual refer to pg 109.

Attachments

Last edited:
@jarpickle , thanks I did give it a try and I know how to do it, just got scared due to the amount of it coming out,I thought the fuel was coming out too, so now I guess I'll empty it all out.

Secondly I did go to the TASS today, as usual their laptop is out of order so no scan available, went to the BOSCH service center instead, got a scan done there no error codes found, the S.A. over there suggested that may have been due to fuel because I have been filling up in different regions. Will let you guys know if any problem crops up again.

@jarpickle , thanks I did give it a try and I know how to do it, just got scared due to the amount of it coming out,I thought the fuel was coming out too, so now I guess I'll empty it all out.

Secondly I did go to the TASS today, as usual their laptop is out of order so no scan available, went to the BOSCH service center instead, got a scan done there no error codes found, the S.A. over there suggested that may have been due to fuel because I have been filling up in different regions. Will let you guys know if any problem crops up again.
don't worry about this hiccups, all early model 2.2 safaris have this same kind of behavior. please make sure you drive in 80-90 km/hr 10 minutes continuously in the highway for clearing the carbon deposits in the cat converter. Do normal service "exactly same" as per the schedule in the manual.

Also you should remember not to do any decarbonization for your DICOR, even tata motors do not recommend this for dicor engine. Please see below link
http://customercare.tatamotors.com/service/decarbon.asp
http://customercare.tatamotors.com/service/fuelAdd.asp

Last edited:
Hello Safari Gurus, Yesterday I gave my VTT for a wash, when they jacked up the vehicle for under body cleaning I tried to rotate the front wheels, and I observed both front wheels are not freely rotating, How freely it should rotate? will it rotate very much freely?

Hello Safari Gurus, Yesterday I gave my VTT for a wash, when they jacked up the vehicle for under body cleaning I tried to rotate the front wheels, and I observed both front wheels are not freely rotating, How freely it should rotate? will it rotate very much freely?
how freely? Now thats difficult to answer, but ideally both should be equally free enough for first no problem opinion, secondly if there is a variation in any, must get it checked imediately to avoid pre-mature brake and tyre damage.

Guyz,

Off late i see my ac blower is not working as expected, Now the blower speed feels like 1 and in 1 there is very negligible air blowing out.

Any idea what it could be, as the AC gas is refilled before shirdi trip last month.

Top Bottom