Tata Motor’s Cars – The Ultimate Reliability Survey

How Much Satisfied You Are with Your Tata Car?

• Total voters
Re: Tata Motor’s Cars – The Ultimate Reliability Survey

Here's the note for decade old and still serving humble Tata Sumo :-

1) car model and variant Tata Sumo 2000
2) date of purchase 2000 June
3) Kms travelled - 2,50, 000 + (give and take 20k for times without speedo working)
4) build quality - Very Average but abuse friendly
5) coustomer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent) - Average
6) a.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent) - varies from average to worse.
7) warranty issues - Nil
8) if the car has been vfm - Absolutely Yes
9) issues and niggles faced so far - many rattles aquired over the course of 12 years but none devastating that would leave us stranded.
10) satisfaction levels (-/10) - 8

Tata Sumo is a basic and humble no frills vehicle meant to do farm duty for us and it has served us well for over 12 years now taking in to account immense abuse and no formal service many times, we top up essential fluids ourself and some DIY stuff.

The issues i have are:-
1) Tata have let their dealer network run amok and havent essentially done any quality checks/customer satisfaction stuff.
2) They seem to have a dead design department, apart from the Aria there is nothing really new in the last 7+ years , all their cars nearly look the same as they originally did. Even the all new Storme looks nearly the same as the existing Safari.

In the recent AGM Mr. Tata himself said they should be shameful of allowing M&M get the edge - i find this an extremely bold/controversial statement to be made in the AGM and Mr.Tata once again my respect for you has grown ten fold!Hope Karl makes the changes that are very much needed.

Also to add i dont think a Tata vehicle is any more or any less reliable than its competitors, the problems however get more aggravated due to the service experience, if your vehicle spends 1 day in a workshop for a problem vs a vehicle spending 4 days in the workshop for the same problem and delivered after broken commitments and delays, surely you would have a different perception about the vehicle/brand!

Last edited:
1) car model and variant : VISTA AURA ABS (QUADRAJET)
2) date of purchase :JANUARY 6TH 2011
3) Kms travelled :34500KM
4) build quality :GOOD
5) coustomer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent) : GOOD
6) a.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent) : GOOD
7) warranty issues : NO ISSUES
8) if the car has been vfm : DEFINITELY VALUE FOR MONEY
9) issues and niggles faced so far: FOG LAMPS GOING OFF MORE OFTEN,CENTRAL LOCKING OF ONE DOOR IS NOT LOCKING BUT LATER FIXED.
10) satisfaction levels (-/10) : 9

Vista is really good value for money car,iam very much satisfied with the cars performance and also its space.The only problem is with after sales service.Need to improve in ASS according to me.

1) car model and variant - Manza Aura ABS Qjet
2) date of purchase - Feb 2011
3) Kms travelled - 27200+
4) build quality - good - no rattles
5) customer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent) - bad
6) TASS experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent) - varies from average to worse.
7) warranty issues - replaced a lot of parts without any hassle
8) if the car has been vfm - Absolutely Yes
9) issues and niggles faced so far - steering wobble between speeds of 95 to 120 - maybe due to damaged/bend wheel rims
10) satisfaction levels (-/10) - for the Car 10/10

No breakdowns, and never regretted buying this car.

BTW, planning to change the service station for the next service

Last edited:

1) car model and variant - NANO LX
2) date of purchase - 28 March 2012
3) Kms travelled - 3500 only
4) build quality - DASH quality little disappointed, other that that, all is very good.
5) coustomer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent) - excellent
6) a.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent) - very good
7) warranty issues - no issue till now (replaced inst. cluster without any problem)
8) if the car has been vfm - 100%
9) issues and niggles faced so far - tyre was bursted on very second day, but that was from MRF , so cant blame it on TATA.
10) satisfaction levels (-/10) - 10/10

i would bet anyone who is having negative thoughts about nano, just drive / sit in it, your thoughts will be reversed within two seconds.

and TATA = 100% genuine Company with trust of over 100 crore people

I have a specific question for any India V2 owner !!

I think after I finish another 20000km on that, I used to get some problem like while car was in good speed it engine used to go off whenever I used to bring it to neutral !!
Do any body got encountered such problem and what exactly it is which was unusual to me and TATA people did not fix it !!
I have Indica V2 DLS since 2001. No such issues. I inquired with other V2 owners (new and old), none had come across such an issue. May be this problem is car specific.[surprise]

Tata car owners did you ever experience rattling in your cars ?
i had the problem. tata offers some special sound damping treatments. i followed varun's DIY using yoga mat and now this is kind of ok.

1) car model and variant - NANO LX
2) date of purchase - 28 March 2012
3) Kms travelled - 3500 only
4) build quality - DASH quality little disappointed, other that that, all is very good.
5) coustomer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent) - excellent
6) a.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent) - very good
7) warranty issues - no issue till now (replaced inst. cluster without any problem)
8) if the car has been vfm - 100%
9) issues and niggles faced so far - tyre was bursted on very second day, but that was from MRF , so cant blame it on TATA.
10) satisfaction levels (-/10) - 10/10

i would bet anyone who is having negative thoughts about nano, just drive / sit in it, your thoughts will be reversed within two seconds.

and TATA = 100% genuine Company with trust of over 100 crore people
tyre burst.. you didnt mention about this in your thread. BTW 2012 nano's got JK tyres right? long back i lost my front left tyre burst. now using this as spare wheel. it was my fault. hit a stone and got punctured in the side walls

Yes. Only in my Marina. rattling from back seat joint. Its easily rectifiable by replace it under warranty, but the dealer placed some insulation tape over the connector and gave it to me. [frustration] But the same dealer replaced my shocks under warranty at 49K kms without any issue. The issue was found by their service people, not by me [clap]. This rattling started at 20K kms, now it crossed 1,95,000 kms. [embarass]

The service peoples are very famous to create rattle for us at free of cost.

saishibu38380 said:
tyre burst.. you didnt mention about this in your thread. BTW 2012 nano's got JK tyres right? long back i lost my front left tyre burst. now using this as spare wheel. it was my fault. hit a stone and got punctured in the side walls
No, it comes with MRF tyres.
May be forgot to mention that in my thed. And yes mine was also front one, side wall burst when it has driven only 15 kms :(

Raja -- Sorry to say but your question is wrong [;)]. You should have asked if any TATA owner has ever experienced a rattle free car. Yes, Indicas, Safaris do rattle even if you care a lot. You have to live with it. Can't comment on on Nano, new gen Indica, Vista, Manza and Aria though, as I have driven them with few kilometers clocked on the odometer.

Raja -- Sorry to say but your question is wrong [;)]. You should have asked if any TATA owner has ever experienced a rattle free car. Yes, Indicas, Safaris do rattle even if you care a lot. You have to live with it. Can't comment on on Nano, new gen Indica, Vista, Manza and Aria though, as I have driven them with few kilometers clocked on the odometer.
Perfect. The question must be different as you said.

All new generation vehicles are built better. We have lot of proofs in this thread itself.

We must keep something in our mind that, tata has no hesitation to accept the faults pointed and fix it accordingly without any worries to clients. But have a look at other foreign manufacturer stories over the net. They came with a car to sell in india which needs special petrol to run, the petrol is not available in india. So the engine got damaged. Skoda just reject the claim. The owner asked me to take the car for 3 Lakhs, if i can take a fight with them. The original cost of the car is eight fold than he asked.

The intention of this story is, tata 'll accept all claims even rattling. But the dealers are not much helpful. Thats the problem. The service peoples just dont care about our rattling complaints and will respond as "Its common in tata cars man." But i used to fight with them to get rectified. i failed one time with them on my marina rattling. [lol]

Which car doesn't rattle with age? Rattle is something that will slowly creep in with age. All we have to do is identify it and rectify it. It will hide for sometime, then again it will appear. I think, if proper care is taken, its a cyclic process.
It depends on:
Build quality: Better build cars will rattle less.
Type of roads on which the vehicle is driven: Cars being driven frequently on bad roads will rattle more frequently. Tata and Mahindra cars are considered to be tough and people drive them rough too. Yes metal body is tough, but plastic parts cant be. so rattle more.
Driving style: Its an extension of above point. It depends a lot on the driving style.
Maintenance: If a small squeak is neglected, it will soon become a rattle. And will come back again and again.
Age: Nothing lasts for ever. With age, these things start appearing. And its not Tata specific.

I totally agree with justin. He claims that his A.S.S. experience has been good so far. Because he has been able to identify the faults and knows how to get the work done. Her, I would say, "Only crying babies get milk". Once you raise a concern, Tata will never hesitate to accept its fault and make good. Most of the time.. No questions asked. On 2 occasions, they put scratch on my car (not major. but sorely visible). Both of the times, I raised concern and they repainted the whole panel. Without showing any disgust. I dont think you'll find this with other companies. You're happy till you have a peculiar problem. And you had it. Just go to any consumer forum site. Every manufacturer has drawbacks. Question is who accepts. Tata accpets. Well. In most of the cases.

1) Car model and variant - Tata Vista Aura ABS quadrajet
2) date of purchase - August 2010
3) Kms travelled - 20000KM
4) build quality - Overall satisfied, except for panel gaps
5) customer service experience ( good ,bad,worst or excellent) - Good, sometimes exceeds expectations.
6) A.s.s experience ( good,bad,worst, or excellent) - Good
7) Warranty issues - Good, all of them are taken care.
8) If the car has been vfm - Of course
9) Issues and niggles faced so far - release bearing noise, power windows failure
10) Satisfaction levels (-/10) 8.5

Which car doesn't rattle with age?

Tata and Mahindra cars are considered to be tough and people drive them rough too.

Nothing lasts for ever. With age, these things start appearing. And its not Tata specific.
Good points. Well acceptable.

I totally agree with justin. He claims that his A.S.S. experience has been good so far. Because he has been able to identify the faults and knows how to get the work done. Her, I would say, "Only crying babies get milk". Once you raise a concern, Tata will never hesitate to accept its fault and make good. Most of the time.. No questions asked. On 2 occasions, they put scratch on my car (not major. but sorely visible). Both of the times, I raised concern and they repainted the whole panel. Without showing any disgust. I dont think you'll find this with other companies. You're happy till you have a peculiar problem. And you had it. Just go to any consumer forum site. Every manufacturer has drawbacks. Question is who accepts. Tata accpets. Well. In most of the cases.
I hope, we never loose our hard earned money as tata is listening all our queries all day. Even wear and tear parts also claimable, if it failed to withstand some basic level age. ITS A BIG TRUE.

Top Bottom