Tata Punch (HBX): New Micro SUV

Tata To Launch New Micro SUV on AMP Platform

If the Reports are to be believed, Tata are working on the new Micro SUV based on the AMP platform, Which will rival the KUV100 and Ignis.

Last year, Tata Motors entered the sub-4 metre SUV segment with the Nexon. In 2021, the company will launch a smaller SUV codenamed ‘Tata Hornbill’, says a fresh report from The Economic Times.

The Tata Hornbill will slot below the Tata Nexon, competing with the Maruti Ignis and the upcoming Hyundai micro SUV.
The Tata Hornbill is the same model that was reported last year with the codename ‘Tata X445’. It will compete with micro-SUVs Maruti Ignis and Mahindra KUV100. Codenamed ‘Tata X445’, this model was initially to arrive in 2022, but Tata Motors has preponed the launch after relooking the segment.

Asked for a comment on the Tata X445, Mayank Pareek, President, Tata Motors (PV division), refused, but acknowledged that there is a great potential for such a product.

“People who have been purchasing hatchbacks for years will be looking for an upgrade. India sells over 1 million hatchbacks every year. Almost 58% of the owners replace their car every six years (and for them) the micro or small SUV becomes a good alternative,” Pareek said.

The Tata Nexon is the last model underpinned by the Tata X1 platform, which supports the Tata Zest and Tata Bolt. The Tata Hornbill will ride on the Advanced Modular Platform, which will debut in the Tata 45X in CY2019 and underpin a mid-size sedan the following year.

Though Tata Motors is working in various directions to meet the upcoming BS6 norms, a turbocharged petrol engine would make the X445 a costly affair considering its rivals and positioning. TML could offer the X445 with a 1.2-litre naturally aspirated petrol engine, maybe a refitted Tata Tiago’s unit or a newly developed unit, along with manual and automated versions of the TA65 5-speed transmission. It is to be noted that the Mahindra KUV100 and the Maruti Ignis don't come with turbo petrol engines but get AMT.

source: https://indianautosblog.com/2018/08/tata-hornbill-micro-suv-arriving-2021-313418

Re: Tata’s Micro SUV To Rival Mahindra KUV in 2018

A BSVI compliant with all bells and whistles, and a killer price tag, TaMo you have a winner at hand.

Tweaked tiago twins engine, will have the competition sweating.

Now where does that fit into my garage? Bring it on 2020 time-line.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Competitor to Ignis & KUV is a good move. I would say, a good diesel engine with 4 cyl can be a big edge over Ignis (since Ignis diesel isn't there now). Impact 2 Design language with a good price is a perfect recipe of success. TML has been successful with the hatchbacks be it the erstwhile Indica or the latest being the Tiago. So, if everything falls in right place, this can also be another success story. Competing to KUV-1OO, I feel, both TML and M&M have sound backup when it comes to SUV(s) for India so it would be interesting to see the competition among the two. Design wise, I feel Impact Design 2 will surely have an edge!

Now where does that fit into my garage? Bring it on 2020 time-line.
As an upgrade for the Nano maybe[:D]

Regards

Akash

Now for the X445 which is slated to be KUV,ignis rival there is some comment floating in one of the other automotive forum, One for thier user, seem to have seen the prototype of this car and says that the car profile is pretty much the same as seen here in this image.

Tata-Motors-AMP.jpg

Well if that is the case, not sure if we can call this car a SUV because the outline does not seem SUVish but more like a hatchback. Well unless Tata pull of some magic they did on nexon, it will not be called SUV. Remember during nexon tests there were many comments stating that its a indica type hatch nowhere it has SUV characteristic however, when we saw Nexon in flesh (i mean real steel) it was different story altogether.

Now for the X445 which is slated to be KUV,ignis rival there is some comment floating in one of the other automotive forum, One for thier user, seem to have seen the prototype of this car and says that the car profile is pretty much the same as seen here in this image.

View attachment 247342

Well if that is the case, not sure if we can call this car a SUV because the outline does not seem SUVish but more like a hatchback. Well unless Tata pull of some magic they did on nexon, it will not be called SUV. Remember during nexon tests there were many comments stating that its a indica type hatch nowhere it has SUV characteristic however, when we saw Nexon in flesh (i mean real steel) it was different story altogether.
As i Mentioned in the thread earlier and what I heard from one of the horse's mouth earlier this year or last year, the car would be near to Kwid's design profile rather than KUV however it was the initial design idea. We might see a different approach now as Hyundai is also planning a micro SUV and the pull of Indian public towards SUV stance and design.

Let's see what we will get from Tata this time, a Nexon's younger brother or Kwid's elder brother[;)]

well, the space of micro SUV is catching up, as lined up by Hyundai new santro, Maruti up coming ZEN, and then the TATA's new one. I am expecting a lot on the micro SUV from TATA. The design with their latest product is impressive with Tiago, Hexa and NEXON. No more egg hatched chicks, time for the muscled designs, i pray their heart is turbo powered and not weak 1 liters.

We are at times when SUVs are getting smaller and HatchBacks are getting bigger. Tata is following a similar path. But being Tata I can vouch this should be space optimized vehicle like all other ones.
You nailed it [;)]

I had one Idea which might suit this Baby SUV as well

Use a layout like Nano, rear-engined SUV with boot space under the bonnet, with this space can be utilized amazingly with rear wheel power delivery for better traction- Just a thought

Well, I'm really not sure about this move. I think instead of ignis, kuv segment (which I would still call a hatchbacks), they should compete against freestyle, i20 active i.e. crossovers IMO. Freestyle has certainly set a norm in this segment in terms of safety(ARP, ESP, TCS, 6-airbags etc in top-end) along with one of the best in class infotainment systems sync3, that too around the price tag of 8L. Even the top-1 gets most of these safety features, though a different info. system. So a younger sibling of Nexon, with the same 1.2 turbocharged engine, in this segment would have been a better move, IMO. [:)]

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Tata micro-SUV leaked in official teaser of 45X and Harrier H5X?

Tata Motors gears up for launch of a new micro SUV, which is reportedly going to be called the Hornbill. The project development is codename ‘Tata X445’.

Initially set for launch by 2022, new report suggests that the launch has been pre-poned – considering the increased demand in its segment. In addition to this, there are not many players in the segment as of now, which gives Tata an added advantage to enter the segment and get the first movers advantage.

tata-hornbill-micro-suv-india-launch.jpg

Tata Hornbill SUV will be positioned on the new Advanced Modular Platform. The first car to be launched on the basis of this platform is 45X, which was showcased as a concept at the 2018 Auto Expo. Tata Hornbill will compete with the likes of Maruti Ignis and Mahindra KUV100 in India.

It will boast of aggressive features such as a high set hood, new grille flanked by sleek headlamps and C shaped bumpers. Tata Hornbill will also boast of large fenders, black C pillars and a floating roofline, all of which combine to give the micro-SUV an aggressive stance. It will sit on segment leading 15” wheels which also add to its sporty appeal.

tata-45x-hatch-large-5.jpg

Powering a micro-SUV with a turbocharged engine will be an expensive proposition and hence Tata Hornbill could be powered by a 1.2 liter naturally aspirated petrol engine which also powers the Tiago. This engine will be mated to both 5 speed manual and 5 speed automatic manual transmission (AMT) options and will comply with new BS VI emission norms.

With launch of the new Tata Hornbill, the company targets buyers who have been purchasing hatchbacks for years but now seek a more promising upgrade. Apart from this, there are many more cars coming from Tata Motors, including a sedan to rival Maruti Ciaz. You can watch the teaser video here.

Source:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Hornbill Micro SUV Could Debut At 2020 Auto Expo

Tata-Hornbill-production-model-rendered-1.jpg

Tata Motors is all pumped for an important year ahead as 2019 will see two big launches in Harrier and X451 premium hatchback. The Harrier five-seater premium SUV will compete against the likes of Hyundai Creta and upcoming Nissan Kicks, the X451 will target the segment currently ruled by Maruti Suzuki Baleno and Hyundai Elite i20.

Read:

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Tata Hornbill SUV X445 Global Premiere Likely In March 2019

Tata-Hornbill-production-model-rendered-1.jpg

The Hornbill could launch during the course of 2020. It is only logical to assume that the Hornbill will use BSVI compliant petrol and diesel engines and they could be derived from the Tiago with extra dose of performance. Both manual and AMT transmission choices are expected to be on board.

Read:

Tata Hornbill SUV X445 Global Premiere Likely In March 2019

The Hornbill could launch during the course of 2020. It is only logical to assume that the Hornbill will use BSVI compliant petrol and diesel engines and they could be derived from the Tiago with extra dose of performance. Both manual and AMT transmission choices are expected to be on board.

Read:
Dont you all think that this "Hornbill" has many characterstics of the Nexon???

Top Bottom