Tata Hexa Review & Pictures: Herculean Hexa

Thread Starter #62
Stereotypes are hard to break!
Every time Tata launches a car, I am one of the people who stand in the front quarter of the queue who question, doubt and deny their product. Not once or twice, multiple times. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate them or their products, it's just that the trust is too weak when it comes to the 'T' that is not from Japan. I have owned only 2 Tata cars in past, one lost in an accident and another was filled with niggles. The first one was actually a very reliable one while the second one was simply not up to the mark.

Stereotype: No matter what, if it is a Tata, it is a cheap car and it is cheap because it is made out of cheap components and low quality parts. It may fell off, break down or may even prove to be unsafe too. Thankfully, Tata motors have made sure in past that this stereotype keeps on getting stronger with time.

I have driven other cars quite a bit, have owned an XUV in past and Innova has always been our family favorite. where is the place for Safari or Aria or Hexa? Well, they were never in the list! That said, I have pushed 2 people in my circles to get Hexa and 7 people to upgrade to Endy or Fortuner or Crysta A/T from their choice of Hexa, as they had the budget.

I went for test drives:

XUV 5OO:
Test driven in Gurgaon, AT vehicle. Going by my past experience and the way the new vehicle has been improvised at points, XUV is indeed very close to being a near perfect urban SUV. It looks cool, has a long list of features, powered driver seat and sunroof are show stealing features (Tata motors, I tell you; give them in Hexa and see the demand, these features fascinate the people who upgrade from smaller cars).

Front seats are snug and supportive, decently placed armrest, well designed and savvy looking instrument cluster, roominess felt due to dual tone interior and because of the light entering via the sunroof. The engine that is very urgent and the performance that can even shock the new drivers, everything feels like a perfect recipe for an average Indian customer - well, it is. The gearbox is also a decent one, very less to complain about.

Then I get into rear seat, it is placed way higher than the front ones (This is an issue for me and since I am at least 50% chauffy driven, this is a make or break for me) the seat itself is placed at right height in terms of legroom, thigh support etc, but I, personally, just can't feel comfortable being seated that way. Additionally the bench seat is nowhere close to the captain seats offered by Crysta or Hexa. Third row I won't discuss about as it is any ways going to remain folded for 99% of the ownership interval. Ride quality feels quite okay while in the front seats but since you are seated a bit higher in the middle row, you are bound to feel a bit more body movements (Believe me, I have designed Baja buggy chassis and even an inch matters). Third row I know from my previous experience - is any ways bad. Boot space better not talked about.

Innova Crysta A/T
Toyota dealership experience was definitely better than that at Mahindra and so was the driving experience. Cars driven were Innova Crysta 2.7 petrol AT and 2.8 diesel AT. Since I have more than enough experience with Crysta 2.4 and 2.8, my prime focus was 2.7.

Interior is very nice, probably the best driver's seat to be in, everything looks and works in a premium manner and NVH is definitely decent. only thing missing was a sunroof, else Crysta simply ticks every single box you can think of when it comes to buying a people mover. Both 2.7 and 2.8L engines are potent enough that XUV or Hexa can't simply hold their candle in front of these beasts when they are angry.

What went wrong then? Well, comfort and price. Don't be shocked when I use the term comfort. It is more like and analytical issue where you need to get every constraint in right ratio to get the maximum out of the available constraints. Seats are very comfortable, but ride quality isn't much absorbent, now you have comfortable seats to have to seated there but every shock or bump which is higher than say 3 inches is going to make you feel its presence on the road (Same applies to XUV). There goes the comfortable seat for a toss, it has perfect thigh support, perfect cushioning and perfect everything - but the suspension makes sure that shocks do get transferred to you. Don't get me wrong, the Crysta is maybe thrice as comfortable as an XUV (Especially middle row) but an immaculate ride quality with a comfortable set of seats is what makes for an actually comfortable vehicle.

Price: 2.7 Petrol ZX A/T costs around 22.6 on road Gurgaon and 2.8 ZX costs around 26 on road Gurgaon.

Mathematics
That means I am paying (Hexa has insurance free):
  • 3.3 lac over Hexa XTA for 2.7 petrol
  • 6.7 lac over Hexa XTA for 2.8 diesel

Don't bring the GX Crysta into equation, it looks and feels worse enough to be compared to Scorpio from inside.

In terms of emi. this means a flat difference of 8-15k in terms of emi itself for 5 years.

A fraction of fuel, full maintenance and at least 3/4th insurance will be all compensated by this EMI difference itself.

Then we thought of resale, after 1 lac kms of ownership, I won't think about the Crysta petrol resale as it is any ways going to be abysmal. Comes the point of the resale of Crysta diesel.

Let's take resale for Hexa as 33% and Crysta 2.8D as 50% after 1 lac kms on odo (BTW after say 8 years, both will have poor resale as their life will be only 10 years).

• 33% for Hexa = 6.33 lac
  • 50% for Crysta 2.8D = 13 lac

Net difference = 6.67 lac

Difference between initial purchase price = 6.7 lac

Let me go to exact emi terms taking 9.75% as interest rate for a down payment of 10.3 lac and 5 years term:

Hexa XTA:
  • EMI = INR 21,124
  • Total payment to bank = INR 12,67,455
  • Total money paid towards the car = INR 22,97,455

Innova Crysta 2.8 Z:
  • EMI = INR 33,165
  • Total payment to bank = INR 19,89,904
  • Total money paid towards the car = INR 30,19,904

These calculations themselves do nullify the resale advantage of the Crysta 2.8 as compared to the Hexa, especially when I haven't taken into investment opportunities which can help double those 6 lac in the same term.

Now let me come to Hexa:
Other than the fully dark interior and slightly tighter middle row as compared to the Crysta and XUV, I do get a lot more in form of:
Class leading ride quality - best in class comfort
Much much usable third row (same applies to Crysta too though)
Best in class ICE
Brilliant NVH

What I lose?
  • No keyless entry and push button start: If I am capable to drive, probably my fingers will be good enough for pressing a button on remote and slotting the key in keyhole.
  • Smaller touch screen - bigger the better
  • No satnav - It is indeed needed
  • Electric front seat adjust - Charge 50k more and get me one

Overall: More test drives needed, its still not me buying the car, for someone else and we guys are torn between Hexa and Crysta 2.8

Update:
XTA billed, covered and parked safely in a corner.

Delivery date: Thursday, 21st December (The pandit ji factor here)
Congratulations, Good to hear that [:)] Do share the color of the best

At last Hexa won and the "T" from India this time[glasses]

Now I can congratulate Hexa development team that they developed a machine which is grabbing great customers and making noises for good despite the low brand image.
The best part is that its the most expensive vehicle from Tata stable[:D]

Last edited:
Update:
XTA billed, covered and parked safely in a corner.

Delivery date: Thursday, 21st December (The pandit ji factor here)
Congratulations!! [clap]

Now we will have ownership review for HEXA.

P.S.- Most of the time people suggest to not to buy vehicle in end of the year specially in Dec and here you are actually buying it in Dec. So those suggestion are wrong or right? Please explain as people actually need to know this. Congrats again.

Thread Starter #68
Mubarak Ho! Parking charge liya Dealer ne?
No comments sir, some details are better not shared [;)]

Congratulations, Good to hear that Do share the color of the best
Pearl white it is, once again a long story. It's just that at times the luck do favor in such a manner that you get exactly what you want at right time. Initially we finalized six seater but daddy, after having tried both, voted for seven seater version. In fact, since I am also at times chauffeur driven; I also found the seven seater one better if you are alone in the rear bench, you can work, keep docs, keep laptop, sleep etc more comfortably on the bench. So, it is pearl white XTA in seven seater trim for us, the car is question is manufactured a couple of months back and was probably waiting for us only to one day come and pick her up.

At last Hexa won and the "T" from India this time
The Indian 'T' is probably something I never thought I will ever buy in my life again, but some things do change gradually. For the price and the item on offer, Hexa is just too irresistible, for any regular tom, dick or harry, XUV and Crysta will make more sense, but if there is anyone who likes tod rive and researches well before the purchase, Hexa makes for a very compelling case. Number of such people is way lesser than the regular crowd, and that is well reflected in the sales too.

Rest, I don't want Hexa to sell in huge numbers, I won't feel good if everyone who can afford a 14-20 lac car is seen driving around in the same car as mine. [:)]

Now I can congratulate Hexa development team that they developed a machine which is grabbing great customers and making noises for good despite the low brand image.
Well, it's a sudden purchase any ways, there was no such plan. It's just that Polo TDi went suddenly out and there was a vacant place, Hexa quickly rushed in to fill it.

Congratulations on the Hexa XTA. I missed info on what colour you have bought. Can't imagine how you would wait out the 3 weeks.
Sirji, being honest, can you control pandit ji factor? Color chosen is mentioned above!! :biggrin:

Most of the time people suggest to not to buy vehicle in end of the year specially in Dec and here you are actually buying it in Dec. So those suggestion are wrong or right? Please explain as people actually need to know this. Congrats again.
Buying in next year means:
1) Buy in february
2) Chances of higher price
3) Lower or no discounts on new year models

So, I don't bother because as much i will lose in resale, that is compensated well by decent maintenance and discounts on offer! To, me it makes no sense until there is an entirely new model or facelift.

Someone in my circle recently bought a XUV 5OO W10 AT. I doubt whether he even considered Hexa before the decision. TML should attract people to experience this gem.

Someone in my circle recently bought a XUV 5OO W10 AT. I doubt whether he even considered Hexa before the decision. TML should attract people to experience this gem.
That someone will be Hardcore fan of Mahindra like me [;)]. I will go for XUV5OO W10 AT instead of HEXA XTA as I would love to complete my childhood dream of buying Mahindra.

He was driving the last gen Nissan X-Trail which he bought as second hand. The informative lot will pick the Hexa at least in the automatic avatar and those were very less at 750 odd last month. Wakeup TML, you got a product, you gotta protect it.[sleep]

In November sales , Hexa reaches a new low.

Toyota Crysta - 6673
Mahindra XUV - 1229
TATA Hexa -764

Toyota Fortuner - 2271 ( for ref.)

Source - Auto Punditz

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Toyota Crysta - 6673
Mahindra XUV - 1229
TATA Hexa -764

Source - Auto Punditz
In what ways does Hexa's sales show a new low? Since the launch, we have seen it doing similar numbers. The production was always controlled for Hexa and based on that it did well enough. A fall of 300 unit isn't a cause of concern for a car that sells 1000-1200 units more often. Real cause of concern is when a cars like Honda City & XUV 5OO fall in sales units by a 1000+ plus units on monthly basis.

Untitled.png

Source - Auto Punditz

Regards

Akash

Toyota Crysta - 6673
Mahindra XUV - 1229
TATA Hexa -764

Toyota Fortuner - 2271 ( for ref.)

Source - Auto Punditz
Its never gone above 2000 mark in the whole year, correct me if I am wrong. I don't know how TML sitting quietly after seeing this kind of sales numbers for their Best vehicle till date.[surprise]

Crysta is doing great as always but XUV5OO reaching new low here, a matter of worry for Mahindra.

In what ways does Hexa's sales show a new low? Since the launch, we have seen it doing similar numbers. The production was always controlled for Hexa and based on that it did well enough. A fall of 300 unit isn't a cause of concern for a car that sells 1000-1200 units more often. Real cause of concern is when a cars like Honda City & XUV 5OO fall in sales units by a 1000+ plus units on monthly basis.

Source - Auto Punditz

Regards

Akash
Hexa never went above 2000 units sales numbers till date so I guess approximately 800-1500 is average sales figures of HEXA TML is achieving by far. For a record, we can have a look at good side of this sales figures. TML is keeping sales figures less than 2000 which is helping them to give good quality control for HEXA. There are almost none quality issues reported for HEXA after the launch unlike Mahindra products. Mahindra always gets good sales numbers after launch but they send unchecked, poorly manufactured vehicles to customers which results in customer dissatisfaction which I feel worst case. [frustration]

Still would love to see at least 1500 & more sales numbers every month for HEXA.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Its never gone above 2000 mark in the whole year, correct me if I am wrong. I don't know how TML sitting quietly after seeing this kind of sales numbers for their Best vehicle till date.
Hexa was a experiment after the average response of Tata Aria. Tata did their best efforts in Hexa to make it a VFM product. They weren't looking at too many sales numbers per month rather they made sure of quality of every unit.

Hexa never went above 2000 units sales numbers till date so I guess approximately 800-1500 is average sales figures of HEXA TML is achieving by far. For a record, we can have a look at good side of this sales figures. TML is keeping sales figures less than 2000 which is helping them to give good quality control for HEXA. There are almost none quality issues reported for HEXA after the launch unlike Mahindra products.
Very true. Though no brand has 100% niggle free product but TML here is taking maybe extra care of Hexa as far as quality is concerned[:)]

Still would love to see at least 1500 & more sales numbers every month for HEXA.
I guess 200-300 less units don't create much fuss to brands if they ensure that there is proper quality control on the units that are produced/sold be it 700 or 1700 a month. Also, everyone has their own pace of doing stuff. Lets respect that!

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom