Tata Indica Vista: Technical Issues & Solutions

Re: Removing broken stud from tappet cover

Guys,
I own a Indica Vista Quadrajet ABS model. The engine cover mounting studs on the tappet cover is broken and is stuck up in the hole. The stud could be broken due to improper workmanship or could be fatigue failure due to engine vibrations. As a result the engine cover vibrates whenever the car passes on any undulations on the road, jerks in the engine etc.
I just wanted to know any possible methods to remove the broken stud bolt. Though there are lots of internet material available on the same.
I am trying to visit Auto shops with lathe turning expertise in and around Vashi area. One mechanic has turned up and is ready to remove for sum of Rs 500/-.
Secondly is it safe the remove the stud by welding or tapping method is the only choice available.
Usually they drill down the centre of whats left of the stud and then tap in a thread extractor for removal of stud. Any good engineering workshop person will do it for you.Different sizes of thread extractors are available.I think thats better than the welding and removal juggad as it needs to protect all fuel lines/ rubber tubing besides it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I got the broken stud bolt drilled down with removal of the broken metal parts and had specifically instructed the mechanic that no welding is to be done on the engine cover to remove the bolt.
Thankfully the mechanic was aware of the work to be carried out and opined that he is doing similar work day in and day out. Finally when the work was done, the mechanic added an new threaded sleeve for better gripping of the new stud bolt.
All this was done at a mechanical work shop for engine overhauls etc. without involving the TASC authorized workshop.

Have any of you had to repair the turbo? I have a vista tdi..the service center quoted 9k!
Turbo TDI cost is about 5K try to get it from a tata spare parts dealer and get it fixed from outside mechanic if your car is not under warranty. Please see link Buy Tata Indica TURBO, Indigo, Indigo, Vista tdI GP1029 Turbo Core CHRA 5435 970 0003 - Godpower @ Best Prices-Industrybuying
Turbo is not worth repairing unless minor problems like oil seal change or oil leak.

Last edited:
The problem is The mytvs guys are quoting 9000 + for repair!

Thanks the website mentions both Godpower and Tel brands..obe is 5k and the other 12k
Should i go for the godpower turbo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks the website mentions both Godpower and Tel brands..obe is 5k and the other 12k
Should i go for the godpower turbo?
Better get spare from tata spare parts dealer and do outside because from the online site if you buy do not know about their return policy if its defective.Just send that as a reference. Most cities have Tata spares parts alone dealers search for it.

Last edited:
Have another issue. Car back from service and the AC is very weak. [anger]
Anyone know a good repair guy. Don't really want to go back!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am having a peculiar issue with the engine sound When the AC is on, I hear vibration noise emanating from the engine bottom side. This vibration just comes initially when the car is taking pick up in the 1st gear and later goes off when the RPM is increased more than 1000 RPM. Initial suspect was the sump guard also known as the engine guard but confirmed that it is not the case. My hunch is that compressor belt could be loose and needs to be tightened or replaced. Any ideas furthermore on this issue.

I am having a peculiar issue with the engine sound When the AC is on, I hear vibration noise emanating from the engine bottom side. This vibration just comes initially when the car is taking pick up in the 1st gear and later goes off when the RPM is increased more than 1000 RPM. Initial suspect was the sump guard also known as the engine guard but confirmed that it is not the case. My hunch is that compressor belt could be loose and needs to be tightened or replaced. Any ideas furthermore on this issue.
It is due to the Engine guard touches the sump.

It is common when the Engine guard got hit by some stone or object and got bend.

check at TASS or some Local garage, it will take some 5 mins to make it correct.

Thanks appU. I took the car to the TASS, located in Thane and the issue was diagnosed as a loose oil supply pipe to the TC(located near the front bumper at the bottom side). The issues as of now is still unresolved due to the shoddy workmanship at TASS though it looks like a minor issue to me[frustration].
Along with this diagnosis, I was shocked to note that there was power steering fluid leak from the rack and pinion assembly seals. It was explained by the advisor that this part cannot be repaired and the entire unit had to be replaced.
Will keep updated till the noise issue is resolved.

Got the issue rectified at Navi, Mumbai. The issue was diagnosed as vibrating idler pulley tensioner. Whenever the engine was loaded due to AC compressor start up or during the initial pick up, the tensioner used to vibrate creating the rumbling noise. The noise was severe in case when the AC compressor was turned on.
Got the tensioner replaced and now the engine is super smooth and noiseless.

Have any of you had to repair the turbo? I have a vista tdi..the service center quoted 9k!
I recently had my turbo repaired, and it cost me 7600. Mine is an indica turbo, which i believe uses the same engine and turbo as the TDI.

I got it from a TEL authorized service centre at maduravoyal, Chennai. They offered me a warranty as I opted for core replacement.
You can find a list of their dealers here
Turbo Energy Ltd (TEL) - Authorised Service Centres

They also offered to just service it (my issue was oil leak, so changing the seals would have taken care of it) but since i am not planning to sell the car in the near future, asked them to overhaul it

9k is reasonable, as Tata quoted me 18K for a new turbo, and most of the TEL dealers had only remanufactured parts (Factory overhauled) for 10.5k
When you are buying, insist on a warranty. else you could end up with a scrap pudupet turbo!

If you are getting it serviced, make sure you get it done by an OEMauthorized service centre of the turbo (in my case TEL)

Last edited:
My vista after overhauling the entire engine and changing out all sensors with new one won't start. The fuel pump does not come on when ignition is turned on and there is just a clicking sound in engine fuse box but starter does not crank

My vista after overhauling the entire engine and changing out all sensors with new one won't start. The fuel pump does not come on when ignition is turned on and there is just a clicking sound in engine fuse box but starter does not crank
HI, Only if the ECU is receiving the engine rpm signal, it will turn on the fuel pump and also the ignition system (I am assuming yours is a petrol model). Not sure what intuited you to change all sensors while overhauling the mechanicals. However, for now you can direct the fuel pump supply at the fuse / relay box and see if the engine starts up.
If not, just put back the old crank position sensor and check again. You may invest a few hundred Rupees on a bluetooth OBD device and observe error codes in your Android mobile. It might also point out if there are sensor failures. All the best

Top Bottom