Tata Hexa Review & Pictures: Herculean Hexa

Thread Starter #16
Tata Hexa: Pictorial Review

Hexa meets its previous incarnation.

This front grille looks more mature than the smiley version on Aria.

Mean looking headlamps offer a neat throw of beam as well.

These taillamps look gorgeous when illuminated.

The wipers and nozzles could have been concealed.

Similar honeycomb pattern is used across the car. Neat.

The Aria’s signature panel gap is left unattended. We wish folks at Tata had worked on it.

The XXL sized air-intake at the lower end of bumper looks mean especially on white models.

Nicely placed DRLs add immensely to the presence.

If you’re mostly driving in traffic, then Hexa AT will let you befriend the manager of this place, thanks to single digit fuel economy.

Thread Starter #17

Here’s how to install the tools for usage. I repeat, get a 2.0 tonne rated hydraulic jack if you want safety and ease of working.

Tata claims to have got many components from overseas vendors, one such example.

Tightly packed engine bay, turbocharger is from Honeywell. Rugged suspension mechanical are the hardest working and most impressive on Hexa.

Rear wheels do offer a massive articulation.

Tyre pressure placard.

The tyre that didn't burst and the culprit nail. A size comparison with VW Polo keyfob.

Front under body protection with a lot of battle scars. No wonder this media car had been through a lot of tough situations in past 18000 kilometers.

Still no rattle and no signs of giving up.

Doors are big and well built, but they miss the thud we get on European cars. They are heavy because they are big, but they feel a bit hollow.

I can bet that even smaller doors of an Ecosport are heavier and have a better feel. XUV and Innova doors are worse though.

The integrated rear sunshades come handy.

Stiff to operate but feel as of high quality. We wish these door locks had no play at all.

These door sill guards have no illumination.

The IRVM view is poor like in any other people mover. Nevertheless, it’s still better than Innova and XUV500.

Rain sensor is weirdly mounted on the lower section of windscreen. It takes a lot of area too. No visibility issues caused by it though.

Thick A-Pillar hinders visibility a bit, but the quarter glass does help. Thanks to a near flat top of the dashboard.

Top end variants come with six airbags.

Thread Starter #18

Dashboard design is simple yet functional. Good quality material used. Ergonomics could have been better.

Steering wheel reminds that of Tiago.

The neatly mounted steering controls.

Stalks do feel well built, right hand side stalk has MID controls too.

Uncluttered and simplistic instruments do age really well, but the fonts could have been a bit bigger.

High odo reading means closest to real ownership testing.

This is how the MID changes its color as per driving mode in Hexa MT.

Fuel economy data for our AT test car. FE figures take a huge hit probably because of massive kerb weight.

While automatic gets a proper, well sized and well placed dead pedal, manual gets nothing. Also the foot-well is really narrow too.

Probably Tata had to push a lot of stuff inside the tunnel because of short bonnet.

Roof liner is of decent quality.

Sun-glass holder has velvet lining to keep your glasses safe.

Neat, open the sunvisor and light do illuminate for you to check vanity mirror. Sunvisors can be extended too.

Cabin lamps. The central dome lamp has rear AC controls too.

Ambient lighting is available in multiple colors. They aren't bright enough. At times, you just need to look for them if they are even illuminated or not.

When backlit in white, the controls look very appealing.

Thread Starter #19

Power window buttons look and feel a bit cheap to operate. Wish all four windows had one touch functionality.

Door armrest is broad but still nowhere close to what we get on Innova Crysta.

Bottle holders can easily hold 1L water bottle.

Rear doors can also easily accommodate a liter water bottle each.

Only place where you can put your smartphone or wallet. Tata engineers badly need to work on their storage space designing part.

Panel gaps still leave a lot to be desired, look at the shut-line of lower glovebox.

'HEXA' embossed on glovebox lid does add to the premium feel.

The only place where you can store your smartphone. The upper glovebox is illuminated and cooled, can hold 6 cans of coke easily.

Oddly shaped front armrest offers just acceptable amount of storage.

Most of the buttons / switches / knobs feel durable and of decent quality.

ACC buttons too work with a crisp action. You can press this 'P' button while on the drive and it will turn reversing camera ON.

ICE is a highlight of Hexa, with probably the best ICE you can get in any UV under at even twice the price. The touch screen not only entertains you, but also contains many functions packed into it like park assist, ambient light control, turn by turn offline navigation etc. When turned off, it displays the clock.

Surround speakers sound cool.

Functional and well finished AC vents, what was annoying is that the armrest mounted AC vents had disconnected direction sliders, poor quality control Tata.

Handbrake could have been placed at a different position for the sake of a better armrest. Nexon is now getting a handbrake placed on left and the right armrest. It isn't leather coated too.

Thread Starter #20

Very well shaped, sized and perfectly cushioned front seats are a very comfortable place to be in. I still rate Innova Crysta captain seats better though.

Even at my laid back driving position, I had to push my elbow a bit back to get even a bit of armrest to rest my arm on. Headroom is good though, even if the seat is set at maximum height.

There's a plenty of space in the middle row, two men of 6 feet each can easily be seated in first and middle row, still both having plenty of legroom available to them.

To make a clear entry to third row, you need to apply a lot of trickery. Simply an engineering failure at Tata's end. Anyways, what is wicked is the presence of the adjustable lumbar support for even middle row passengers.

Still you can't fully tumble the right hand side section ins even seat version. A good thing in my opinion, this makes sure that only left hand side door is opened and hence no chance for anyone accidentally stepping out or opening the door in front of moving traffic. Seat is well designed, placed at right height and offers just perfect cushioning.

Well shaped, sized and placed rear center armrest multiplies the comfort. Comes with storage space and 2 cup holders too.

Seven seater version gets this handle for seat tumbling.

Third row passengers can use this strap to tumble the middle row.

Third row, like always, is tight on headroom and legroom, but better than what we get to see in XUV. Thigh support is poor, due to low set seat.

12V socket given in boot too. A much usable and thoughtful touch.

Instructions for third row occupants.

Although the boot can handle just a couple of small and medium sized bags, if there are no third row occupants and you have a long trip ahead, folding the last row opens up a huge boot space.

Loose fasteners do make tool kit go loose at times. Safety triangle weirdly placed under third row.

Remove this plastic cover to access spare wheel.

Hexa looks magnificent with lights illuminated, especially the rear.

Puddle lamps are a very practical feature.

Tata Motors has high hopes with this name.

Drive Safe. Arrive Safe. :smile:

© TheAutomotiveIndia.com. Republishing the text or pictures anyway without prior consent of our authorities is strictly forbidden.​

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Re: Tata Hexa Review & Pictures: Hulky Hexa

FINALLY FINALLY[clap]

Let me have this pleasure to thank Vipul & Vibhor for making the review live. I had been eagerly waiting for it. This one sets an entirely new benchmark in Official Review(s) writing. Highly detailed one! Now, I can sleep in peace today.

Regards

Akash

Finally the much awaited review is out. Fantastic review, the attention to detail is simply amazing.

However, the review and pictures also made me realize that am I reading a repeat of my own Aria story? Tata's misinterpretation of the wise saying 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' to if it broke and reported even then don't fix it is simply amazing.

Ending on a positive note, Tata has a competent product in form of Hexa and I hope they back it up with all the support needed.

kkn13

Suspended
Good review !! But one small feedback- calling Crysta "Chinese design" is in poor taste especially given the difference in fit and finish between the two which gets narrowed out due to price difference
Hexa is a good product but Innova is a far more proven product and Toyota has earned that trust
Tata has to regain that trust and seems to be heading there

On reading this review i have a thought-despite having near perfect SUVs in Land-rover and all the assistance from them, how come they got the ergonomics of the third seat wrong.
This sounds trivial bit makes me worried that they have focused more on the bling aspect of Aria--Hexa rather than on the mechanical and ergonomic aspects
Also looking at the XUV-as another grounds up Indian SUV for comparison,M&M seem to have got more right even 4-5 yrs later-the sales at least sales say that story?
I hope i am wrong,but it looks like we will be at the 1-1.5K mark sales for a while to come-the recent price hike will pinch the Hex more than the XUV-it was just beginning to get some grip in the market [cry]

Thread Starter #29
I shared the concern of Mr. Manoj Rai in this post:
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...11-99-lakh-details-pg-68-a-99.html#post538324

UPDATE:

A quick complaint to Tata motors along with a couple of chained e-mails (Special thanks to T-BHP members @Damodar and @PK_Del; and a couple of enthusiastic owners), Tata motors looked very seriously into the issue. MR. Vikas Rana got what he deserved and apologized to the customer over phone call as well as physically.

How things turned out?

First of all Mr. Vikas apologized to the owner and offered to cover all the expenses he has beared and will bear in future too, to bring the car to his A.S.S.

The experts from Tata motors visited the dealership and took a thorough look at the car, they agreed that this particular car indeed has issues and the noise is by no ways normal (Point to note: many self claimed experts declared that normal). They recorded the data, which in turn was sent to the R&D facility and after around 1 month, the car went through an ECU update.

Now the issue is completely rectified with the noise being normal and Mr. Rai is simply enjoying the drive.

In the meanwhile:
Mr. Rai got contacted by one of the well known publication as they wanted an article on his car, here is a copy of final article (I won't call for the name of publication); this gives us a brief idea of how our auto publications work:
e2b95d28-434b-408a-827b-3e2b7c18dd2a.jpg

This is indeed unethical from ACI's side. ACI reviews are read/watched with much fan fare across the net.

Great to know the issue was resolved. TML is indeed changing.

Top Bottom