TAIgers Pets Help & Discussions

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ 350Z
Great!
Proud to know that you love nature and an animal lover! [:)]

The bond between animals and humans is awesome to behold and even more incredible to experience. Each day brings new pleasures, just by living side-by side with nature’s most beautiful, complex, unique and sometimes mysterious creatures.
Yes, it’s a powerful, everlasting bond.

FROM MY SIDE:
We feed at our home every day around 6 am to 7 am almost 30 to 35 birds (Crows, Bulbul, Myna, Yellow-billed babbler) and Squirrels, and nearly 5 to 6 stray dogs. Unfortunately missing those Sparrows.[sad]
We tried everything for birds like, Millets, overnight water soaked Rice, Paddy , Cooked Rice ... nothing attracted them ! ( Sunflower seeds are expensive and not tried them.)
You may think that I am kidding if I tell the truth… they are all attracted by spicy savoury mixture that we eat during snack time. Our monthly groceries list has 2 Kgs. for them. The dogs don’t even like Bread / milk or curd rice, and they like only Marie Biscuits, so the monthly list also added with super saving Biscuit packs. [lol]

350Z

Core Team
Proud to know that you love nature and an animal lover!
Hi @Dr MUDHAN. Great to interact with a fellow animal-lover. Yes, I’m too fond of fauna and flora. Particularly wildlife. I had a pet Indian Spitz until Dec 2017. She lived well-over 15 Years. Since then had numerous stray cats and kittens which I treated no less than as pets by allowing them in home and taking to vet whenever required. I’m soon looking to get a pet dog but still undecided on breed. It has to be medium size and apartment friendly.

You may think that I am kidding if I tell the truth… they are all attracted by spicy savoury mixture that we eat during snack time. Our monthly groceries list has 2 Kgs. for them. The dogs don’t even like Bread / milk or curd rice, and they like only Marie Biscuits, so the monthly list also added with super saving Biscuit packs.
Haha. Never knew birds can also be so fussy about food. On a different note, perhaps only certain breeds prefer millet. My visitors are mostly Sparrows, Doves and Pigeons. I saw a Bulbul once but it never came back.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ 350Z
I am touched by your response /replay.
Made me to recall Helen Keller’s words – ‘The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched, they must be felt with the heart.’
Indian Spitz is a fine breed has its own popularity among dog lovers.
They have a great zeal & energy, are flexible to all the living conditions of India.
Lesser need of Exercise and Social Interaction is what differentiates an Apartment Adoptive Dog.
Pug, Dachshund, Lhasa Apso, Pomeranian are common breeds in India. Once you liked Indian Spitz you may not like others, may be Beagle as an exception.

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
THE FLYING JEWELS!

86860.gif

I am always amazed to see this tiny little creature. No wonder some people say that the humming birds are the flying jewels!

The cute little size, dazzling colors, the beat of those wings will make any one awestruck. It is really painful to feel that I am missing all those finest feelings now a days as these kindling sights are disappearing in today’s world - The world of noise, pollution, and radiation.

To my surprise, I could see last week one such bird felt safe at my home mini garden and gave birth to young ones. Built a beautiful nest by stitching a large Hibiscus Plant leaf and hatched.
Hummingbird eggs are about the size of navy beans. Most females lay two eggs, which they incubate for 15 – 18 days. Juvenile hummingbirds fledge (leave the nest) 18 to 28 days after hatching.

Humming Bird.jpg

Just happy to note:
They are the smallest migrating bird. ...and, are the only birds that can fly backwards.
In Native American culture, hummingbirds are seen as healers and bringers of love, good luck and joy. In Central America, they are a sign of love and will bring love to the person who spots them.

Just sad to note:
I prepared a homemade nectar (one part of white sugar in four parts of water, boiled and cooled. Made a special feeder for her, but unfortunately the garden squirrel is so naughty and overpowered & drank everything!

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Let’s create a list of TAIger’s recommended Vet Clinics or Hospitals in their respective cities. We’ll move it to a separate thread once there’s sufficient contribution. I had a tough time finding one when my Spitz’s tumor had to be operated. The Government Vet Hospital (Moti Bagh, New Delhi) is good for nothing and had a long waitlist. I stumbled upon Max Vets and have been visiting them ever since. They’ve a professional facility and treat most of the pet animals. However, I don’t trust their team members as much as Dr.Kunal and Dr.Bhanu (owners) though. Let me also add about “Paws To Heaven” pet crematorium. I’ve used their services a couple of times. They understand the sensitivity of the event for a pet owner and depart the pet with due honor and respect.

Max Vets (Pet Hospital)
E-8, Pillar No- 74, East Of Kailash, Delhi - 110065, Near Kailash Colony Metro Station.
Phone: 08448449955 / 9625091508
Note: Max Vets has branches in Greater Kailash and New Friends Colony as well.

Paws To Heaven (Pet Crematorium)
Gadaipur Bandh Rd, Junapur Village, DLF Farms, New Delhi, Delhi 110030
Phone: 011-26895737

Once you liked Indian Spitz you may not like others, may be Beagle as an exception.
True that. Beagle is what I'm considering as well at the moment.

I prepared a homemade nectar (one part of white sugar in four parts of water, boiled and cooled. Made a special feeder for her, but unfortunately the garden squirrel is so naughty and overpowered & drank everything!
Nice shots. That video of Squirrel drinking the nectar is amusing.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ 350Z
Vet Hospitals & Clinics Thread / Practicing Veterinarians

To be a good human is good; to be a human with humane trait & attribute is extraordinary.
To be a successful VET, he must basically be an animal lover. Keeping and treating a pet is not that easy, it’s expensive. It requires quite a lot dedication, caring and extra ordinary kindness to both the Owner and the Doctor as well.
Every professional is not gifted or at least provided with the required skill if not outstanding skills.
Excellent Initiative, will be useful to our member / thread readers as sharing one’s genuine experience would be of immense help.

Last edited:
With the passing away of Kluso & Pearl, there was a kind of void in our regular routine. And the current lockdown made it more difficult to find things to do. So my better half decided to add to our extended family ! So far there are 5 members - all neighborhood strays - who are regulars at meal times!

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
I’m feeding them millet. What else can I offer? Heard that rice isn’t good for birds.
I’ve ran out of millet and local store doesn’t have it due to lockdown. I’m feeding them cracked wheat and corn. Pigeons love corn and those small birds (not sparrows) eat cracked wheat. I’ll give a shot to Oats as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
@ 350Z

Oats could also be a nutritious food source for the birds, however, ensure the oats are uncooked as cooked oats could harden around a bird's beak.

Rice cooked or uncooked won't hurt birds at all. The rumor is that uncooked rice hits the bird's tummy and then swells causing its stomach to explode is simply not true.

The very purpose of throwing rice on the ‘JUST MARRIED' couple as Blessings of the Guests in India and some other countries is meant to collect back and feed birds.

Only thing, we should avoid seed mixtures that have split peas, beans, dried rice as it may not be suitable to small birds.

Popcorn (maize), rice white or brown, split peas, barley, buckwheat (kasha), canary seed, etc., are also good choices for parrots.

Bird Lovers should not miss this video:

Regards,
Dr MUDHAN

Last edited:
Lovely video, Dr. Mudhan. With a few more Birdmen like Joseph Sekar, our world would be a better, happier place.
This young couple, Alexander & Maria in Russia adopted a badly handicapped cougar cub from a petting shop. The establishment had finally decided to put down the young cub - because no one was prepared to adopt it, nor was a zoo prepared to accept an injured and handicapped animal.
When Alexander & Maria heard about this they went to the shop immediately. It was love at first sight for them and they adopted the cub immediately. The rest is history, as Messi the cougar has today become a celebrity on Youtube :-

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Hi folks. Need quick help (@Dr MUDHAN). I found a Yellow Budgerigar struggling around my Balcony. She’s unable to fly much and seemed to be looking for a hiding spot. I’ve informed the neighbors so that its owner can locate it. Meanwhile, I have kept her in basket (with oats, water and leaves) to protect her from predators. Please guide what to do next. How do I ensure she isn’t afraid and what to feed?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Dr MUDHAN

Honoured Member
You have already done your best. Keep some coriander stem bits with little leaves that would give her some energy.
They can't survive if we left it out . Please save tonight, and tomorrow or as early as possible you can hand over her to some one who has such pet birds.
They eat only millet ,not oats.
I am handling online Health Insurance, shall come back after 3 hours

350Z

Core Team
They can't survive if we left it out . Please save tonight, and tomorrow or as early as possible you can hand over her to some one who has such pet birds.
Hi @Dr MUDHAN. Thanks for the help. It’s best if the owner finds it out or I’ll hand it to someone who can care. If nothing works, I’ll get a cage and keep it. The major concern right now is that I don’t have a cage and I’ve kept her in a quite small and dense basket. Can she spend a night in it without hassle?

IMG_20200622_164834295.jpg

This is how I found it.

Photo from Vibhor Tyagi (1).jpg

Photo from Vibhor Tyagi (2).jpg

Photo from Vibhor Tyagi.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom