Tata Safari 3.0L Dicor: Ownership Report

Thread Starter #151
i used to get it service every 7500 KM what i have seen after 7500 oil loses its quality i mean you don't feel oil slippery when you put it in your hand and smell more burned then usually so after lot of trial i found 7500 is best KM for 3.0

Well my dad also used to change the oil every 7500 KMS but once i took over the car i changed it only every 10k KMS , no issues with the engine so far.

@Mastersquall and Cooldhaya:
I too get the oil change done anywhere between 6000-7500 kms(600 if city/hilly run is higher and 7500 if highway crunching is higher) for my Innova,result-my car is still running as strong as it was new.Which oil do you people use?
I use only synthetic..ONLY SHELL HELIX.

@Master:
Congrats for selling an older one too,because now you can forget the sorrow of partition and get a newer and more sophisticated beast for you.

i used to get it service every 7500 KM what i have seen after 7500 oil loses its quality i mean you don't feel oil slippery when you put it in your hand and smell more burned then usually so after lot of trial i found 7500 is best KM for 3.0
Well my dad also used to change the oil every 7500 KMS but once i took over the car i changed it only every 10k KMS , no issues with the engine so far.
Hey, could both of you tell me the recommended oil or the best suited oil and riding habits for this type engine, usually I did'nt revv'ed above 2K rom in my older Safari (it was having idling @1K rpm). As I have seen that this 3.0L motor idles at 500 rpm what's the ideal rpm for best mileage?

P.S: I am a no spirited driver and drive with only mileage in perspective.[:)]

@Mercedised:
I too have once owned a very low mileage used Safari 2.2 for 4 months,since it was an EX so it didn't had ABS and airbags,which was a very big reason for us to say it goodbye.
Firstly i am amazed to read that you never revved your Safari over 2k rpm,I really can't believe it.If I can then I am sure you have never crossed even 60 kph speed.

Since you don't drive spirited so the best way to get a good FE is to drive the car at about 2000-3000 rpms,due to which the turbo will be activated hence engine will not feel that much load and driving will be quite easy too.Also this will translate to a good and moderate speed drive(about 70-80 kph)which will get you best FE.

Thread Starter #156
@Mastersquall and Cooldhaya:
I too get the oil change done anywhere between 6000-7500 kms(600 if city/hilly run is higher and 7500 if highway crunching is higher) for my Innova,result-my car is still running as strong as it was new.Which oil do you people use?
I use only synthetic..ONLY SHELL HELIX.

@Master:
Congrats for selling an older one too,because now you can forget the sorrow of partition and get a newer and more sophisticated beast for you.
i used normal oil which tata put because synthetic need little bit idle before you start using it :/ and i hate waiting .

Well right now searching for sierra but after seeing 5cars and there chassis were worse so in the end i gave up . So now i am searching for 4X4 Safari but everywhere i look just meet dead end [cry]

Hey, could both of you tell me the recommended oil or the best suited oil and riding habits for this type engine, usually I did'nt revv'ed above 2K rom in my older Safari (it was having idling @1K rpm). As I have seen that this 3.0L motor idles at 500 rpm what's the ideal rpm for best mileage?

i never really cared about engine oil because this beast was service at TATA only . About idle this car idle around 850 not 500 .

About Best FE just change gear before RPM hit 2K
In the End you will get 11-12 with AC in city without AC you can expect 13 but i never drive my safari without AC and 15 with AC on Highway i even got 17 in winter when i didn't used AC [evil]

Also after lot of city drive i recommend that once in month do take car to 3K RPM and 100 speed to make this beast happy

@Mercedised:
I too have once owned a very low mileage used Safari 2.2 for 4 months,since it was an EX so it didn't had ABS and airbags,which was a very big reason for us to say it goodbye.
Firstly i am amazed to read that you never revved your Safari over 2k rpm,I really can't believe it.If I can then I am sure you have never crossed even 60 kph speed.

Since you don't drive spirited so the best way to get a good FE is to drive the car at about 2000-3000 rpms,due to which the turbo will be activated hence engine will not feel that much load and driving will be quite easy too.Also this will translate to a good and moderate speed drive(about 70-80 kph)which will get you best FE.
Why did you even brought the safari . also about safari it respond differently atleast in my case if you change gear before 2K you FE if after you get performance

@Mercedised:
My mistake.[frustration] I actually ought to say that during gearshifts I never climb her above 2K rpm (I was owner of a TCIC Safari) and it happily did 80kmph@2k rpm. I only occasionally took her to 100kmph and she did give mileage between 13-15kmpl.:)

Why did you even brought the safari . also about safari it respond differently atleast in my case if you change gear before 2K you FE if after you get performance
IMO Safari is best at cruising and not for a performance enthusiastic. (just my share of thought) I expect 15kmpl from her atleast at highway speeds.

And about the rpm thingy, I drove a fewer of 3.0L DICORs and they had idling settled between 500-600 rpm. Might be they were at fault.

I forgot to ask you whether those alloys made any significant difference in ride quality or I have heard that alloys make the alignment go out? how true is that? My Safari has also got the same alloys as your had.

OT: Do you have FaceBook ID?

Thread Starter #158
i don't know about you but i am both speed freak as well as slow driver when i get in mood(usually once month) i change gear only when it hit 3.5 RPM loved its pickup and power and feeling it gives just blow my mind off .

now back to question
well 5years on alloy with upsize tire done alignment only 4times(in which 2times because of my mistake like hitting divider and once i was in speed hit very dip pathhole) . also alloy's are good for car which has disk brake as it let brake cool faster and also with alloy's car look more hot

I also don't know about the oil because the car was always serviced at TATA'S workshops. Shift the gear at around2k rpm if you want good FE. Safari 3.0L DICOR cruises comfortably at 80kmph 5th gear 2k rpm. The best FE i got was 14.5kmpl with 100% AC ON in highways and in Chennai city traffic i used to get 10-11kmpl.

@mastersquall:

My Tata Safari DICOR is emitting considerable black smoke at IDLE. We got the injectors serviced today only, what might be the problem? Everything else is fine including the pick-up, smoothness of engine.:)

Thread Starter #164
Don't know about the fuel consumption, but we have already reseted the ECU. Although the air filter is full of dust, could it be the cause of excessive smoke?
turn on safari keep it idle till its temp. start going up. see if it still emit smoke

also I can only thing two which can create this problem

1. air filter
2. bad fuel

also start safari and keep it in neutral and press accerlater and keep rpm needle near 3000 for 30sec it should clear exhaust

Last edited:
hey mastersquall, why don't you wait for tata Merlin mate, its going to blow the roof, just wait till oct 11 and you will have all the answers,if you'r looking for one.

Top Bottom