Tata Nano wins Indian Car of the Year

Thread Starter #1
Tata Nano Wins ICOTY

Tata’s little wonder has added yet another feather to its cap. The car has won the prestigious Indian car of the year award for the year running.

In its fifth year running, the awards modeled along the lines of the American, Japanese and European car of the year, the Indian Car Of The Year (ICOTY) award has been instituted by leading automotive publications in India in association with JK Tyes.

The awards are an expert and independent judgement of all the new cars and motorcycles launched during the calendar year in India. An 11 member jury consisting of automobile journalists from all the leading magazines in India get together to vote for the most impressive car and motorcycle on a number of set parameters which are similar to what are considered in the international awards.

Tata Nano won the Indian car of the year scoring a maximum of 63 points. The ten finalists considered for the award were the Chevrolet Cruze, Honda Jazz, Fiat Linea, Fiat Grande Punto, Maruti Suzuki Ritz, Mahindra Xylo, Skoda Superb, Tata Indigo Manza, and Toyota Fortuner.

The expert jury members of the 2010 ICOTY included Yogendra Pratap and Vikrant Singh of Auto Bild India, Gautam Sen and Bob Rupani of Auto India, Bijoy Kumar Y and Srinivas Krishnan of Business Standard Motoring, Aspi Bhathena of Car India, Sirish Chandran and Bertand D’souza of Overdrive and Vardhan Kondvikar and Girish Karkera of Top Gear India.

The Managing Director of Tata Motors, Mr. P.M. Telang, received the award from the Vice Chairman & Managing Director of JK Tyre Industries Ltd., Dr. R. P. Singhania, at a ceremony held in New Delhi.

Congratulation TATA. For all the tough times in WB - you guys did not give it up. Though i hate the car but HATS off to spirit of TATA.

Looks like the magazines which over-rated Nano is on strike again. But beside the imperfect product, i'd like to appreciate about this idea and being having the world's cheapest car.

Thread Starter #6
Nano was meant to provide a respectable and safe mode of transportation a very affordable cost, and i think its on the right track. Its deserves our appreciations.

i too think nano is worth appreciation. Even after withdrawal from Singur plant and making losses they stii introduced the peoples car at the price they promised 5 yrs ago. For this gesture hats off to Ratan Tata and his team.

350Z

Core Team
Different magazines have their own ICOTYs. This was from Overdrive. Now awards from Autocar India would be announced soon. Tata Nano is indeed a commendable effort from Tata Motors. While it has created a new segment in India in itself, but I believe, it hasn’t proved itself yet as an all-new product. I would vote Indigo Manza for ICOTY.

Drive Safe,
350Z

I agree to all your statements but Manza is a new launch too and IMO its hasnt proved itself yet.Though it has dented sales of almost all cars in its segment(except Dzire) but dont they take into account the overall quality and A.S.S into account?

Thread Starter #12
Its not just ICOTY, even zigwheels has given the same award to it. And add to it, the viewer's choice conducted by zigwheels, Nano has beaten other cars for the awards. We could have our own choice, but we must accept it has created the wave in the car industry, never before by an Indian. May be M800, when its launched, might have created a same hype and its own segment.

350Z

Core Team
Akash said:
I agree to all your statements but Manza is a new launch too and IMO its hasnt proved itself yet.Though it has dented sales of almost all cars in its segment(except Dzire) but dont they take into account the overall quality and A.S.S into account?
Let’s remember that Nano (i.e: lots of cost cutting, cheap spares and small rear engine) is a concept new to the world. It definitely needs sometime to prove in the harsh Indian conditions. On the other hand, Manza is a new model but the design and segment where it’s positioned is not at all new and this concept already tested by many manufacturers around.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14
I think we should not compare Manza with Nano.
Nano is cheapest one, but one car even people will not mind keeping along with luxury car.

350Z

Core Team
Nano is no way being compared with Manza here. All we're discussing about is the reliability base for Nano being chosen as an ICOTY.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom