Tata Nano OR Maruti Baleno OR Esteem? Booked Nano

Status
Not open for further replies.
@ drifter Yes i am not meaning to say Nano is a bad car! I would have happily recommended Nano if the thread starter was to use the car only inside city mostly. I somehow feel Nano is not the car for highway duties. And i feel a Santro or a Wagon-R is better in the highways compared to a Nano.
One of my close known friend has done Kannur-Mangalore-bangalore-kochin-trivandrum-Kannur. almost 1500km trip in nano with two passengers.

He quoted" it is far far comfortable and better than last years trip in Maruthi Wagon-R"
and he is going to buy a Nano very soon.
I would reiterate famous quote of our member Peter "Only people who have problems and issues with Tata Nano are those who have not driven it."[cheers]

Well i still stand by my word , i will never look at Nano as a highway car! The car has nothing in the name of safety features and i have seen how flimsy the build of Nano is. I don't recommend Nano only because of safety concerns , nothing else! The car cannot survive a crash!

Well i still stand by my word , i will never look at Nano as a highway car! The car has nothing in the name of safety features and i have seen how flimsy the build of Nano is. I don't recommend Nano only because of safety concerns , nothing else! The car cannot survive a crash!
In my view Maruthi Omni is most dangerous four wheeler on road.

Nano has many unique Safety features which I know but finding difficult to put forward.

It is much safer than many other higher priced cars in case of crash.

it has been seriously engineered with proper crumble zone and stability etc on road unlike many other sheet metal boxes.
Being very light it has many innovative (patented )advantages too.

Guess one car below 3 lakh which goes stable even in 100kmph.

I believe in case of serious impact well built Punto and said Nano would become debris almost equally but the requirement is chances of survival.
they are not built for military application though.

I can quite assure that Nano is much safer than old HM ambassador or premier Padmini.

In my view Maruthi Omni is most dangerous four wheeler on road.
Nano has many unique Safety features which I know but finding difficult to put forward.
It is much safer than many other higher priced cars in case of crash.

I can quite assure that Nano is much safer than old HM ambassador or premier Padmini.
No second thoughts about what you said. There are 3 safety features in Nano to be precise-
Brake booster, kind of vaccum generator which helps in easy flow of brake fluid to tyres. Efficient braking.
Intrusion beams in doors for more strength.
Body reinforcements at critical areas surrounding passengers.

Car did not have ABS and power steering (sounds funny but you do not actually feel the need for 600 kgs of car mass)

It would not be an exaggeration to call Nano much safer than M 800 simply because because it's not a tin container. It is perforated metal covered with fiber. What is does? Weight reduction so that 33 PS power of 624 CC engine can pull car and it's occupants. Ample space, only car which can carry more than its weight[:D]

One hindsight though is Nano catching fire- especially new cars? which I think can be attributed to 2 reaosns-

Engine at the back is not that well ventilated as the front side engines.
and new car with ungrooved parts creates more heat and friction.

But yes agree, car looks fragile and those skinny tyres give it a look of an auto rickshaw.

Nano crash test done in the UK. This car was driven 10,000km from India to England (except through Pakistan where it was shipped)

Tata Nano crash test by autocar.co.uk - YouTube

Stop this video when text appears at 10 seconds running:

TATA nano crash test video - YouTube

And read this article:

Tata Nano crash test on video - Autocar.co.uk

@jayadev: I thought I am the only fan of the Nano in the whole world other than Ratan Tata.

Virtually every average Indian is using the auto rickshaw without hesitation, which in my books is more of a suicidal action than driving much less safe cars than Nanos. I personally made at least 50 rides in them on my last visit and not only short trips.

Nano is really a good vehicle . you need to just own one to see it. My mechanic's brother owns one and uses extensively , but withing city extremes . give a FE of 20 to 23kmpl.

I have given a test report of the same here.

We have driven it in highways near 100 to 105kmph and man , it was stable.
really spacious etc.

Last kodaikanal trip , found one nano climbing hills like any other vehicle , with a chennai reg num.

Also i have seen many nano's doing pondy - chennai trips.

May be the acceleration be less than modern days cars , but still it holds good . Just upgrade the seat with some sponges and stitch a new cover over that. Perfect for long drive.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/test-drive-reviews/2924-tata-nano-quick-test-drive.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow i never knew the Nano is so rigid , kudos to TATA![cheers]

I have nothing against Nano infact i myself might buy one if i need a hatch for doing errands inside the city! But still somehow i am not able to convince myself that Nano is an highway car , maybe i am used to travelling in SUV'S in highways!

Let's not go further OT guys , please keep pouring in your suggestions.

Nano 2012 will be a better choice,it has considerable features, beige interiors,and power windows! For 300kms drive If you are four members in a family it will hold good,and if it goes 100 kmph,its a best one to own!
I came to know that the fire issues is the mistake of the car owners.Tata gives their own ICE especially made for Nano,but some owners opt for ICEs outside the showroom where the other dealers just make a nasty electrical s which results in short circuit and fire coming up.

Nano is better than Esteem and others if you want a car which actually suits your needs.

Old cars: -
1. Maruti Baleno
With 1.6 engine this car is real fun to drive. Recently 2 of friends bought these and convertd to cng. This car is very comfertable for long drives and for city drives also. After adding cng it gives 20km/kg. With Lpg it will give about 15kmpl. Cng is 38 Rs/Kg and lpg is 45 rs/kg. Cng and lpg kits are safe but take care and get it installed from authorised dealers. Also after installing cng/lpg you will 'not' loose boot space. This is good for long drives. But try to find a good baleno- it will take time but test the car throly and then select. Also in 1.5 lakhs you will get 2005 below model which is not good. Go for model which is 2006 onwards.It will cost you around 1.8L.

2. Maruti Esteem
This is also a good option , try to find a 2006 onwards model and add LPG kit. Mileage will be 15 km/kg for LPG. One of my friend is driving LPG esteem for years and he is happy with it.

3. Ikon flair
You will easily get Ikons in 1.5 L but these cars a very high on maintainse and also have issue with spares. Also lpg/cng kits for ikon are expensive and not compitable.

if any other maintenance wise cheap car is their. budget 1.5 lac. MAX.
WaganR or Santro or Zen mpfi

(if i'll buy one of these, then i'll install lpg kit) IS LPG KITS ARE SAFE
Yes it is safe. and very economical also. Only problem is when you will install it in hatch you will loose boot completly.

Thread Starter #25
thanx to all frnds for reply.

i went for a nano test [drive]. we were 5 inside nano. i drove with ac (it is winter, so that was just for test of pickup and engine [:D]). and it was fine. i feel it (624cc) was better than my maruti 800 (800cc) and that was with AC.
for nano diesel- it'll come with more cost than petrol like 50-60k. and i'll use petrol at least 2 years for 50-60k.:) so i think nano petrol is ok.

now about long drive??? i don't want cruse my car. i have M800, and when i visit my village (in Punjab) about 300kms. I usually drive my car just about 70-80km/hr. reason is safety for my family as we never know how other people drive (are they new driver, may be they drunk) so its easy to handle and to stop.
and other reason is life of vehicle/engine.
so can we use this car for long drive..?????[confused]

Thread Starter #26
@ mods
What is this thread doing in this section, doesn't it belong to Automotive shoppers segment?

@manpreet
Wait till auto expo and buy nano diesel, that would be the best choice for you!

i am new user for this kind of website, so i don't know much about all segments, where i have to place a thread, so :sorry: for that...

for nano diesel- it'll come with more cost than petrol like 50-60k. and i'll use petrol at least 2 years for 50-60k.:) so i think nano petrol is ok.

i went for a nano test [drive]. we were 5 inside nano. i drove with ac (it is winter, so that was just for test of pickup and engine [:D]). and it was fine. i feel it (624cc) was better than my maruti 800 (800cc) and that was with AC.

now about long drive??? i don't want cruse my car. i have M800, and when i visit my village (in Punjab) about 300kms. I usually drive my car just about 70-80km/hr. reason is safety for my family as we never know how other people drive (are they new driver, may be they drunk) so its easy to handle and to stop.
Definitely, if you are okay with the drive of Nano, then no issues. The car can be suitably used for highway use. The initial pickup of Nano is better than 800.

However, if you are okay with a used car, then i would still recommend an Esteem which will give you pleasure of drive.

i am new user for this kind of website, so i don't know much about all segments, where i have to place a thread, so for that...
Oh no buddy I had no intentions of hurting you, so no need for you to say sorry,we are al humans and do make mistakes, so chill.[:)]
Nano petrol is all right if you are going to use it 80% in city and 20% in highways,however why don't you wait till auto expo, its' hardy 15 days away,I think nano diesel with turbocharger may be even more powerful than the petrol so overtaking on highways will be even better.But if your running is less nothing like a petrol car, so buy nano P and enjoy[cheers].

If you cruise at 70-80kmph then go ahead with Nano,it will be comfortable than 800 i bet,why because Nano's rear seats are set a little high so the journey becomes less tiring.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom