Tata Punch (HBX): New Micro SUV

Thread Starter #1
TATA motors is exploring launching a micro SUV to rival Mahindra's KUV and Suzuki's upcoming Ignis.
Seeing the success of Mahindra's KUV, Tata fast tracks the earlier Dolphin project.

As part of its Horizon Next strategy, Tata Motors plans to launch a slew of new models every year till 2020 as it seeks to resurrect its position in India’s competitive passenger car market.
Code-named X451, the development of the new model, which was conceived in 2013 under a project named “Dolphin”, is now being fast-tracked and is set to go into production in 2017-18.

With an SUV-like stance and car-like features, the so-called micro SUV, of which the company plans an initial volume of 25,000-30,000 units
Micro_SUV

Last edited:
If this is premium car then, it should come up with premium features like,

- Auto Rain sensing wiper
- Auto headlights
- Follow me headlights
- Auto Folding ORVM's on Lock
- Anti Pinch all 4 Windows
- Touch Screen infotainment system +GPS
- bigger tyre [on 16" alloys]

and Safety like
- 6 Airbags
- ESP + TCS

then I would call this a premium car.

Customer should ask/demand for safety features rather than chunky graphics and chrome finish.

Although great design from TATA.

Re: Tata’s Micro SUV To Rival Mahindra KUV in 2018

Then demand for a price in Tiago league or it will become dud like Aria.
What commands is the performance of the engine than sensors.
Premium and VFM product is to balance fromTML

The rendering is more in line with Nexon!! Let's wait for sightings to get a clearer picture
Tata can actually get this car ready in a very less time if they want. They already have tested the engine on Nexon. They can use same platform from Nexon/Bolt. The glass & roof area can be a straight pull from Nexon or even Infotainment system as well.

If the rendering is something to go with then Tata X451 need:

1) Touch screen(multi touch) infotainment system including maps, Rear view camera and sensors display inbuilt.
2) Better tires than Bolt
3) Space like Bolt not Tiago
4) 6 Speed gear box & automatic tranny as well from the time of launch
5) 100-110 BHP power on tap
6) DRL's
7) Rear AC unit
8) CSC, ABS with EBD and minimum 2 airbags on base trim and 4-6 on top trim
9) Black colour option with matte colours as well if possible
10) Better Alloy wheels as shown in rendering.

What you say guys[:)]

The rendering is more in line with Nexon!! Let's wait for sightings to get a clearer picture
Exactly! This looks more S-Crossish than SUVish. This looks more like the i20 Elite cross competitor. It should
look more like the Vitara Breeza or something like Wagon-R on steroids with larger 15" wheels.

And Mods please merger 2 forum discussions discussing the same car X451 Premium hatchback
TATA X451-premium-hatchback-rival-hyundai-elite-i20

Last edited:
Although this rendering is fine, it's not upto Tata's design philosophy. Also since the car is expected to be crossover-ish, I presume that it will have some serious aggressive styling elements with rough-road body cladding.

Although this rendering is fine, it's not upto Tata's design philosophy. Also since the car is expected to be crossover-ish, I presume that it will have some serious aggressive styling elements with rough-road body cladding.
As per my understanding the vehicle would be more like Kwid not KUV100 or maybe in between. It will compete with I20 from Hyundai & Baleno from Maruti along with KUV100 from Mahindra, at least price range wise.

Yes we might see some serious aggressive styling elements with rough-road body cladding and if it would be based on Nexon/vista platform then the platform is a high shoulder line platform & will suite the high stance[clap] as I have doubts about AMP (advanced moduler platform) is ready(its early) to be pinned under a production vehicle until unless its based on any existing one ie X0 or X1 or Tata is going to purchase it from someone else as there were news that Tata was in talks with cherry and others for platform sharing.

There is no news of AMP nor any new patent was filled recently for the same as any product or RnD your carry, as OEM the patent office should be informed.

Just purely my thoughts maybe incorrect.

Last edited:

As per my understanding the vehicle would be more like Kwid not KUV100 or maybe in between. It will compete with I20 from Hyundai & Baleno from Maruti along with KUV100 from Mahindra, at least price range wise.
I don't think this will no way compete the i20/Baleno. We already have the NEXON to execute the job. This will Rival the Kwid and the MARUTI's new mini SUV which is under test.

I don't think this will no way compete the i20/Baleno. We already have the NEXON to execute the job. This will Rival the Kwid and the MARUTI's new mini SUV which is under test.
I guess Tata Nexon is a compact SUV that will compete against Maruti Vitara Brezza and Ford Ecosport. And this car (X451) is a direct rival to KUV 1oo and due to its price range Baleno, Jazz and i20 are also included as it's rivals.

an update rather a news/scoop that X451 is actually a car which will be a premium hatchback however it will be designed in such a way that it will have an SUV kind of look ie kwid/KUV to cash on the SUV craze in the market.

It will be feature loaded and the source says that the engine would be way ahead of any car in the price range. Tata is using Ingenium engine tech for the engine. I even learnt that Tiago's engine is also based on the same tech however to extract fuel economy they tuned it pretty differently.

It will be interesting to see the design of this car as to how Pratap Bose will define this beauty[surprise]

an update rather a news/scoop that X451 is actually a car which will be a premium hatchback however it will be designed in such a way that it will have an SUV kind of look ie kwid/KUV to cash on the SUV craze in the market.

It will be feature loaded and the source says that the engine would be way ahead of any car in the price range. Tata is using Ingenium engine tech for the engine. I even learnt that Tiago's engine is also based on the same tech however to extract fuel economy they tuned it pretty differently.

It will be interesting to see the design of this car as to how Pratap Bose will define this beauty[surprise]
Thanks for the info buddy. I assume we can expect atleast 100bhp from their new 1.5 Revotorq as well as 1.2 Turbo petrol for this car.

Thanks for the info buddy. I assume we can expect atleast 100bhp from their new 1.5 Revotorq as well as 1.2 Turbo petrol for this car.
On dyno it is capable of lot more than that with right turbo combination. if 1.05 can extract 74-78 for Kite5(assumption/news) then 1.5 with four cylinder without balancing shaft can do much better[:)]

Top Bottom