Tata Nano – Can we Call it a Hatchback?

Re: Tata Nano – Is it a Hatchback?

When metro cities needed metro rails - it needs nano too.

nano is hatch for sure of course you cant open the boot. You have enough space inside to sit and enjoy! enough power to keep you entertained.

its a economical hatch to own , and a plus point in conjusted cities ,

nano does have a boot almost equal in size of maruthi 800. the thing is we cant open from outside. you have to unlock the rear seats to put your luggages inside

Nano by technical and business terms is an hatch only, There's no hard and fast rule that an hatchback should carry all the traits of the same kind.

It is a good idea from Tata to bring out this idea but where they went wrong was with some technical glitches.Now they have set it right which is good on their part.

Thread Starter #19

You did not title the thread properly, thus the mixed replies. (Now changed from “What is Tata Nano” To “Tata Nano – Can we Call it a Hatchback?”)
I got bit apprehensive and gave such a title but later realized I could not undo it..thanks for that.

Just because it does not have an opening tailgate for an obvious reason. Can it be disqualified as a hatchback? I don’t think so.
Nano by technical and business terms is an hatch only, There's no hard and fast rule that an hatchback should carry all the traits of the same kind.
By shape I can agree it looks like a Hatchback. but a hatch means an opening which nano doesnt have.

nano does have a boot almost equal in size of maruthi 800. the thing is we cant open from outside. you have to unlock the rear seats to put your luggages inside
I know that.
Nano have much much more space than m800. just fold the rear seats, alto and 800 owners cannot ever dream of such a utility in thier car.

It is a good idea from Tata to bring out this idea but where they went wrong was with some technical glitches.Now they have set it right which is good on their part.
Agreed about above reason and exaggerated media propaganda just to defame otherwise an innovative product from India.

Nano have much much more space than m800. just fold the rear seats, alto and 800 owners cannot ever dream of such a utility in thier car.
I seriously doubt that the Nano can take in a 40"LCD TV with box with the rear seats folded. The Alto can do that and more[:D]

I seriously doubt that the Nano can take in a 40"LCD TV with box with the rear seats folded. The Alto can do that and more
Nano will have more space than Alto if the rear seat is folded.

But the catch is rear seat cannot be folded.

Re: What is Tata Nano?

This itself is becoming a popular category of commuter vehicle. there are other brands also, which makes such small cars. We will see "Smart" coming to India soon.
You mention the Smart and the Nano in one sentence!?!

Want to compare the Nano with the Smart, putting it in the same class?

This is a real insult for the Nano.

The Smart is a lawnmower with a cab fitted to it. It is boring, slow, likes to fall over, hardly has a boot, just two seats and sounds terrible. The solenoid control is so slow that you have to activate it when the lights turn red not to hold up traffic when the lights turn green.

And you can buy a fleet of Nanos for the price of one three years old nightmare of a car.

I have driven both. I hate the Smart. The Nano any day of the week.

Thread Starter #24

Nano will have more space than Alto if the rear seat is folded.

But the catch is rear seat cannot be folded.
How can you be so sure ?

Overall Length 3099 mm
Overall Width 1495 mm (Without ORVMs)
Overall Height 1652 mm
Wheelbase 2230 mm
Ground clearance 180 mm
Minimum Turning Circle Radius 4 m
Seating Capacity 4 persons
Fuel Tank Capacity 15 Litres
Kerb Weight
Nano 600 kg
Nano CX 615 kg
Nano LX 635 kg
Boot Space With rear seat folded: 500 Litres
Without rear seat folded: 80 Litres Welcome to Nano :: Technical ::
Hope that was a news for you with an evidence. and I have personally seen it .

Attachments

Last edited:

Jayadev,

I thought you are talking about folding the seat fully. Like how it is done in hatchbacks like Vista, Punto and others.

Note: May be you can call nano a closeback[;)] (closedback)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #26

Jayadev,

I thought you are talking about folding the seat fully. Like how it is done in hatchbacks like Vista, Punto and others.

Note: May be you can call nano a closeback[;)] (closedback)
LOL, even I was surprised, Guys like you wouldn't remain ill informed.

Anyway ,
So my doubt is going to meet truth that nano kind car has no "segment term " so far.maybe tata might had invented it but hiding from public for some good reasons.

I am left wondering what should such a cutie could be called ?
a CUV -cute utility vehicle !

i have taken my 42" plasma tv in it
With the box it came in?[surprise] Would it be possible for you to upload a picture of the Nano with a tape measuring the maximum length available with the rear seat down and starting from the rear end on the inside to the front seat?(Please leave enough space for the driver to sit and drive.)

Last edited:

Whatever it is, it is a great car. No body else could do it, so their only option was to criticize it. It's not only an acheivement for Tata but also for India. We should be proud of the Nano.

Thread Starter #29

My friend in south kerala owns fortuner,honda civic,,swift and a Nano.

He says He likes nano the most for the incredible utility,rest all other cars are mere show off he use it for for his urban commute and to transport stuffs to market.like Rubber sheets,coconut,vegetables.the interesting point he mentioned is , he does not have to drive/hire goods carrier to carry his stuffs to market and doesnt need to sweat in traffic either. the maintenance cost is just equal to fueling cost of his other cars.it is the best thing for pick up his kids from school it is a head turner among kids. a blessing in traffic of his home town.

Tata has delivered it as a car and me too see it as a proper car .

it is sure not a hatchback..say Ingogo marina is also technically a hatchback but it is better known as station wagon. all the uvs have a hatch door at rear but they are not known as hatchbacks

Re: What is Tata Nano?

Ratan tata's dream has gone woefully in the wrong direction as Nano has failed to live upto its expectation. Even in SriLanka where it is selling in good number, it is being sold mostly as a cab or car hire vehicle. Ratan Tata is seemingly upset with Nano's marketing team as they have failed to project the car in a proper fashion. Right from the begining in their ads too they had tried to target the lower middle class person who travels with his wife & kid in 1 scooter. So in effect what happened was that the middle class totally ignored this product (however competent it may be) becasue they thoguht that this is for the next door neighboor who rides a scooter with his family. They stuck to buying altos....this is the sad story of tata nano
Very recently when I was driving in Th Sikkim and North Bengal Himalayas, I found that the Nano has actually replaced the two wheeler.

It was not being used as a commercial vehicle, but as aprivate one and the hills were full of this, manouvering some steep roads and some not so existing roads.

Top Bottom