TAIger's Tale Of Two Tata Altroz: Dark Edition XZ+ & iTurbo XZ

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Buddies,

It took me a lot of time to write a review for the Altroz Dark Edition XZ+. The car is a non-turbo 1.2L Petrol Spec which made way to my life a couple of months ago. The moment this one was launched, I was mesmerized with it's uber hot looks and the cosmo black body color. As I haven't owned a hatchback so I decided to go for it simply because its a brilliant design and based on the flexible ALFA platform by TATA. The icing on the cake is the unparalleled safety and NCAP rating of 5 star. It was something which I always looked forward to owning. The other Dark Edition as you may be aware is the Harrier. That SUV is like a bear which often hibernates itself in the parking so much so that battery goes off[lol]Harrier is tough but takes a bit of time of get in the groove post hibernation. It is like that lazy black bull which takes time to get up and move. Anyway, this isn't about Harrier here, its about the rather agile performer, the Altroz. By now, you all have understood that I am deeply and strongly obsessed for TATA Cars. But for me owning TML cars is like owning a piece of DESH KA LOHA. Having previously owned the Tigor and now Nexon etc, I can say that these cars might be a bit off w.r.t the fit and finish here and there but they never disappoint in one thing i.e Strength & Safety. Whether they give me a favorable km/l or not, I am not bothered but sitting in them gives me a sense of pride and safety.

IMG_7657.JPG
IMG_7658.JPG

Thread Starter #2

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The looks of this hatchback will grow on you instantly. Whether I see the front, side or the rear profile from every corner this car looks uber hot and the Cosmo Black color complemented aptly by the sporty stance further enhances the awesomeness of this car. On the roads, it isn't like any or the so-called wannabes and neither does it command any unwanted attention. The design in itself is so accomplished that fellow motorists often turn back to give it a second looks specially in the #Dark Avatar. A big applause here goes to the designer Mr. Pratap Bose who conceptualized and turned a concept to a beautiful reality. Keeping in mind the desires and the aspirations of the buyers for a good looking affordable premium hatchback, I am sure the Dark Edition Altroz definitely amazes the people with it's look. Having said that, Personally, while traveling if I eye 20 hatchbacks on the road, believe me, more than even the Tiago 2020, the Altroz catches my eye the most. No unwanted chrome or edges here or there, it appears as a well proportioned design overall to me. The perception of Tata Cars being just like Indica or the Aria has taken a long time to change and there definitely has been a round-the-clock hardwork by the whole team to get over their decade long image. In today's time, in the mass market, I feel, Tata cars are among the best designed and with the upcoming launches, I am sure the bar of good design will be further raised by TML.

Further talking of the design, The Altroz sports a sleek and subtle face featuring a slim black grille with a honey comb design and the front bumper features a big air dam.As I said above too, the use of chrome is minimal which was the 1st thing which I loved in this car. Apart from that the high placed fog-lights accentuate the front looks. The rear design in the Dark Edition continues with a large black applique like on the regular versions on the hatch-door with ALTROZ badging done in Black too. With the introduction of the dark edition, there is no change in any dimensions of the hatchback. The Dark Edition Altroz measures 3,990 mm in length, 1,755 mm in width and 1,523 mm in height, with a wheelbase of 2,501 mm. With 1755mm width Altroz is the widest hatchback of it's segment. Moving ahead, the bulged wheel arches and the pronounced character lines lends the Altroz a muscular appearance. However, being a dark color, the lines and creases might not just be as visible compared to it's lighter shades. The Blackened window panes and B-pillar add a lot of character to the side profile of the car. Overall, I feel the glass area is good enough to make the cabin feel airy though the complete dark upholstery is a bit too much for my taste. The chunky glossy black panel under the windows is a classy design element and the scooped Black panel on the C-pillar houses the rear door handle which is something our old timer folks will take a bit of time to get used to. So, to sum it up I'll say Tata perhaps has given their best shot ever to the premium hatcback segment with Altroz as far as design is concerned.

IMG_7712.JPG
IMG_7708.JPG
IMG_7724.JPG

IMG_7659.JPG
IMG_7660.JPG
IMG_7661.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Interiors of Altroz Dark Edition
IMG_7734.JPG
IMG_7677.JPG
IMG_7674.JPG
IMG_7667.JPG
IMG_7669.JPG
Moving in, the Altroz offers very good legroom & headroom for the front passenger and driver. The cabin is simple and classy to look at. The dashboard is black with a a brushed grey element near ICE screen. The gloss black dashboard element has glitter effect in the dark edition and to be honest, the interiors are tough to maintain as they catch dust easily. The seats get arrow design perforations in front and back with #Dark stitched on the front headrests which I feel is a bit too much. Talking of the interior quality, it is not very extravagant but neither too bad. The fit and finishing in switch panels of the doors and the hard plastic door pads in the dark edition aren't to my liking as neither they look good nor are they scratch resistant. In a premium hatchback, the in-cabin experience needs to be equally good. However, the Ergonomics of the cabin is sorted and all controls are accessible. On a scale of 10, I'll give it a 8. The Leather-wrapped, flat bottom steering gets piano black finish and dark silver inserts in Dark Edition. Talking about the seats, front seats offer satisfactory support, specially the under-thigh, The front adjustable headrests are comfy too with ample cushioning. The rear seat is wide enough for accommodating 3 adults but if a person like me with heavy built (3,5 BHK Physique[lol]) is seated, then 2 adults and a baby or 3-4 year old kid max. The Rear Legroom is quite good too and tall guys like me and dad (both above 6ft) can sit fairly in comfort as can be seen in the pic with the front passenger seat pushed back. But 1 thing I shall say, the bench of rear seat isn't cushiony enough as per dad so had to get it re-profiled for enhanced comfort. For the rear passengers, the adjustable headrests are provided as well and further enhancing the rear seating comfort are the low floor hump and non-protruding air vents at rear.

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
My Buddies,

Here's the 2nd one. Since the DCA has a long waiting period of almost 4-5 months and the Dark Edition DCA too has the same waiting period hence changed the variant to Manual Turbo Petrol XZ. This one replaces NRG.

20220502_115551.jpg
20220502_115758.jpg
20220502_115604.jpg
20220502_115542.jpg

Now a very positive and significant change I would like mention here w.r.t the PDI done at Tata Motors. Often the buyers complaint of issues in their cars while taking delivery. The issues highlighted often are related to electrical components or any mechanical issue relating to steering etc. So, here I am sharing a PDI check done at Tata Motors before dispatch for the electrical and mechanical components. In my view, this is a very good step taken by TML to make sure the customers are provided with properly checked cars with no shortcoming in components from their end. This definitely helps in building a trustworthy image among the buyers and customers. Further it shall help in changing the perception of Tata Cars in minds of general public as well. I am very happy to see this change[clap][cheers]

20220502_140633.jpg

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #7

Akash1886

Honoured Member
My Buddies,

Thought to share a few of my early experiences about the iturbo. The engine is very good compared to the non turbo. It makes the drive almost like a 4 cyl. The NVH is also much better than the non turbo and there is very very negligible lag compared to the non turbo. Honestly post buying this iturbo I have kind of begun to dislike the non turbo[lol] I wish TML provides turbo for Tigor also. This engine (iturbo) with the sports mode is a cool combo. Just have driven about 140 kms but it impressed me a lot. Sharing some upholstery pics. Since I wasn't really fond of OEM fabric so got this changed. The Dark Edition also has gone for upholstery upgrade and shall update on it soon.

IMG_7849.JPG
IMG_7850.JPG
IMG_7851.JPG
IMG_7854.JPG
IMG_7853.JPG
Regards
Reporter Saab[clown]

350Z

Core Team
The new altroz is getting an upholstery upgrade. My uncle has really fine taste about selection of the fabric & color. Loved the seats. Expected to be complete by Monday. Shall post better pics next week.
Congrats on the second Altroz, Akash. The seat covers fitting looks impressive. Where’s this workshop located?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #10

Akash1886

Honoured Member
My buddies,

Turbo Altroz has a front suspension/ shocker issue on right side. Promptly my dealer took it for under warranty repairs. Expected to get it back in 4-5 days.

Regards
Akash

Thread Starter #11

Akash1886

Honoured Member
So my buddies, the Altroz turbo is back The front link rod assembly of Left & Right have been replaced in warranty. The sound is gone. I am very happy with the promptness and correct diagnosis done by my dealer. Within 24 hrs the issue was resolved. Also got the 2nd key for the car. Wonderful experience with TML

Regards
Akash

Top Bottom