Tata Safari Storme Review & Pictures

Re: Tata Safari Storme Road Test Review

I would now like to have a comparo between XUV & Storme, even finer here as you own XUV. What say ?
[evil]

Just some points which I disagree -

* The design is good, don't think it is right to call outdated. See Porsche 911,
+100..

* Storme sits between Scorpio & XUV, more towards XUV. Scorpio also comes cheap, that M2Di engine. I am sure Storme VX 4x4 will outsmart XUV W8 AWD for off-roads,
One is offroader and one is soft-roader. XUV misses the low ratios and hence Storme is the off-road king at the price without any doubt.

* The rear seat latch issue I think is not universal. Need to check with Storme buyers. Anyone here, please update about this.
+100..

Waiting for comparo between Storme & XUV now.[glasses]
It's gonna be tough, Storme has no competition, only similarity between Storme and XUV is that they can seat seven and come for near 15 lac, else vehicles are completely different.

* The rear seat latch issue I think is not universal. Need to check with Storme buyers. Anyone here, please update about this.[confused]
I think by rear he meant the middle-row. Yes, it is a universal issue with the Safari, it was there in TCIC, in 3.0L DICOR, in 2.2vtt DICOR and so sad to hear in Storme too. The lock mechanism of the middle row does'nt work. Infact after driving 2+l kms in my TCIC the seats never used to lock and whenever I braked they just used to drop if none was sitting. Really annoying issue.[frustration]

Outstanding report buddy. You have covered the details with so much depth that I dont have any queries left.

This review makes me feel happy I bought the XUV, so I am not really waiting for the XUV v/s Storme report.

I think by rear he meant the middle-row. Yes, it is a universal issue with the Safari, it was there in TCIC, in 3.0L DICOR, in 2.2vtt DICOR and so sad to hear in Storme too. The lock mechanism of the middle row does'nt work. Infact after driving 2+l kms in my TCIC the seats never used to lock and whenever I braked they just used to drop if none was sitting. Really annoying issue.[frustration]
Yes, you are right.

And this seems to be an issue with all Stormes. Another forum which test drove the Storme had the same issue.

@IR
Fantastic piece of work. An unbiased, honest and the best storme review I have read on the web.

Coming to storme, some how I am still disappointed with Tata for having missed another big opportunity to stir the market with an all new contemporary design and product in the 10-16L SUV segment.

For common Indian public, it's still a safari with better paint quality in the exterior and better plastics in the interior. Look at the centre console, it's so dull. What is that big steering wheel doing there? And those inconsistent and large panel gaps. Is this what Tata can offer in a 2012-13 launch to people of India? No luxury/comfort features at all. Today a car [especially which cost 11L+] is no more just a cabin to take people from point to point on sofas. The current time demands much more. For me this attitude is just nothing but rudeness.

I don't see Storme outselling its competition [ 3 year old Scorpio]in the near future.I don't see anything in it to be a mass puller in the market. A few more safari lovers might go for it or upgrade from their safari to storme. I don't see it causing any dent to XUV reputation/sales at all. I don't see anything in Storme that would change people's perception about Tata cars positively.

An optional 4x4 in all variants and a better equipment level [ at least a 2-DIN ICE and ACC] would have done justice to this product. With additional Touch screen Multimedia Interface with GPS navigation and Cruise control,Storme would have done wonders in the market which Tata badly needs at present.

I sincerely wish that it is only a ploy by Tata to slowly replace the existing safari with storme[in the 8.5-12L segment] and introduce an All New and Contemporary SUV just above this segment[12-16L]? I sincerely wish Tata to take such a bold move which they are good enough for.
@ Manoj

Hi , I don't understand what is wrong with the design its a good design even now and looks quite classic . Again looks are very subjective many might like it many might not as it is with any car which has quite a fan following . Storme is a upgrade to safari ( with all new under pinings ) not a new SUV with new shape , and safari has been popular for its desgin and looks . Tata has given it a modern touch and improved it further . This was clear since 2009 when the first test mules were spotted .

And I like you too hope tata makes a all new monoqoue SUV with all the bells and whistles .

I agree with you about features , I mean tata should have loaded it with some more features .

I think first goal for tata must not be to outsell competetion but make a reliable vehicle which brings joy owning it .

@ raj_5004

Good to see you buddy , and good you dint wait for storme because anyway your basic requirement was 7 seater and storme is 5 seater although a 5 seater with class leading space and ride quality .
Hope all is well in uk .

Last edited:

@IR
Fantastic piece of work. An unbiased, honest and the best storme review I have read on the web.

Coming to storme, some how I am still disappointed with Tata for having missed another big opportunity to stir the market with an all new contemporary design and product in the 10-16L SUV segment.
Yup, it's an opportunity lost. May be the sad story of Aria refrained TM from going for a complete design makeover. But, everyone knows the pricing killed that car. If we see some comments, we get the feeling that the Safari's rear has been it's defining beauty aspect and that's why it was not tinkered with-barring the removal of the spare wheel (a move that is disliked by many). TM modified the front, they could very well have done something about the sides and the rear. But, it is still much more handsome than the 'stinger'.

I think by rear he meant the middle-row. Yes, it is a universal issue with the Safari, it was there in TCIC, in 3.0L DICOR, in 2.2vtt DICOR and so sad to hear in Storme too. The lock mechanism of the middle row does'nt work. Infact after driving 2+l kms in my TCIC the seats never used to lock and whenever I braked they just used to drop if none was sitting. Really annoying issue.
Then this is an issue, rest let the owners confirm it. Mine never had it BTW(though 8000 kms ownership is very short), still it is hell annoying to have such an issue in a car that costs near about 15 lac!![frustration]

Outstanding report buddy. You have covered the details with so much depth that I dont have any queries left.
+100, the review has cleared a lot of points.

This review makes me feel happy I bought the XUV, so I am not really waiting for the XUV v/s Storme report.
Whatever one may say, but my preference was also XUV over the Storme(after the TDs done) and after this review, it is further strengthened. Still I'd like to hear a line or two from IR on which he found a better product 'overall' and why?

And this seems to be an issue with all Stormes. Another forum which test drove the Storme had the same issue.
WTH, such a cheap issue in a 15 lac car. C'mon Tata, if you wanna give an issue then it should feel like an issue in a 15 lac car not something like this.[lol]

As I mentioned sometimes before too, the car is a huge leap forward but still it hasn't got what it takes to be a segment leader.

Hi Iron rock,

One the thee best reviews I have ever read. Thumbs up and all ***** to it.

Cheers,
Girish

@ IR : good job!! I approve every thing. Now completed 1800KM in my Pune - Rajashtan trip in STORME..no issue at all. no niggles. fuel avg 13.9, 14.4, 14.1 my last 3 refill.

@ IR : good job!! I approve every thing. Now completed 1800KM in my Pune - Rajashtan trip in STORME..no issue at all. no niggles. fuel avg 13.9, 14.4, 14.1 my last 3 refill.
Nice to hear from you Sanjay, Hope you are enjoying your Rajasthan trip in Storme. [clap]. That's nice FE figures you are getting for such a huge beast.

Nice update Sanjay !! It is really impressive average from Storm [clap]

Any pics during your trip ??

One sad news is that out of my two friends who are been waiting for Storm, one of them have bought XUV 500 already and other one waiting for Storm launch in Hyderabad.[:)]

Nice update Sanjay !! It is really impressive average from Storm [clap]

Any pics during your trip ??

One sad news is that out of my two friends who are been waiting for Storm, one of them have bought XUV 500 already and other one waiting for Storm launch in Hyderabad.[:)]
Storme can be seen in preana motors in banglore by tomorrow. So I think wait for bangloreans is about to end now .

@ Gurralla

Since its already now launched in kerla , mp , chattisgarh Hyderabad and chennai must not be far expect the news in 5-10 days time .

@ Sanjaysg

Dude thanx for updating.

buddy hope you keep us updating and post some pics of the storme too for our delight [:D]

Last edited:

These are superb FE figures for a vehicle of it's size. Are these purely highway miles or a mix. Also, I suppose you are following the running-in too.

freakdude.

Great review guys...
BTW i booked the Storme LX model in Pearl white color yesterday and will take the delivery on 14th of Jan 2013. took another test drive before booking with my dad and brother and it was rocking. My dad said it's HUGE and liked the Storme so much. So just 3 weeks and Storme will be at home, feeling very exciting. Safari has been my personal favorite SUV since my childhood and i always dreamed of owning one...so the coundtown begins [:D].

I have one question: I want to buy insurance directly but not getting any help as most of the insurance sites don;t have information about Storme. If any one knows about any insurance agent in NCR then please inform me. Thanks in advance.

Very nice review IR [:)] Rated 5* ,Specially all video's are just cool.
And special that's for giving me opportunity to have hand's on this Red safari storme.
Btw, You have not taken any video on that ground ?

@Storme I didn't liked 2 things at all
Simple dash with Single Din.
Useless 3 rd row seating.

Top Bottom