Tata Safari Storme Review & Pictures

Re: Tata Safari Storme Road Test Review

I don't know why people are saying that Storme has no features,REALLY? What about Toyota fortuner and Pajero Sport,both other real SUVs per say,why don't we compare Storme with them rather than comparing it with pseudo SUVs who have got literally no go anywhere credentials which I think should be an important criteria for those looking at SUVs.

Compare it with Fortuner and Pajero Sport(bear in mind both cost around INR 30lakhs on the road),it has got:

1.4 channel ABS whilst both the above have got only 2 channel.

2. All 4 disc brakes,how can you think a 2 din is more important than this life saving feature which the other real SUVs worth 30 lakhs haven't got.[frustration]

Yes I agree cruise control and ACC should have been there but is it deal breaker,NOPE!!

And thanks to the hydroformed chassis and new suspension its ride and handling is much better than other overpriced REAL SUVs.

Love or hate you can not debate that Storme is the most VFM (*real*)SUV this side of 20 lakhs,because face it there is no real competition for this 'real' SUV.

So called soft-roaders can try as hard but they'll always remain wannabees,all show and no go.

While Storme is super show with real go!!Deal with it bro,cause its nothing but the truth[lol]
Xover

I think when people complain that storme is ill equipped what they actually mean is that it lacks " bling & jaaz inside this is my guess.

Actually it has everything what every driver needs , it just lacks bling and jaaz which you might show to your friends and brag and also some features which " may" or " may not " be really helpfull in everyday driving example 2 din , cruise control , tyretronics , lounge lights , a disco instrument cluster .

The bling and jaaz in a way may or may not aid the driver but at times it does justifies a basic thought of " I paid less and got more " , and makes one feel he has made a perfect intelligent choice .( humans like to enjoy the feeling of being intelligent [:D])

To give you a example mahindra has given voice commands in new xylo , the sweet voice of a lady ask me my command I say start wipers she confirms my commands and the wiper starts , in actual functional way I would not even take 2 seconds to start the wiper manually by using the wiper stalk .

But voice controls sound cool and a great to impress your fellow passenger and guest in your car , or atleast give you a feel that wow I have fantastic features offered in a given price .

Storme misses this bling which would have given it a good edge in terms of sales .
One feature which I feel tata could have provided was ESP , that was something very important which they missed .

And btw fortuner can get away with practically anything since its a Toyota another name for reliability in India , and tata is still atleast some miles away from the word " reliability " , atleast that's what the perception of tata motors is in India ( right or wrong can be debated [:)] )

Last edited:

At least for me , a Touch screen Multimedia Interface with GPS navigation , Cruise Control along with All wheel Disc breaks with ABS [4-channel]+EBD and Air bags are MUST have features in my next SUV upgrade. These are at least no nonsense [Disco] equipments for me. The ride quality, good space management fit and finish and engine performance are standard requirements though. A storme equipped with all these, priced at say 11-15L would have made justice to the name SAFARI. Considering the improvement in the fit and finish/build quality it would have certainly eaten in to Fortuner Territory.Any day I would prefer a feeling of " I got what I have paid for " than "I paid more and got less". [;)]

When XUV [unfortunately the only product I see here] comes out with those no nonsense equipment levels, Tata should have done better with storme. With all these improvements with the famous ride quality and space they should have incorporated a few more comfort/luxury features even at the cost of pricing it about 50-75k+. Once the market is stirred with a full blown product, they can always work on ASS efficiency by showing signs to the public that they are there to address any issues if at all any exist.

What is the point of rear jump seats then,is it a goods carrier or pick up truck?

You mean to say this is a new Tata "standard" car a seven seater SUV which can accommodate 5 passenger only,great I call it ergonomic mess up!

Mind you Aria is not an Suv ,no matter how much they crib.
To be practical what is the use of calling something as 7 seater which qualify as 5 seater by its space and please check those SUV/MUV/LUV which you call seven seaters and their space and infact sit in travel in them, then you will understand why I am calling a 5 seater as 5 seater only, then it is upto you how do you utilise the jump seats area.

Does this statement sound a bit rude?Or is it just me.If people have such an attitude...[frustration]

When I spent 12L+ which I have earned over the years, I do have the right to say that I expect some better equipment levels in a vehicle in my shortlist. I have never pointed out about storme's riding quality, handling or engine performance which I know I can do it only after I test drive one. But to point out some non existent features in a vehicle I don't have to see it in flesh.
You are open to buy anything you like, if you do not like what Storm offers in 12+ lakhs you will never buy it and people who feel it is worth then they will buy as simple as that, tastes differ buddy

At least for me , a Touch screen Multimedia Interface with GPS navigation , Cruise Control along with All wheel Disc breaks with ABS [4-channel]+EBD and Air bags are MUST have features in my next SUV upgrade. These are at least no nonsense [Disco] equipments for me. The ride quality, good space management fit and finish and engine performance are standard requirements though. A storme equipped with all these, priced at say 11-15L would have made justice to the name SAFARI. Considering the improvement in the fit and finish/build quality it would have certainly eaten in to Fortuner Territory.Any day I would prefer a feeling of " I got what I have paid for " than "I paid more and got less". [;)]

When XUV [unfortunately the only product I see here] comes out with those no nonsense equipment levels, Tata should have done better with storme. With all these improvements with the famous ride quality and space they should have incorporated a few more comfort/luxury features even at the cost of pricing it about 50-75k+. Once the market is stirred with a full blown product, they can always work on ASS efficiency by showing signs to the public that they are there to address any issues if at all any exist.
You wish will be fulfilled soon, wait till 2015 for Storm V2[:)]

I don't know why people are saying that Storme has no features,REALLY? What about Toyota fortuner and Pajero Sport,both other real SUVs per say,why don't we compare Storme with them rather than comparing it with pseudo SUVs who have got literally no go anywhere credentials which I think should be an important criteria for those looking at SUVs.
Fortuner and Pajero, eh..sometimes one need to drive a car to know what it really is. Xovy dear, kindly try your hand on both of them once and then tell me. There is a lot more than what we ave read in magazines etc.

Compare it with Fortuner and Pajero Sport(bear in mind both cost around INR 30lakhs on the road),it has got:
You can, but this comparo is simply unjustified.

1.4 channel ABS whilst both the above have got only 2 channel.

2. All 4 disc brakes,how can you think a 2 din is more important than this life saving feature which the other real SUVs worth 30 lakhs haven't got.

All 4 discs and 4 channel ABS..okay, what about braking distance? What matters is the braking distance not discs and all. Example: A Honda City brakes better than a Verna if you fit it with 195 section rubber(same size as of Verna) while City has only front discs and Verna has all four. Sorry my dear, but IMHO, only having 4 discs is not sufficient.

And thanks to the hydroformed chassis and new suspension its ride and handling is much better than other overpriced REAL SUVs.
There is a lot more than what meets the eye my dear.

Love or hate you can not debate that Storme is the most VFM (*real*)SUV this side of 20 lakhs,because face it there is no real competition for this 'real' SUV.
+100...

So called soft-roaders can try as hard but they'll always remain wannabees,all show and no go.

While Storme is super show with real go!!Deal with it bro,cause its nothing but the truth[lol]
Hmm, on the name of 'REAL' SUV under 20 lac, it is Storme, because there is nothing else available at the price to compete with it directly.

+100, Tata needs to work a lot on the vehicle to make it the winner.

Xover

I think when people complain that storme is ill equipped what they actually mean is that it lacks " bling & jaaz inside this is my guess.

Actually it has everything what every driver needs , it just lacks bling and jaaz which you might show to your friends and brag and also some features which " may" or " may not " be really helpfull in everyday driving example 2 din , cruise control , tyretronics , lounge lights , a disco instrument cluster .

The bling and jaaz in a way may or may not aid the driver but at times it does justifies a basic thought of " I paid less and got more " , and makes one feel he has made a perfect intelligent choice .( humans like to enjoy the feeling of being intelligent [:D])

To give you a example mahindra has given voice commands in new xylo , the sweet voice of a lady ask me my command I say start wipers she confirms my commands and the wiper starts , in actual functional way I would not even take 2 seconds to start the wiper manually by using the wiper stalk .

But voice controls sound cool and a great to impress your fellow passenger and guest in your car , or atleast give you a feel that wow I have fantastic features offered in a given price .

Storme misses this bling which would have given it a good edge in terms of sales .
One feature which I feel tata could have provided was ESP , that was something very important which they missed .

And btw fortuner can get away with practically anything since its a Toyota another name for reliability in India , and tata is still atleast some miles away from the word " reliability " , atleast that's what the perception of tata motors is in India ( right or wrong can be debated [:)] )

It has nothing to do or least to do with Name in current scenario either of T's, Mahindra is worse than Tata but look how they faired better and took best share of Suv market in India.

Considering the improvement in the fit and finish/build quality it would have certainly eaten in to Fortuner Territory.Any day I would prefer a feeling of " I got what I have paid for " than "I paid more and got less".
I agree with Manoj.

While we pay we look forward to be rewarded best, a courtesy we expect from manufacturers in competition.

Storme lacks an optional slot for 2 din, it would have justified if I could throw in an after market one touch screen but situation is mindless and pathetic.

come on We are in the world of touch screen and gps .

I would have been much happy if the Storme was launched thoughtfully catering diverse interest of people say Storme with rear bucket seats optional jump seats .

To conclude I am forced to believe that Tata is ignorant of what people want and least bothered about current trend.

Todays market is driven by customer not vice versa.

Time will tell us if it was intentional or accidental;they got it messed up.

your expectations from the vehicle regarding essential features for the given money your spending is legitimate ,you have full rights to excercise your choice. And people with similar views like you may stay away from storme .

Its like people buy a etios over a feature laden manza and some buy a manza over a feature less etios. to each his own

your expectations from the vehicle regarding essential features for the given money your spending is legitimate ,you have full rights to excercise your choice. And people with similar views like you may stay away from storme .

Its like people buy a etios over a feature laden manza and some buy a manza over a feature less etios. to each his own
True, but what we expect is a game changing product. Nano gave us some hope but it went aflame.
We expected so much from Storme considering some Influence from JLR but nothing more than a mediocre product for present standards.This is sure disappointing.
At least I was expecting it to be ahead of XUV5oo;the one which stirred lot of interest and excitement.After an year of Xuv launch Storme was supposed to make the scenario even more exciting ,but Alas we are left justifying.

We prefer to bet on winners right ?

For all those safari STORME fans
That Ad reminds me that, even a bike can do better than Storme in offroad...Dont want to see it again.Darn!!

Last edited:

True, but what we expect is a game changing product. Nano gave us some hope but it went aflame.
We expected so much from Storme considering some Influence from JLR but nothing more than a mediocre product for present standards.This is sure disappointing.
At least I was expecting it to be ahead of XUV5oo;the one which stirred lot of interest and excitement.After an year of Xuv launch Storme was supposed to make the scenario even more exciting ,but Alas we are left justifying.

We prefer to bet on winners right ?
medicore product as per you in what parameters? Features ? Bling featuresi agree it lacks terribly.

Can xuv do offroading like storme. And IMHO xuv doesn't have ride quality like storme.

The review says it has many class leading things ,iam curious to know what medicore things you found.

Last edited:

medicore product as per you in what parameters? Features ? Bling featuresi agree it lacks terribly.

Can xuv do offroading like storme. And IMHO xuv doesn't have ride quality like storme.

The review says it has many class leading things ,iam curious to know what medicore things you found.
Performance
Equipment list
Ergonomics
Flexibility

Please dont bring class leading Hydrofoam chassis here,I am already getting allergic to that word whenever member Xover utters it religiously.

In 2012 this car came like a Symbian Super smartfone with 300mhz processor,heavy as leadblock looking like a pencil box and some needful features like dialer and 3g with 132MB of storage but suffers with fluid UI,compatibility,no camera,no memory card slot ...sigh we are confused against manufacturer claims if it is a smartfone or just ordinary mobile Phone ?

nothing more than a mediocre product for present standards.This is sure disappointing.
Exactly same was my impression after TDing the vehicle, yes it had a lot to go for but still it was not that special as an overall product.

Not only you, even I was also expecting the same, but at the end I was left disappointed. Sorry to say but I still find XUV a better product overall, it deserves some extr cash as compared to Storme.

That Ad reminds me that, even a bike can do better than Storme in offroad...Dont want to see it again.Darn!!
My buddy, a bike can do better than even a rangie off the road.

Performance
Equipment list
Ergonomics
Flexibility
Ergonomically the vehicle is acceptable for me and same is with flexibility but performance and equipment list are on the disappointing side.

Please dont bring class leading Hydrofoam chassis here,I am already getting allergic to that word whenever member Xover utters it religiously.
How is hydroform chassis class leading BTW?? I mean, except some added rigidity which results in a more confident handling and lower body roll(but how much is chassis responsible for it and how much is suspension??[confused]), I haven't found anything so special.

In 2012 this car came like a Symbian Super smartfone with 300mhz processor,heavy as leadblock looking like a pencil box and some needful features like dialer and 3g with 132MB of storage but suffers with fluid UI,compatibility,no camera,no memory card slot ...sigh we are confused against manufacturer claims if it is a smartfone or just ordinary mobile Phone ?
+100[:)]

Performance
Equipment list
Ergonomics
Flexibility

@ jaydev

1) perfomance - what is wrong with perfomance ? As per the review and many test drives from members all have not uttered a single wrong word about its perfomance . What are your precise expectations ? Please don't come up with 160 BHP and 6 speed auto box because then price will go up and you will crib about it .[:)] beside that it has a ride quality which can put 25 lakhs SUV to shame . Superb n.v.h levels ( class leading according to the review ) and superb engine refinement .

2) flexibility - jaydev ask people who have driven the storme and even the review says its nimble to drive in city with best in class turning radius , its a excellent highway cruiser , and a capable off roader what else flexibility you want here ?

3) ergonomics - what is the problem here ? It has extremely comfortable sofa like seats , fantastic driving position , no blind spots superb view of the road ahead too. Here I would seriously suggest you to seat in the storme and then comment . Looking at the pics you just can't comment about ergonomic issues .

4) equipment list - it lacks all the jaaz and bling I agree and has all the important things one needs , though cruise control and more imp ESP was required and i agree with you here .

And are you seriously comparing a bike with a storme , that bike is not a ordinary bike it is a dirt bike which if iam not mistaken not easily available beside that one needs high level of physical fitness to ride it , and special training too . And 5 people can sit in comfort with ac on and storme will do all that what a dirt bike does inspite of being a 2 tonner .

http://www.dirt-bike-tips-and-pics.com/motocross-fitness.html
Kindly go through this link and read what one requires to drive a dirt bike , just a small expert

"dirt bike riding is one of the most physically demanding sports in the world ".

Be a critic of storme , we need that only then car makers can understand the buyers mind . Subjective points about expectations raised by Manoj were superb , and storme is not a perfect car like any other car but you are going a extra mile in making it look like a useless product which it is definitely not .

Last edited:

Guys everyone wait will be over by mid 2013. News from Cardekh.com

CarDekho recently brought you the information on the higher version of the recently launched Tata Safari Storme, which is expected to enter the market in July 2013. Our close sources have further revealed information on the specifications of not just the upgraded Strome, but the AT version of the company’s flagship crossover, Tata Aria as well. As per the information we have, Tata Motors is currently working on the upgraded Safari Storme, which will have some major add-ons both inside and out. While inside the cabin, it will additionally have Harman Kardon music system, 10 speakers along with touch-screen navigation system support, there will be some major changes under the hood as well, helping it become even more powerful and sportier in character than the existing version. The upgraded Safari Storme will carry an even more powerful engine, which will churn out the maximum power output of 160-170bhp and around 400Nm of torque, proving it to be the most powerful vehicle of its segment.
Our sources further disclose that there will also be an automatic version of the Safari Storme by the year end, which will again give it a competitive edge over other competitors, who still offer manual transmission. What will make the Storme Automatic even more desirable is the fact that the 6- speed automatic transmission gearbox is designed by the world renowned ZF Friedrichshafen AG, the specialist automotive engineering company. ZF is the same group that designed world’s first 5-speed, 6-speed and 9-speed automatic transmissions and is offering its services to various major auto companies in the world.

The AT Aria had already done one round of international testing even before it was showcased at the auto expo. But as they say creativity and innovations never go in vain, success is just the right time away, and it seems to be the right time for the Aria, as we have seen Indians’ shift towards good utility vehicles in recent times. And if other media reports are to be believed, there will be a compact version of the Aria in India by 2014.

Tata to Launch Safari Storme's Advanced Version, Safari Storme AT and Aria AT- Exclusive | CarDekho.com

to all those mentioning it as a better for being a 5 seater, there is a duster.
Better ride quality,better GC,better power to weight ratio,better FE. Better dimensions for an SUV.
Not to forget it has an option for satnav ,2 Din audio too.
Simply put this product should have been launched atleast 3 years early than 2012 to be considered as competition to the current lot.
For those wanting a fortuner,there is no replacement for the T badge currently.

Loved the review IR.
it was like being present along for the TD.

Top Bottom