Tata Aria Review & Pictures

Re: Tata Aria Comprehensive Road Test Review

Raj buddy you are right about most things , i only differ your opinion about looks , vista or manza looka like or not i love the ARIA for its sheer classy and sophisticated looks, that amazing mean front ,coupled with the swooping third pillar has kept me drooling for one (gosh!!when will that day come when the Xover gets his Xover).
Also about drive , Aria is not like ford fiesta where it will move forward in lower gears instantly, but drive her over 2000 rpm and she's a rocket trust me.
Yes, I agree. Infact, I have already said that the Aria looks much more classier when compared to XUV. I love to see an Aria in white, as long as it's someone else's Aria.

See, I have not driven the XUV yet, but I have driven the Aria, safari, etc. The biggest problem with the Dicor is the low end torque which irritating. Its the same with the safari 2.2 when compared with the scorpio 2.2. ACI reviews say that the XUV can pull cleanly from 30 kmph all the way to 130 kmph in 3rd gear alone! thats the way gearing should be.

When I was driving my uncle's Aria, I stalled it!!! so poor is the low end torque. I am not bragging, but I have driven so many cars for so many years, not once I have stalled a car in the middle of a road! I asked my uncle's driver & even he had stalled it a couple of times. the trick is to rev it a bit before moving. then what is the difference between the 140 bhp Dicor & my 90 hp punto? its the same when you compare the punto to a swift diesel. the swift feels fast & nimble because low end torque is more & punto has the annoying turbo lag.

Third row was good enough for me (with middle row pushed forward) for a 2 hour long journey in ARIA, also note that all of us on board passengers kept our luggage in the boot and not on the top, it gives ARIA an uncanny advantage over its rivals, and by the way i am 5'8".
see, I was not at all comfortable in the XUV's 3rd row. If i sit there for more than an hour, I am sure to get cramps! Innova is way better.

BUT, in aria, when i sat in the last row, the sales guy could not fold the 2nd row seat back to its place because of my legs. TATA could really have moved the 2nd row behind, it has lots of real estate!

Yes of course XUV is crash worthy, but why mahindra have not shown the ratings like tata, who showed that aria scored 4 star ratings in E NCAP.
Even I am wondering that. But just because Mahindra has not revealed the rating, you cannot say XUV is an unsafe car.

(remember the dual mass flywheel?) [:D]

Dont Mind but from most of your posts it seems that, you have Hate TATA policy!
Your Uncle is having troubles with Vista but he doesn't want to disclose WHY?? he asks you the price of swift that means Vista is nowhere?
There are many instance that every model of each manufacturer has reported problems,
I am sorry, but i dint get what you meant here.

You must have seen the Infamous Punto photograph- quoting "If you want to live in hell, Buy Punto!" does that means Punto is bad product. IMHO absolutely not, I like it as I like Vista.Some one started a website named myetios.com and reported hundreds of problem, does that stopped the sales of Etios. I was Planning to buy Etios but it was not available in Diesel. Companies just not assemble cars and sell it, they spend thousands of man hours on engineering them. Typical Indian mentality is whatever made in India is of poor quality and anything with a foreign badge is always good!
of course, Punto is a bad product as far as concern from the company & A.S.S. is concerned.

I have repeatedly said in every thread that Etios is a bad product.

Problem with a particular car may arise due to poor driving skills, less or zero knowledge about automotive, negligence etc. Though there may be problems during manufacturing and some of them escape the quality check due to Human errors! It may happen with Toyota or Tata. But if it happens with Tata it is always much spoken! Since it is Indian brand!
Even Mahindra is an Indian brand. then why are issues so much lesser with them?

I respect TATA for what they are, but just because it is "Indian", I wont support their unreliable products.

Many cars, Etios, Liva, Spark have the meter console/MID in center of dashboard, but when it comes to Vista- Immediately Tata is a stupid designer!
Liva, Etios, Spark, Vista, Manza, etc. is bad in ergonomics.

Regarding TATA ASS- its a common statement of any Tom, dick and Harry that Tata ASS is very bad.
What exactly they do to be called as so Bad?
As far as I have experienced , I did not find any difference between Maruti and Tata service!
So you mean everybody is just targeting TATA for no reason? Cmon, even Mahindra's A.S.S. is superior to TATA, maruti is way better.

Regarding looks it is always Subjective, Some lady may get Chosen as Miss World but that does not mean that everyone in the world will like her!
Agreed.

I am sorry, but i dint get what you meant here.
whenever it come to Tata vehicles you always talk negative about Tata products, what others say, you talk on behalf of other Tata Owners, isn't it important to listen to what the actual owners say?
of course, Punto is a bad product as far as concern from the company & A.S.S. is concerned.
How the product becomes bad if the A.S.S is bad? Isn't the service and Product two different things?
I have repeatedly said in every thread that Etios is a bad product.
What is the reason Toyota is selling 3000 Etios and 3000 Liva a month?
Even Mahindra is an Indian brand. then why are issues so much lesser with them?
Do you own Mahindra product? Then how can you so confidently say that?
I respect TATA for what they are, but just because it is "Indian", I wont support their unreliable products.
What extaly do you mean by unreliable product? Does the Tata vehicles fall apart in the middle of road? Till today Tata is the no.1 in commercial vehicle such as Trucks, Buses, Mini trucks- aren't they reliable? ( I am just quoting this for Tata Reliability no need to compare Trucks , buses with cars) If Tata can Manufacture reliable Buses/ Trucks for almost generation now. Are they stupid to produce unreliable cras? Indica, Indigo are used by so many cab operators are they fools to put their money in unreliable products?
Liva, Etios, Spark, Vista, Manza, etc. is bad in ergonomics.
So according you which the perfect car?
So you mean everybody is just targeting TATA for no reason? Cmon, even Mahindra's A.S.S. is superior to TATA, maruti is way better.
Everybody! lets ask only Tata owners, they are the best people to comment on this. And again you are talking about Mahindra? what is your own experience about Mahindra? I wrote about Tata and Maruti because I have experinced both of them personally.

whenever it come to Tata vehicles you always talk negative about Tata products, what others say, you talk on behalf of other Tata Owners, isn't it important to listen to what the actual owners say?
I was an Indica vista owner.

How the product becomes bad if the A.S.S is bad? Isn't the service and Product two different things?
I had hard Clutch issue in my vista after 1000km, they said when it runs couple of KMs it will be alright. and Ac was not cooling enough.
I took it to them after 5000km they said they will sort it out in second service.

at second service they said it is quite normal. when i insisted they said it is fault of your driving etc etc blah blah..and the suspension sqeaks, rattling, AC cooling...they said AC is like this only in these batch of Vista..huh!!

Everybody! lets ask only Tata owners, they are the best people to comment on this. And again you are talking about Mahindra? what is your own experience about Mahindra? I wrote about Tata and Maruti because I have experinced both of them personally.
I could not find any other options to fix isues in Vista ,as we do not have another good Tata service centre in around 100km range.
so i sold it and Bought Punto.
Yes, fiat punto is an excellent car but again being shadowed by Tata Ass, but thanks to fiat most of the time it is not much problematic.
Definitly better than I20,swift,polo and micra..

Indica vista of mine was an excellent car but if it had got good support from Tass it would be still with me and i wold not have lost lot of money exchanging it for peace of mind.

I was an Indica vista owner.

I had hard Clutch issue in my vista after 1000km, they said when it runs couple of KMs it will be alright. and Ac was not cooling enough.
I took it to them after 5000km they said they will sort it out in second service.

at second service they said it is quite normal. when i insisted they said it is fault of your driving etc etc blah blah..and the suspension sqeaks, rattling, AC cooling...they said AC is like this only in these batch of Vista..huh!!

I could not find any other options to fix isues in Vista ,as we do not have another good Tata service centre in around 100km range.
so i sold it and Bought Punto.

Yes, fiat punto is an excellent car but again being shadowed by Tata Ass, but thanks to fiat most of the time it is not much problematic.
Definitly better than I20,swift,polo and micra..

Indica vista of mine was an excellent car but if it had got good support from Tass it would be still with me and i wold not have lost lot of money exchanging it for peace of mind.
by the way if tata cars were not reliable than how can they become india's no 3 auto manufacturer, any idea [confused]

by the way lets get back to tata aria shall we. [:)]

by the way if tata cars were not reliable than how can they become india's no 3 auto manufacturer, any idea [confused]

by the way lets get back to tata aria shall we. [:)]
Sorry Xover!
I agree the discussion went :offtopic:, but it was needed. One just can not blame Tata all the time.!Being proud owner of Tata its my responsibility to justify!

Hi Xover,

Appreciate your enthusiasm.

Don't worry, Be happy.

Aria is a quality vehicle with elegance and road presence and its safe. No one can deny this.

In Cars, people don't see TATA as a premium brand. So an on road price of almost 18 lacs will be tough to sell.

However its a interesting that Aria is selling 300 to 500 numbers every month that too with availbility limited to major cities only.

(Maruti, another car make who does not have a premium image failed with Kizahi completely)

And regarding your fight here, you cannot convince a hardcore Mahindra fan about your view points.

And Raj,

well, i will be honest. I have not seen much with the manza but yes, my uncle has a vista quadrajet (manza without boot?)
You think that Vista drivetech 4 is a Manza without boot and therefor all problems if any with Vista d4 will be there in Manza.

In another post you assume that Manza also has central console since Vista d4 is having that.

And that Vista is modified Indica V2 and V2 is old Indica in new name. So Manza is last decade's Indica. Wow!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Aria is a quality vehicle with elegance and road presence and its safe. No one can deny this.
No doubt. but if i had to spent 16 lakh on Aria I will think a million times and go for toyota.

Reason:- just have a visit to your nearest toyota showroom and tata showroom as side by side comparison.

Product may be good but what about peace of mind?

Skoda also makes good car but it could never come upto honda level in sales and competence....hope you know why.

I cannot forget when sales excecutive as well as the service head both together explained me"Indica vista is cheap car so you get that kind of quality only"

I think we havent gone OT yet. what we are talking about is not Indica vista or manza but Tata.
Tata have a long way to go when it comes to dealership and ASS towards customers.

Last edited:

First of all happy Durga puja and Dashhara to all.[:)]

YES you bring a good point forward, but it has been 11 months since launch of Aria and in the meanwhile tata somehow against all odds have sold more than 3000 units of a product which on some parts of country costs around 19 lacs on road, and there are absolutely no negative comments about its quality thus far anywhere.So perhaps Aria custumers have found all mighty' peace of mind' , of course you may still call it a fluke.[;)]

Re: Engine and Gearbox.

Generally, Tata SUVs have beast under their hood, and this time again with Aria it comes as a no surprise. The 2.2Liter Dicor Engine with variable turbine technology and twin overhead camshaft produces 140 BHP of raw power @ 4000 RPM and 320 Nm of torque @ 1700 - 2700 RPM. Crank the engine and you will be into a greater surprise, Gone are those days of vibration and jerky starts, Aria is way ahead of old generation diesel hearts and doesn't growls much like old generation Safari or Sumo. Once the engine is turned ON, You absolutely do not feel any vibrations inside the cabin and may rather doubt whether the engine is even ON or not.

Tata Aria can be maneuvered with ease, Move it on to bumper-to-bumper traffic or bury your pedals down in an open stretch, Engine is very Powerful, Smooth and quite sharp to understanding your inputs. The gear knob is light to hold and there is no vibration felt at any point of time. Slot in the 1st gear and just tap the accelerator, Now you are set to race. Aria red-line’s top speed of 40 kmph in 1st gear and pulls up close to 80 kmph in second gear, where as at third 3rd gear it clinches the 120+ kmph mark.

Advanced Dicor Engine is really mature to handle, Aria easily cruises at 20 kmph in 3rd gear. We tried pushing to the maximum extent on the city outskirts beyond more than 100KmPH, and yet there were no squeaks, rattles or body roll. Yes, this is perhaps the first Tata without body roll and we’re let impressed with its utter refinement.
This is what our official test driver of TAI had to say about engine,gearbox, ride and handling of ARIA.

Well, I am an ex-TATA owner. We had 2 safaris, one sumo Victa & one Indica V2. Except Victa, all others were sold due to recurring issues. What do you want me to think about TATA then?

Regarding new gen TATA products, my close knit family has a vista & Aria. Aria is not giving any issues as such, but Vista, as already mentioned, is a pain to own.

Of course. Bad A.S.S. mean poor ownership experience.

You know the difference between Mahindra & TATA IMO? Both have below par A.S.S. but Mahindra being more reliable, visits to service centre is only for usual services, which means lesser headache.

What is the reason Toyota is selling 3000 Etios and 3000 Liva a month?
As i said earlier, because of the "T" badge!

Do you own Mahindra product? Then how can you so confidently say that?
Please look at my earlier ownership reports. The Mahindra vehicles I have/had -

1) 2 Nos. Bolero Di - 2005 - approx 1.5 lacs driven
2) Scorpio non-CRDe first gen - 2003 - 2 lacs driven
3) Scorpio CRDe - 2005 - approx 2 lacs driven (sold)
4) Scorpio mHawk - 2008 - 50000 driven (sold)

What extaly do you mean by unreliable product? Does the Tata vehicles fall apart in the middle of road?
Yes. I have seen many indicas & indigos in the middle of the road with bonnets open. I guess they are not worshipping the engine in the middle of the road.

Yes, never seen a Manza though.

Till today Tata is the no.1 in commercial vehicle such as Trucks, Buses, Mini trucks- aren't they reliable? ( I am just quoting this for Tata Reliability no need to compare Trucks , buses with cars) If Tata can Manufacture reliable Buses/ Trucks for almost generation now.
I am a bus operator. Ask me!

TATA trucks/buses sell, NOT because they are reliable. They sell because they are cheap. We have bought 4 buses, all of them are Ashok Leylands, you can have a look at the ownership reports.

TATA is cheaper to buy & maintain because quality of parts is equally worse. But people like us who ply their buses on long routes never opt for TATA buses or trucks because even though profit is important, the bus should not stall in the middle of a forest at 2 pm with 50 passengers!

talk to some insiders (truckers or bus operators) & you will get similar reviews.

yes, you will find lots of TATA trucks in cities as it is said that initial acceleration of TATA is better than AL. Also, servicing or repairing within cities is easier, so they look for the cheapest alternative (AL parts costs a bomb!)

Are they stupid to produce unreliable cras? Indica, Indigo are used by so many cab operators are they fools to put their money in unreliable products?
Same logic. Which other diesel car/sedan can be purchased for dirt cheap? cab owners buy cars, use it for 3 years & sell them off, unlike private car buyers.

There is no perfect car!

And again you are talking about Mahindra? what is your own experience about Mahindra?
Experience of owning & driving 5 different mahindra for 8 years.

See buddy, I dont intend to hurt your sentiments as I just now noticed you own a Vista. But these are just my personal opinions & need NOT be true or right for everyone. just like you are sharing your experiences, I am sharing mine.

Sorry Xover!
I agree the discussion went , but it was needed. One just can not blame Tata all the time.!Being proud owner of Tata its my responsibility to justify!
Actually, you dont need to justify buddy. to each his own, isnt it?

Tomorrow, if you say Punto is crap. I MAY ask you why you feel so, but at the end of the day, its your wish about what you wanna feel!

And Raj,

You think that Vista drivetech 4 is a Manza without boot and therefor all problems if any with Vista d4 will be there in Manza.
Nopes. Thats why I am repeatedly saying that I have not experienced anything with Manza.

And that Vista is modified Indica V2 and V2 is old Indica in new name. So Manza is last decade's Indica. Wow!!!
[surprise]
Where & when did i say that? Please quote.

One thing is sure. Tata is improving and improvements has been exponential.
within an year they refreshed their products with improved quality.

Present day Indica vista is far better than what I owned in 2009-2010.

Top Bottom