Tata Aria Review & Pictures

Did a TD of the Aria & listing down only the postives here-

1) Pics dont do justice to this car. You have to see this car in flesh, it has got amazing presence, especially in white & from front.
2) The front seats are damn comfortable & very very spacious, even for a 6+ footer like me.
3) The engine is more refined than the safari. i feel its better than fortuner too, but i am not sure.
4) I test drove the PRESTIGE variant & i feel the base PLEASURE variant is the most VFM. it has got everything you need but the beige interiors does NOT come in leather & no automatic climate control. Else the Prestige variant is the best buy if you need a bit more oomph like alloys, black & plum leather interiors, auto wipers, etc.
5) The ride quality is better than the innova but not as good as the safari. cannot comment on handling as i dint try any high speed cornering.
6) the driving position is not very car like as in innova nor very upright SUV like too. its somewhere in between.
7) I liked the way the bonnet auto lifts, gives a premium feel!!!

Overall, i like this car. it brings a smile on your face & that itself speaks a lot for the car.

Yes Raj the car is damn heavy and no wonder the Captiva performed so well in mt TD reaching 100kmph in no time! I wonder how the Cruze will be now with the same engine and a lighter body!!![evil]

Am glad you too liked the car! Ride quality i felt is same like in Safari in my short TD in city. Can comment on it further only after a few months.

good review but dont compare with CRV! raj..being mahindra lover. mention some negatives of aria also. [;)]

The first negative i can guess from Raj is cheap plastics used all over the car at some places!

@ Umang Why not CRV?? If it can be compared to Captiva , Fortuner and Santa-Fe it can very well be compared to CRV too! It has almost all the features present in CRV(i think only sun-roof is left out in Aria) and offers even some features not present in CRV. And CRV is not an SUV too!

Your report gives more weight to Aria now.

What about negatives?
[:)]

Yes Raj the car is damn heavy and no wonder the Captiva performed so well in mt TD reaching 100kmph in no time! I wonder how the Cruze will be now with the same engine and a lighter body!!![evil]
yes, the captiva & fortuner has a better power-to-weight ratio.

good review but dont compare with CRV! raj..being mahindra lover. mention some negatives of aria also. [;)]
sure, since you asked for it!

The first negative i can guess from Raj is cheap plastics used all over the car at some places!
Nah, i am not too finicky about plastics unless & until its downright cheap!

The negatives of Aria:

1) The engine is not a great performer, i would expect something better than safari if i am paying more.
2) The centre display screen was very bad, in the sense, it felt very 1990ish.
3) I found the footwell to be cramped & the pedal placement to be awkward. I wear a size 11 show & forget a dead pedal, it dint even have space besides the clutch pedal to rest my left foot. only option is to ride the clutch or drag your feet behind everytime.
4) Access to the third row was very difficult. My friend who is 5'8" tall had a tough time getting in & out of that seat. also legroom was tight. me being 6'2", i dint even try!
5) Fitting of the wheel arches on the TD vehicle was bad, it had ugly panel gaps, not expected in a 16 lakh vehicle.
6) i saw the base 'pleasure' variant with beige fabric seats. it had wood inserts which looked very very fake & cheap, totally like an aftermarket fitment. black & black or black & plum is a better choice but is not available in base variant.[frustration]

Last edited:
My observations to your negatives , don think am praising Aria just because am buying it![lol]

1. Well actually its marginally better than Safari. I agree its not as great as a Fortuner or Captiva but still better than Safari. Go for back to back TD of Safari and Aria , you will feel the difference.

2. Agreed! Its the same screen present in Manza which is a much much cheaper car!

3.Completely agree! I hate Aria for this actually! My shoe size is only 10 and i myself felt uncomfortable , it will be really uncomfortable in bumper to bumper traffic!

4. Well maybe , we don really need the third row so did not note that.

5. Strange , i checked for panel gaps in my TD vehicle and really din find one! And now i hope i get a good one with no panel gaps!! No use complaining to my SA afterwards![frustration]

6. Okay , is black and black looking good? I have never seen it till now!

5. Strange , i checked for panel gaps in my TD vehicle and really din find one! And now i hope i get a good one with no panel gaps!! No use complaining to my SA afterwards![frustration]
!
Somehow even i found panel gaps. Did you notice the door inserts? The car which i saw last week(Display vehicle, no td yet[anger]) had it. Also the wooden inserts which raj stated look really bad. I am glad Dhaya's car wont have those after marketish inserts.

No Akash i din check the interiors! I can adjust with interiors but exteriors should atleast not have panel gaps like Manza and Vista!

I seriously din notice that wooden insert during the TD![lol]

My observations to your negatives , don think am praising Aria just because am buying it![lol]
Nah! i know you well & you are one frank & unbiased person.

1. Well actually its marginally better than Safari. I agree its not as great as a Fortuner or Captiva but still better than Safari. Go for back to back TD of Safari and Aria , you will feel the difference.
Maybe, but the thing is- i dont expect a marginal difference.

What i mean to say is, when i am plonking 17-18 lakhs on a TATA vehicle, i need the power & comfort of a 25 lakh toyota or honda. else, why should i buy the TATA? I would have been happy if Aria had atleast 160 bhp. Now that the safari is 140 bhp & i am paying more for the Aria, what more am i getting? just a few additional electronic gadgets.

in my opinion, the novelty of these gadgets will wear out in a few months. what really holds on to the vehicle's pleasant ownership is its driving experience which comes from a good engine.

Ask me! i have the mHawk & i was very very excited about the cruise control, TPMS, auto wipers, etc. when the car was new. now, i am bored of it & the only thing i still like about my scorpio is its engine. i can drive it all day & still have a smile on my face.

So, i do expect a much better engine in the Aria.

6. Okay , is black and black looking good? I have never seen it till now!
its nice but i like black & plum more. but it wont gel well with white colour, so your choice is good.

No Akash i din check the interiors! I can adjust with interiors but exteriors should atleast not have panel gaps like Manza and Vista!

I seriously din notice that wooden insert during the TD![lol]
No the panel gaps on exteriors are less though not absent. The only visible gap is the boot door, but again it is not as wide as in Vista.

Hmmm yes Raj i agree with you but i still hope the Aria still wont be as disappointing to drive in highways as a Safari!

Does the Pride variant come with those wooden inserts?

Top Bottom