Tata Aria 4x2 Priced at Rs.11.6 Lakhs. More Affordable Version Expected.

Thread Starter #1
Tata Motors has been testing a new variant of the Aria. The crossover with test plates was spotted in Pune and there was nothing different in the appearance of the car from the current Aria which is on sale. However the interiors had alot of wires danging from the rear view mirror. The Aria has not been a success for Tata Motors with average sales of 300 units per month of the premium offering. Is Tata testing a cheaper variant or an 2WD Aria?

2012_Tata_Aria_Spied.jpg
source - motorbeam.com

Re: Is Tata Testing Cheaper Variant of Aria?

I always feel that sometimes, Tata gets their marketing and pricing of the models they launch, incorrect the first time they launch.

If they had priced Aria with in Innova's range with all the bells and whistles [excluding GPS and other hifi gizmos], it would have been a HIT !

If I had 18-19 lakhs for my disposal, would I go for a Tata product ? NOPE - this is purely my opinion

I have booked a Scorpio for 12.7 lakhs. If Aria was in that price range, I would have surely considered it [glasses]

Yes i agree with your opinion completely. Its pricing should have been in the Safari-Innova-Scorpio range. Also, the cheap version may backfire on Tata considering the fact that it will affect the sales of current Aria a lot.

Saw the initial post closely now. It is not confirmed that Tata is indeed testing such a vehicle now. If Tata wanted a variant with lower equipment level or 2WD, why to cover it? It wouldnt be making waves anyway.

Last edited:

Hmmm i hope its just the 2WD model minus many of the features.

I wont complain about the pricing of Aria , VFM in every aspect! Aria is so much better than Innova be it power , space or mileage! There is not one SUV/MUV in this price range which offers everything the Aria offers currently and many of the SUV'S which are comparitively costlier than Aria still doesn offer everything the Aria offers!

Aria is so much better than Innova be it power , space or mileage! There is not one SUV/MUV in this price range which offers everything the Aria offers currently and many of the SUV'S which are comparitively costlier than Aria still doesn offer everything the Aria offers!
You know what buddy-what you said is also quite correct, since we have booked the car ourselves and seen its VFM. I actually went astray in the above post. I wanted to say that the positioning of Aria was not correct. Tata shouldnt have tried to create a new segment, it would have better launched it in the Outlander Fortuner region. Frankly i dont understand what went wrong with Aria and why it failed.

I see only one reason , people are afraid to put that much money in a TATA product. I am not saying this as i am owning the car , this is true from my heart " The Aria is the best TATA vehicle i have ever driven". So many of my friend's have driven the car and everybody were surprised to see the Aria' drive so good , not one complained about the car! If people are worried about the service well you get standard 3 years/1,00,000KMS warranty and also 4th year extended warranty for just Rs.7000. And to top-it all the Aria gets free service for the entire 3 years!

The next reason i can probably guess is poor marketing! Still there are people who doesn know a car called Aria from TATA even exists!

Frankly i dont understand what went wrong with Aria and why it failed.
Who said Aria has failed? It is very much in demand. A little more effort from Tata in the advertising will boost it further. They have to come up with nice ads just like they did for Safari.

A cheaper variant of Tata Aria coming soon

This speculation was already making rounds that a two-wheel drive cheaper variant of Tata Aria will be launched. The current Aria is a premium segment crossover & many believe that the price tag is on the higher side. Looks like Tatas have realized this. Read the last two lines of this report from NDTV Profit:

Tata Aria hits high price, short supply bumps - NDTV Profit

It says:

A two-wheel drive variant will also be launched within the next six months, which is likely to be a good Rs. 1 lakh cheaper. And then there is the lower base version likely by the third quarter, which could be Rs. 2.5 lakh cheaper, bringing it closer to its rival - the Toyota Innova. [thumbsup]

Re: A cheaper variant of Tata Aria coming soon

A two-wheel drive variant will also be launched within the next six months, which is likely to be a good Rs. 1 lakh cheaper. And then there is the lower base version likely by the third quarter, which could be Rs. 2.5 lakh cheaper, bringing it closer to its rival - the Toyota Innova. [thumbsup]
2.5 lakh cheaper????[surprise] Then Aria is well priced.
BTW 2.5 lakh cheaper than the current product or the above said 4x2 variant? If it is the former, I could say it is a good value engineering project or if it is the later, a wonderful 'feature reduction' project[frustration]

Re: A cheaper variant of Tata Aria coming soon

@ Mods I think a thread exists for this already.

But even if its going to be a Lakh cheaper it is going to be costlier than the Innova , the other variant which is going to be 2.5Lakhs cheaper will be a good competition for Innova though. But these cheaper variants will mostly be missing the premium feeling which the Aria has now!

350Z

Core Team
Re: Tata Motors Testing Cheaper Variant of Aria

The one simple reason I see Aria not doing well in the market is that majority of audience compares it with Innova. But why not? Both the cars are MUVs and are designed for more or less the same purpose. The only difference is that Tata Motors has offered 4x4 and thrown some bonus features in order to make it a cross-version of proper SUV and Sedan. Now this is exactly where the thin line falls. So even if Tata slashes the price of basic variant (without much bells and whistles), it’ll come close down to the Toyota Innova top-end. Yet again – the consumer’s choice will remain most likely certain – Innova, that is. Thanks to more reliable image and list of features. That is why, I believe that when almost all are comparing it with Innova – Tata should jump into the pool by introducing very (Read very) competitively priced 4x2 variant and position it along with Innova, thereafter thinking the strategies to totally flick it away from the scene. Seriously because now it has been too long in the tooth and people will obviously prefer a fresh, reliable and equally loaded alternative that too at an affordable price tag.

Drive Safe,
350Z

AMG

Suspended

What will happen to the new safari, if the Aria is launched at, say, 10 odd lakhs.

350Z

Core Team

What will happen to the new safari, if the Aria is launched at, say, 10 odd lakhs.
Good question but they will have to manage just how the Mahindras are doing it.

Drive Safe,
350Z

well tata might be thinking of launching te 2wdsystem on Aria - the equipment level on current vehicle and see the market's response, no question its a superb product tata ever came out with, what it lacks is finesse of brand value which toyota enjoys plus the reliability toyota offers on their products which also tata fails to deliver.

Top Bottom