Tata Indica Vista TDi Ownership Review

ilango[speed thirst];30840 said:
The car is back after the 2nd service - went according to the due date
they didnt change the engine oil

Both in 1st and 2nd service they just washed the car and gave it back

vista service interval is 10000 kms and they do the same for the tdi engines. The tdi which we have have done only 3000 kms and after this tour it was 4500 kms

2 service have finished and they have still not replaced engine oil - are they trying to spread vista is cheaper to maintain at our cost.

Same tdi engine with same oil grade in marina had its service interval of 7000kms!
This sounds fishy. Does the manual suggest the same? I doubt it though.
I suggest that you force them to change the oil. You are the one paying for it and its your car's health in question, so they have no rights to complain. Just my view point.

Thread Starter #32
ilango you said that they washed and gave car back?? don't they tune it/adjust settings of new car after its first service for run in period?
Tune the car at tata , I hope there is nothing much to tune in a diesel car and tata serivce gets about 30 cars a day for service like this apart from vehicles with complaints.

and jammy , i have still not checked the manual for time interval , but i checked it long back for kms interval and it said change is required for 10000 kms.
Let it be , still is it in run in period.

after all enough run in have taken place![frustration]

Thread Starter #34
Isn't changing engine oil after a few 1000kms is best. I was taught like this when i was young!

Let it be new technology engineering , wear and tear is high at start.

There is no fixed interval of engine oil change. It depends on manufacturer's technology.

Apart from KM, the interval is equally important. I don't think the service guys work based on manual.

Thread Starter #36
Once it touches the 5000kms mark , i am gonna change the oil/oil filter for myself.

Service people are not worried about the time , they simply want to boost their image

Yes RSM it is 10k KMS or 6 months whichever comes earlier. The car had to be serviced within this interval to maintain the warranty.

But Ilango you can check the color and the quantity of the oil and decide yourself! If its still good keep running with the same oil!

Knowing the Tata issues yet, the Vista with the TDi heart is a great car to own. I have a query as in-
What is the difference between an Indigo TDi and Vista TDi? I believe the later has a different gear box.
I happened to drive a smoky Vista TDi yesterday. It has clocked more kilometers than my Indigo. (I am at 151k and it was 163k). I could feel the 2k RPM turbo kick in that Vista in every gear, the engine was free revving up to 3500 RPM, although it was smoking.
How is your car doing?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #40
Well , this car of my aunt's has run low milage . It stand near 42000 in all these years.
Tyres were changed approx 1.5 years back.
Around the same time the car was completely painted. It had rust all over. I guess it to be material mistake or high salt content water used / available at home. The rust were just every where. Any part you guess it was highly rusted and holes were created. The engine it self was removed to clear the rust.

Exactly 1 year after tinkering and painting , rust has developed in complete bottom and again in few old areas.

the vehicle is in second set of battery now.
The korean DVD player still sings! only the display is blacked out. Its in same seat cover never removed or never given for any spl interior cleaning.
This was the first NEW tata car in the family.

Planning to sell this as its again lot of rust. Also aunt has shifted to NEW home with proper water connection suitable to wash car ! Haha [lol]

The next car Budget is 5 to 6 Lakh , petrol is ok considering the low running these many years. However I suggest to be diesel again as cousin is 17 Yrs now and he may start driving in next 2 years and the running may increase.

Tigor/ Kuv100 / Datsun Go+ is considered. Nothing finalized.
Tata Exchange offer was 1.2Lakh for this vista TDI.

Ilango, did you get the rust and body repaired at tata showroom? I have a tdi vista too-so far blessed-no rust at 80+K; but just wanted to check

Thread Starter #42
The rust was all over the vehicle. The car was never touched up for paint inbetween. It was a complete repaint at local garage.
The main cause of the rust is the water in that area. and the car was not kept clean. Leaves used to accumulate and only before the drive it was dusted and used.

well my Vista tdi mates, i need your advice. Just changes all 4 glow plugs 1 year ago and the car seemed to be doing well (was going off every now and then esp after a long trip)
Now ive got black smoke and the same problem-the engine will not restart easily after a long trip and plenty of black smoke; the mytvs guys suggest the fluel injector needs change-12-13k!
What is your considered opinion?
regards and thanks

Thread Starter #44
well my Vista tdi mates, i need your advice. Just changes all 4 glow plugs 1 year ago and the car seemed to be doing well (was going off every now and then esp after a long trip)
Now ive got black smoke and the same problem-the engine will not restart easily after a long trip and plenty of black smoke; the mytvs guys suggest the fluel injector needs change-12-13k!
What is your considered opinion?
regards and thanks
The black smoke has some numerous reasons. TDI injectors can be serviced. Even the crdi models can be serviced. TDI injectors are damn cheaper to service. 12 to 13 k is rip off if yours is TDI model ( mechanical rotary pump model)

Clogged exhaust route and cat con can throw a black smoke on quick hard acceleration.
On a hard acceleration , many crdi/dicor ( same tech) cars throw smoke in lower gears.
Improper fuel delivery also tend to give a black smoke.
A rupture in turbo hoses also cause smoke with or without audible sound
Check with another mechanic before concluding

Having said that , 2 weeks ago our TDI vista was bid fare well and come the tigor xz petrol model.

Compared to my storme the audio is fantastic even though its same companies ( harmon)
Ownership review will start after owning for couple of months and couple of thousand kms.

Attachments

Top Bottom