Tata Indica Vista: Technical Issues & Solutions

I bought used vista d90 quadrajet last month. Car is having black smoke issue and mileage is around 14 on highway and 9-10 kmpl in city. What could be the cause of low mileage and black smoke. What should be done? I feel cleaning EGR valve and intercooler should help but want to know from experts.

The car has done 2.6 lakh km. After buying changed engine oil, oil filter and AC compressor bearing was changed. I noticed rpm increasing and decreasing itself when car is started.

Car is having black smoke issue and mileage is around 14 on highway and 9-10 kmpl in city. What could be the cause of low mileage and black smoke. What should be done? I feel cleaning EGR valve and intercooler should help but want to know from experts.
Clean the EGR valve, Intake Manifold, Intercooler properly.

Also if you have access to 'MAF cleaner' then use that and clean the MAF sensor too. Do NOT use regular sprays or cleaners as it will leave residue and destroy the MAF sensor.

Clean the EGR valve, Intake Manifold, Intercooler properly.

Also if you have access to 'MAF cleaner' then use that and clean the MAF sensor too. Do NOT use regular sprays or cleaners as it will leave residue and destroy the MAF sensor.
Went to a mechanic and asked him to clean EGR valve and intercooler. He said EGR doesn't need cleaning without even seeing. He said he would clean intercooler and that should do but I feel cleaning EGR and intake manifold is required as I don't know when was the last time it was cleaned.

Will change the mechanic and get it done soon.

Went to a mechanic and asked him to clean EGR valve and intercooler. He said EGR doesn't need cleaning without even seeing. He said he would clean intercooler and that should do but I feel cleaning EGR and intake manifold is required as I don't know when was the last time it was cleaned.
For a car that has run so much, cleaning the intake manifold, EGR and intercooler will help a lot in performing better. Definitely the internals would be clogged. No doubt about that. So better to clean them when you can from a competent mechanic.

Also have look at the MAF and Boost sensor.

Advice needed for our Vista : The car has been with my brother in law and is being abused. Following are the repairs that are Needed. Is it worth repairing or not I want to know.

1. Windshield has got cracks due to stone .
2. 4 tyres need replacement
3. Central locking is not working
4. Black smoke and low pickup. EGR valve, intercooler and MAF sensor need to be addressed.
5. AC compressor is dead. AC technician said whole AC unit has to be changed.
6. Suspension work is required. (4 adults, luggage + 50kg rice bag and additional stuff was filled in boot).

Does it make sense to spend money for new parts or should I look for 2nd hand parts with scrap dealers or should I let it go and sell it.?

Advice needed for our Vista : The car has been with my brother in law and is being abused. Following are the repairs that are Needed. Is it worth repairing or not I want to know. Does it make sense to spend money for new parts or should I look for 2nd hand parts with scrap dealers or should I let it go and sell it.?
It all depends on how long you want to hold on to the car. If you have plans for replacement in mind then I see no use on spending over the Indica.

Also getting second-hand parts comes with its own share of risks. It may or may not work as intended. As per the list of issues which you have described, the bill will be fat to get the car road worthy again.

It all depends on how long you want to hold on to the car. If you have plans for replacement in mind then I see no use on spending over the Indica.

Also getting second-hand parts comes with its own share of risks. It may or may not work as intended. As per the list of issues which you have described, the bill will be fat to get the car road worthy again.
I want to keep it for next 4 years. But the thing is we bought it for 1.35 lac and if repair cost is below 50k then I can repair it. But I think it will be more.

I want to keep it for next 4 years. But the thing is we bought it for 1.35 lac and if repair cost is below 50k then I can repair it. But I think it will be more.
Can't see these costs to be under 50,000.

1. Windshield - 4 to 5K
2. 4 tyres - Approx 20,000
3. Central locking is not working - Depending on what is to be changed here.
4. EGR valve, intercooler and MAF sensor - Around 5,000 for cleaning i.e., labour charges.
5. AC compressor is dead - AC Compressor new costs 17.5K. Imagine what the rest items will cost you if you are looking to refurbish the whole A/C system.
6. Suspension work is required - a) Front LH & Front RH Strut - 4,778 + 4,778; b) Lower arm set - 2,088 + 2,088; c) Rear shock absorber set - 2,004 + 2,004; d) Link rods - 545 + 545; e) Anti-roll bar bush - 230 + 230.

Top Bottom