Tata Nexon Ownership Review: Living The Nexon Life

Hi,
I am Ankit khare, a new member here from Lucknow UP, I am travel and automobile enthusiast and travelled length and breadth of India in car as well as motorcycle. I have read all posts in this thread and I thank all members for knowledge sharing and informative posts for Nexon. I own May 2019 model Nexon diesel xz+ on 30k odo (90% highway and hills) I also have Alto k10 AMT mostly driven by my wife, this is my first Tata (previously I owned I10 for 9 years, Daewoo Matiz for 6 years, Maruti 800 for 4 years and I am overall happy with ownership of Nexon till now. With Nexon I covered uttarakhand, himachal, sikkim and recently did Ladakh. My nexon never ever dissapointed me or made me stranded. My Nexon is in stock condition and I have just finished extended warranty and p2p in May this year. Following are the niggles and major work done in my nexon -

1. Door sensor changed in warranty.
2. Windshield washer tank changed, leaked on its own.
3. Both head light unit replaced in warranty due to fogging issue.
4. Both rear brake drums and front brake pads replaced in p2p.
5. Recently in May when warranty was about to expire, I replaced my cooling coil and pressure switch in warranty because for past 1 year ice was forming in cooling coil after 2 hr of usage due to which air flow used to block from vents. I had to do tremendous followups for 1 yeae with Tata to convince them to replace cooling coil. Now this issue is also resolved and I am happy that due to mostly highway long driving, I found this issue. Otherwise now I would have to spend almost 25k as replacing cooling coil meeds complete disassembly of dashboard and its labour is 12k.

Last month I did Ladakh trip and I was blown away with performace and comfort of diesel nexon. Only minor issue I faced that in altitude above 12000ft and in cold, engine required atleast 45 minutes of warm up in idle in cold starts and till this time no driving modes were available. May be this is safety measure by ECU but there was no CEL or anything,

Thread Starter #977

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
A very warm welcome to you Ankit, on this forum. I am happy that you found my Nexon thread interesting. Nice to know a fellow Nexon owner from Lucknow, which is the neighbour city to my hometown Kanpur.
Please do post some pictures of your Nexon as well as some from your travel exploits. Will be really interesting !

Last edited:
A very warm welcome to you Ankit, on this forum. I am happy that you found my Nexon thread interesting. Nice to know a fellow Nexon owner from Lucknow, which is the neighbour city to my hometown Kanpur.
Please do post some pictures of your Nexon as well as some from your travel exploits. Will be really interesting !
Thanks @mayankdixit, your passion for DIY is very very inspiring.
Glad to know that you are from kanpur, hope to see you and your nexon. Here are few pics, not able to insert morr pics due to larger size. Will trim and post later.
20220908_124928.jpg
20220910_151140.jpg
20220907_092510.jpg
20220908_123048_04.jpg
20220910_113446.jpg

20220908_124928.jpg
20220910_151140.jpg
20220907_092510.jpg
20220908_123048_04.jpg

20220908_124928.jpg

That pic from Umling-La is very good, worth a thousand words !!
What is that aerial like thing on your Nexon's left fender ??
Yes, climbing Umling La was such an experience that can not be explain in words. That aerial thing is just a jugaad to prevent fender rubbing from wall bulge at my home parking space. Its just an antenna.

That pic from Umling-La is very good, worth a thousand words !!
What is that aerial like thing on your Nexon's left fender ??
Yes, climbing Umling La was such an experience that can not be explain in words. That aerial thing is just a jugaad to prevent fender rubbing from wall bulge at my home parking space. Its just an antenna.

Thread Starter #982

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
@mayankdixit sir, Hows your long term experience with Castrol Magnatec stop start 5w30 engine oil in nexon? Is it suitable for long hours highway driving? As my warranty is over I will change engine oil myself from now onwards.
I have been using this only from day 1 even while car was having free services. At Tata ASS they were using this only. Even in our owners manual Castrol Magnatec stop start 5w30 is recommended.
But beware as lot of "nakli- maal " is in the market. Mechanics sell the empty cartons at 25/- per carton. If you get duplicate refilled pack, which is quite common in market, then all bets are off !!
Million dollar question: How to differentiate between original and duplicate Castrol Magnatec pack ??

Last edited:
I Even in our owners manual Castrol Magnatec stop start 5w30 is recommended.
?
Owners manual recommends Castrol Magnatec Professional T 5w30 API SN ACEA A5/B5. CASTROL magnatec stop start specification and viscocity is same but what is the difference between Professional and Stop Start?

Thread Starter #984

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Owners manual recommends Castrol Magnatec Professional T 5w30 API SN ACEA A5/B5
In Professional T , letter T is for TATA, that's all. This T is written on the drums supplied to Tata ASS. In open market you will never ever find Magnatec professional T.
Recommended grade for Nexon is SN.
Start stop grade is SN+ . This is for BS6 cars. So more advanced. No harm in using for BS4 Nexon. Previously Magnatec was SN , but now you will get mostly SN+, and this jar is costlier than earlier pack.

Newer packs are all Fully synthetic.

IMG-20221005-WA0003.jpg

BS6 ready
IMG-20221005-WA0002.jpg

Last edited:
In Professional T , letter T is for TATA, that's all. This T is written on the drums supplied to Tata ASS. In open market you will never ever find Magnatec professional T.
Recommended grade for Nexon is SN.
Start stop grade is SN+ . This is for BS6 cars. So more advanced. No harm in using for BS4 Nexon. Previously Magnatec was SN , but now you will get mostly SN+, and this jar is costlier than earlier pack.Newer packs are all Fully synthetic.BS6 ready
Very well explained! Thanks a lot. Clears all my doubts.

Thread Starter #987

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Living the Nexon life has been okay (good) so far.
Car completed 5 years in October.
And still going strong with,
Original battery.
Original clutch.
Original brake pads.
Original wipers (5 years!! )
Nothing much changed. No bulb fuse, no oil leak, nothing. Except few rubber parts changed here and there. And routine oil and filters.
Very good lower end torque. Very good city driveability.
This is what I wanted. This is what was needed, after my 1.3 l Swift petrol experience. That thing stalled in every traffic jam and in every u-turn, despite of my defensive driving.
Nexon is stark opposite in character. Needs a real dumb fool to stall it !!

Last edited:
How come it stalled always, while when I drive my 1.2 VVT, I never stalled it, while at the service center except my friend SA, whoever drives it stalls it ! Hence, the perfect reason my SA uses no one else to touch my ride.
Is it due to wrong clutch setting in your 1.3 ?

Thread Starter #989

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
How come it stalled always, while when I drive my 1.2 VVT, I never stalled it, while at the service center except my friend SA, whoever drives it stalls it ! Hence, the perfect reason my SA uses no one else to touch my ride.
Is it due to wrong clutch setting in your 1.3 ?
My Swift vxi was from the first generation. No vvt or vvti or any such thing in it. Its USP was free revving engine. All the power at top end. Nothing at the bottom end. Very good for highway and very bad and frustrating for city- bumper to bumper- traffic.
Like many of the owners then, I too was fooled into buying it because of marketing. Only later I realised that the plain and simple Alto performs better in city, and I should have gone for that.
Later models had vvt, vvti, dual vvt ( ie intake as well as exhaust side). This improved the lower end torque enough to feel comfortable in traffic.
My Ritz vvt had better lower end. So does your car.
Hope I clarified the doubt fully.
Meanwhile Nexon (and that too in diesel avtaar) is from another world altogether !! Very difficult to stall. Engine just pulls and pulls. This is what I wanted. This is what was my requirement. And this only gives me driving pleasure.
But this was not available then and I was stupid enough a decade back, to not grasp and appreciate the value of it. Glamour, marketing, gimmicks, tadak - bhadak, all those things impressed me more.
But I am not ashamed of it. Its all part of growing up ( in maturity). We all go through these phases. Its human.

Last edited:

Top Bottom