Tata Punch (HBX): New Micro SUV

I found the profile very similar to the KUV100 and equally ungainly.
The C-SUV requirements after axing the length below 4m (the high G.C. requirement mainly) become increasingly difficult to reconcile with aesthetic appeal
and ends up being..........well, just ungainly!

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Motors Confirms HBX Name For Upcoming Micro SUV; First Teaser Out

The upcoming HBX micro SUV is one of the highly-awaited cars from Tata Motors' stable that is likely to go on sale in the coming months. Ahead of its official debut, the home-grown automaker has dropped the first teaser video of the SUV on social media platforms. The carmaker will use the HBX moniker for the production version of its micro SUV, confirming that it would be christened - Tata HBX. The teaser also gives us the first glimpse of the model's upfront design, which is likely to be carry forwarded from the concept car that was showcased at the Auto Expo 2020.

Read

Some way, I feel HBX will not be the actual name.
They may be using HBX as a secret name and the actual name maybe revealed at the time of initial display of the vehicle.

Let's see what has TATA motors left for us to see.

TATA punch. Hmmm, Car looks good and attractive in the production avatar. Have to look at in the flesh though.

Will this car deliver a sucker punch to market? Time will tell. A possible 5 star safety rated car (based on Altroz platform), will do just that, punch.

Name is the weakness for the car. What will i say when i (hypothetically) buy the car say to you guys, hey, i got a punch? Where will you look, at my eyes, my face or my garage? Or I would join the group of Punchers? Name wise I am not so happy with Tata motors naming dept right from Safari and this Punch. their code names have much better sound byte, Kite, Hornbill, HBX, H5X in fact still liked th tigor, Altroz but Punch kinda is turn off.
Well, if Creta, Laura, Spresso can sell why not Punch?

Well that said the rant over, coming the car this car if priced aggressively will sure deliver the knock out punch in the couple of bordering segments in the industry.

The car looks like an SUV and very proportionate. So people wanting Harrier / Safari but on tight budget will surely want to have a look at this car. However look wise the open design of the grille exposing the radiator is surely turn off. Atleast close mesh would have looked better if not those skidplates. again very necessary since any flying debris on road may get way to hit the radiator. Apart from that I am sure, this car too may fly with 4 or 5 star afety rating. Albiet wonder why Tata have become lax in their usp and have not released the safety rating of their Flagships yet. With regards to power delivery i guess, it to be at par if not better with Altroz.So will be a punchy drive car.
Features it will have many.

So all in all i feel it will be great package and Tata can hope to have a 4 figure sales opening for the car and have a healthy backlog month after month.

Last edited:
The car looks well proportionate and good looking. Very much SUVish stance. But needs some Chrome embellishment to bolster the looks. Some tri-arrow chrome treatment in the lower grill and a sirt of skid plate will make it macho. Will surely be a good seller.

My mom needs a small but SUVish car. This will be a good alternative to her.

People will grow over the name in sometime as with other offerings.
The car looks like an SUV and very proportionate. So people wanting Harrier / Safari but on tight budget will surely want to have a look at this car. However look wise the open design of the grille exposing the radiator is surely turn off.

So all in all i feel it will be great package and Tata can hope to have a 4 figure sales opening for the car and have a healthy backlog month after month.
Don't think people of Safari category will cross shop the PUNCH. Say TIAGO, SWIFT or i10 buyers may.

Here's my detailed analysis of the new Tata Punch (eww... HBX/Hornbill was better)
English:
Tamil:

According to me this is going to compete with everything starting from the top variants of the S presso and Kwid which itself costs more than 6L on road, direct rivals including Ignis and KUV100; with fully loaded top end variants challenging the 1.0L non turbo versions of the Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger ; and finally the 1.2L non turbo variants of the Hyundai Venue and Kia Sonet.
With a wider cabin and taller stance than the Magnite or Venue, this HBX could be an ideal rival for those small SUV buyers.

Here's my detailed analysis of the new Tata Punch (eww... HBX/Hornbill was better)
According to me this is going to compete with everything starting from the top variants of the S presso and Kwid which itself costs more than 6L on road, direct rivals including Ignis and KUV100; with fully loaded top end variants challenging the 1.0L non turbo versions of the Nissan Magnite and Renault Kiger ; and finally the 1.2L non turbo variants of the Hyundai Venue and Kia Sonet.
With a wider cabin and taller stance than the Magnite or Venue, this HBX could be an ideal rival for those small SUV buyers.
Basically what i feel is the Premium Hatchback Baleno, i20, Altroz, buyers who may not want to go to the Sub 4M CSUV will surely look at this car,
The Small segments Kwid, Spresso, Tiago will also like to stretch to get this car (may be)
Direct competition is Ignis and KUV so there will be some takers for the punch.

Will book on day 1
Thats a very good choice.

That will be the best looking and featured small SUVish hatch in the market when it is launched. I am sure Tata will want to have great numbers for it so anticipating great introductory pricing. Since it is based on Alpha arc, expect it to be again safe like Altroz. Features, Safety and great ride and handling should be the hallmark of this vehicle. Looking at how Altroz performs, it should also be a peppy performer. so its a winner package out there for grabs.

Top Bottom