Tata Motors Recalls 1.45 Lakh Nanos

I still stand by my comments.So many niggles and changes within first month, sigh..!!!![frustration]
And TATA took 2 years to sort out the starter motor issue?

So if Mahindra is sorting out a niggle within months, that is bad but TATA is taking years to sort it, that is good... weird logic, I tell you!

Tata are not doing similar thing buddy,they are bringing these changes after extensive research after almost 2 years of Nano launch.It is different from changing things from the very first month itself,Mahindra could have delayed launch for one MORE month rather than fixing everything even after a fortnight of their best car's launch,IMO.
Can you please elaborate on this!

Apart from few fire issues Nano has remained mostly a niggle free car, and now since Tata have better technology, they are implementing it to their car.
So you mean an error in the infotainment system of the XUV is a bigger issue than the Nano catching fire... GREAT!

Most importantly they are upgrading their exsiting customers free of cost, what more one can ask for?
Interesting, when Mahindra was doing it for free, you term it as a "niggle"/"fault", even though that was free. but here, since it is TATA, you term it as an "upgrade"...

And yes going by their recent launches, i.e., Vista,Manza,Aria,Nano, initial Tata customers are a satisfied lot and not guinea pigs, of course exceptions can take place.
I can show you various cases in all the above products where customers have been treated as guinea pigs.

Infact, I dont need to show you, you yourself have seen them.

Tata R&D are improving all their exsiting products, they are really doing a good job.[thumbsup]
When Mahindra does it, their R&D is bad.
When TATA does the same, their R&D is improving...

Thank you for showing your bias across the forum so clearly. Case closed.

Thread Starter #17
^^
Look buddy you are missing the point, there is a difference btw changing something during first facelift and changing something few days after launch.But I don't want to go OT now, before Vibbs delets these posts, so one mild request to you please stop this brand war and better stick to the topic.

@raj & @xovy-

Please don't bring Tata Vs MM issue here. But raj, understand the fact that Nano is the worlds cheapest car, done by reverse engineering & meant for 2 wheeler riders who want affordable car for 4. Tata guys had to think about saving cost & they have really done good job with many issues. Remember, some critics were saying nano will be rickshaw with plastic doors ??

Probs should not have arrived but seeing the R & D which went in Nano and despite several issues, Tatas are doing all this for free, that too for Nano customers, where margins is thin.

On other hand, XUV 500 is premium UV worth about 8-9 times the price of Nano with handsome profit margins for M & M. In such case, if there are glitches with TPMS, cruise control etc. then it is something wrong.

Look, if Etios has prob & Toyota recalls, we say hmm OK but if same Toyota recalls Lexus, we say, heck....how can Toyota do this as Lexus is premium brand & meant to be defect free.

Hope you got my point.

^^^ I have no problems with the Nano per se. Infact, the only reason I respect TATA is for having the guts to make the cheapest car. I like the Nano a lot. However, here the topic of discussion is totally different.

^^^ I have no problems with the Nano per se. Infact, the only reason I respect TATA is for having the guts to make the cheapest car. I like the Nano a lot. However, here the topic of discussion is totally different.
What you fail to understand is that in reality recalls are regular thing on all manufacturers. And the media capitalising on the Nano because this seems the only car in the world they are able to make an issue out of when something goes wrong.

Toyota had to call back over one crore cars in the past 3 years!!!

Second in the leader board is Mercedes, but nobody talks about that

Honda is doing quite well too.
My car stats in the US has got currently over 18,000 recalls on their list.

In the grand scheme of things Tata does not look bad. The ones who should look bad are the media for distorting the reality of things.

^^^ Once again, please note than I have not said recalling a car is a "bad" move. Please go through my posts to see on what context I am talking.

Given no bad consequences are to follow, no car maker would like to recall it's defective vehicles. But also given that no auto maker would like to take such a huge risk of allowing a vehicle with defective component(s) roam freely on the road , it is inevitable that a recall is in order whenever anything significant is detected that might be detrimental to passenger safety. No matter what fancy names do car makers give to such an act , the market is smart enough to recognize a recall. It's a matter of making an error, recognizing it and making up for it. There is no glory either in not recalling a vehicle or in admitting a recall. What matters in the end is that a customer's life/safety/security is not jeopardized because the auto maker whose car he/she is driving refused to acknowledge it's error.

Thread Starter #23
Given no bad consequences are to follow, no car maker would like to recall it's defective vehicles. But also given that no auto maker would like to take such a huge risk of allowing a vehicle with defective component(s) roam freely on the road , it is inevitable that a recall is in order whenever anything significant is detected that might be detrimental to passenger safety. No matter what fancy names do car makers give to such an act , the market is smart enough to recognize a recall. It's a matter of making an error, recognizing it and making up for it. There is no glory either in not recalling a vehicle or in admitting a recall. What matters in the end is that a customer's life/safety/security is not jeopardized because the auto maker whose car he/she is driving refused to acknowledge it's error.
+1, very well said.We must not criticize recalls but rather appreciate the fortitude of the company in order to initiate these recalls.

BTW ,nano 2012 is very well received by the market, it has sold 7000 units month after month.So Tatas' hard work seems to be paying its due when it comes to nano sales.These recalls haven't been seen as a bad thing by the market otherwise nano would not be recieved so well, infact market seems to respond with all the good efforts tata are doing with nano.The V2 version of tata cars always performs better than V1.

+1, very well said.We must not criticize recalls but rather appreciate the fortitude of the company in order to initiate these recalls.

BTW ,nano 2012 is very well received by the market, it has sold 7000 units month after month.So Tatas' hard work seems to be paying its due when it comes to nano sales.These recalls haven't been seen as a bad thing by the market otherwise nano would not be recieved so well, infact market seems to respond with all the good efforts tata are doing with nano.The V2 version of tata cars always performs better than V1.
V2 are better than V1. Doesn't this imply that V1s are basically test mules which are tested by buyers.

Yes my +1,at-least they called every customer,unlike the so called international manufacturers who deny it everytime.

Thread Starter #26
V2 are better than V1. Doesn't this imply that V1s are basically test mules which are tested by buyers.
Earlier yes, now no.Why? Just look at Storme Tata are testing it to death.Except few bad instances Aria,Manza,Vista,Nano, which means all recent tata launches are much more reliable than their predecessors.So tata are improving fastly and have improved a lot, no one can deny that.But they also haven't reached jap reliability by any strech of imagination yet.I will also not deny that!

Look at nano, only 8 out of around 2 lakh sold caught fire, which to be honest is not serious number, especially when Wagon Rs, Swifts, Ventos all are catching fire and owners are dying inside .How many nano owners have got killed, well NIL.But still Tata accepted that there was some problem even at any minor level and went ahead with rectifying it, i don't see any wrong in that.

^^^ are you kidding me? TATA's recent launched have been reliable?

Judging by the rate at which TATA is improving, it wont take long for all other Indian manufacturers to overtake TATA easily.

About Nanos catching fire... are you serious? 8 has been reported. There is a difference between one particular car catching fire repeatedly due to manufacturing defect & some other random car catching fire due to many reasons, maybe poor aftermarket installations.

I get the feeling that Tata is concentrating more on improving quality of direct contact parts like interior, etc..., while the improvement of mechanical parts is not that significant.

Thread Starter #29
^^^ are you kidding me? TATA's recent launched have been reliable?
No I am not kidding, recent Tata launches like Manza , Vista, Aria, nano etc have been more reliable than 1st gen Indicas,indigos ,safaris or sumo.
Judging by the rate at which TATA is improving, it wont take long for all other Indian manufacturers to overtake TATA easily.
Are you kidding Tata have now officially overtaken hyundai to become india's second largest car manufacturer.With new safari, nano diesel in pipeline they should even achieve more and increase their market share further.

About Nanos catching fire... are you serious? 8 has been reported. There is a difference between one particular car catching fire repeatedly due to manufacturing defect & some other random car catching fire due to many reasons, maybe poor aftermarket installations.
Yes i am serious, 8 out of 2 lakh is very rare.And tata are now changing starter motor, so good job by them, me thinks.

Top Bottom