Tachometer Install on Maruti Zen Estilo

you find the right tacho signal wire.
Hey,

Can you help me find the "brown wire" that is the Tacho signal?

The car in question is a 2010 Alto LXi. I have gone through your thread completely but in your case the speedometer console gets two couplers viz 'K' & 'L' whereas the Alto LXi that I am working has only one coupler where I have posted the images in the link below.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/16123-lots-diys-my-alto-lx-11.html#post496109

Speedometer console:

IMG_20160415_145501.jpg

MASS is not helping me with the ECU pin diagram hence I have turned to this thread. I am apprehensive if Maruti has removed the "Brown wire" altogether after 2009 facelift (IIRC?) as Alto 800 does NOT get a tachometer in any variants. So if you have any idea please point out the brown wire that I must tap for the tacho to work.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #197

deville_56

Honoured Member
Hey,

The car in question is a 2010 Alto LXi. I have gone through your thread completely but in your case the speedometer console gets two couplers viz 'K' & 'L' whereas the Alto LXi that I am working has only one coupler where I have posted the images in the link below.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/16123-lots-diys-my-alto-lx-11.html#post496109

Speedometer console:

View attachment 199346

MASS is not helping me with the ECU pin diagram hence I have turned to this thread. I am apprehensive if Maruti has removed the "Brown wire" altogether after 2009 facelift (IIRC?) as Alto 800 does NOT get a tachometer in any variants. So if you have any idea please point out the brown wire that I must tap for the tacho to work.
No idea man. I have done in an Alto, but it had the same speedo console and twin coupler like Estilo.

Check in speedo if any of the connections go to a no connection contact.

Last edited:
Hey,

Speedometer console:

View attachment 199346

Hai anuraagshenoy,

why can't you get the tacho signal from the Power steering control unit so that you can easily get the signal of the RPM so why wasting time to trace it in the Speedo console unit.

Hai anuraagshenoy,

Why can't you get the tacho signal from the Power steering control unit so that you can easily get the signal of the RPM so why wasting time to trace it in the Speedo console unit.
Hi Kannan,

I tried all the brown wires in power steering module?!

Though it is late now. Thanks for the response

Hi Kannan,

I tried all the brown wires in power steering module?!

Though it is late now. Thanks for the response
All brown wires then you may short circuit then becoz there are 3 brown wire in power steering module 1 for meter alert, 2 for steering torque sensor, 3rd is the RPM signal which is passed directly from ECM to PSM unit.

You must identify the right one and check the signal out come.

Hope you get my point!!!

All brown wires then you may short circuit then becoz there are 3 brown wire in power steering module 1 for meter alert, 2 for steering torque sensor, 3rd is the RPM signal which is passed directly from ECM to PSM unit.

You must identify the right one and check the signal out come!
Will use a multi meter to check for voltage but can I know what the voltage that I have to check for?

"Car without Tacho is like underwear without elastic for a petrolhead" - The D.I.Y. Devil [evil]

Been hunting for ages for a cheap good quality tacho for Hell's Angel, all quotes were north of 3.5k, so the search continued until Maruti launched Ritz/A-Star with Pod tacho. Inquired Maruti about that only to end up mail forwards to Maruti dealer and wash off by Customer Care.

And one fine day our own Varun posted his installs and inspired me to give a try. He had one spare and bought it from him. The entire story starts here. Very much thankful to him [clap]

Final outcome.

View attachment 49998

I hope this will help all Maruti boys like me badly wanting to install tacho in their beasts. Wiring and all same for Alto/Wagon R (and maybe for 800s). For tacho price and details refer Varun's other thread.

Never get confused with the ECU. Searched for ECU diagram for this specific one, but failed. Wiring detail for Estilo was not availabel anywhere. No SVC, customer care or neighborhood mod shop guy unwilling to lend a hand, reached dead end and never thought of fitting this.

After sleeping with the tacho for exactly a month, lost patience and decided to fight out the ECU. After a search found ECU is similar to Baleno (series), but again let down was every other Maruti had 3 connectors while Estilo got 4 connectors #Fish#.

Then compared all Maruti/Suzuki workshop manuals and found out tacho signal is Brown for all Maruti models. In the end found Speedo console connector was same as Alto's (which I found long back even before started thinking about the tacho [frustration]). Philosophy over, let's start.

The ECU (lies just behind glove box). No need to mess/worry about it. Leave it alone.

View attachment 49983

The A-Star tacho (from Varun)

View attachment 49984

Tacho working for the first time, giving hope.

View attachment 49985

Redlined (not only tacho's first time, also the Angel's)

View attachment 49986

Dismantled.
Sequence (front frame (insert screw driver from below, can deform the frame leaving it ugly)>>glass and other frames>>pluck the needle (careful)>>dial>>remove the leg/base (2 screws)>>remove 2 screws behind dial>>cup and circuit board comes out)

View attachment 49987

Feeble yellow backlit.

View attachment 49988

Custom red test.

View attachment 49989

SMDs stripped out from LED strip, connected directly to tacho positive and negative, eliminating separate backlit connections.

View attachment 49990

These OEM legs and clips hinders flat fit.

View attachment 49991

Cut and clean.

View attachment 49996

All assembled.

View attachment 49992

Check for the perfect place. Take into account minimal blind spots, no hindrance in cleaning dash, pillars, glass, etc.

View attachment 49993

View attachment 49994

View attachment 49995

All ready to fit. Used tired and tested foam tapes.

Connections - Red - To ACC positive, Black - Negative, Yellow with white stripes - Tacho signal, Yellow with blue stripe - Bakclit.

View attachment 49997
As inspired from yourdetailed post i decided to fit one for my alto k10 2010 lxi. so i first removed instrument cluster but i could see only one coupler (attaching the image) in that there are two brown wires and i am confused . i checked voltages and one is showing battery voltage and other is around 3 volts but it is not changing with rpm rise... can anyone help me
photo6294313317644216429(1).jpg

Thread Starter #204

deville_56

Honoured Member
As inspired from yourdetailed post i decided to fit one for my alto k10 2010 lxi. so i first removed instrument cluster but i could see only one coupler (attaching the image) in that there are two brown wires and i am confused . i checked voltages and one is showing battery voltage and other is around 3 volts but it is not changing with rpm rise... can anyone help me
View attachment 260225
K-Series got different wiring. Connection is tapped from power steering control unit. It also got a brown wire. Not sure about Alto, A-Star got one.

You must identify the right one and check the signal out come.

Hope you get my point!!!
This could help

Last edited:
K-Series got different wiring. Connection is tapped from power steering control unit. It also got a brown wire. Not sure about Alto, A-Star got one.

This could help
may i know where is power steering cu located and how can i identify rpm signal wire.. can the voltage be checked using multimeter.. what might be the range

No idea man. I have done in an Alto, but it had the same speedo console and twin coupler like Estilo.

Check in speedo if any of the connections go to a no connection contact.
have you got the signal wire?

Hey,

Lots of DIYs on My Alto LX

Speedometer console:

View attachment 199346

have you got the signal wire?

Thread Starter #206

deville_56

Honoured Member
may i know where is power steering cu located and how can i identify rpm signal wire.. can the voltage be checked using multimeter.. what might be the range
It A-Star it's behind dashboard near the steering column. Got three couplers, the white coupler got the RPM signal, a brown wire. Don't how it is in Alto.

It A-Star it's behind dashboard near the steering column. Got three couplers, the white coupler got the RPM signal, a brown wire. Don't how it is in Alto.
i shall check on sunday..

will the rpm signal voltage fluctuates on rising rpm.. what might be the voltage range?

Hey,

Lots of DIYs on My Alto LX

Speedometer console:

View attachment 199346

Hi there, I own a 2011 Eeco, it has an identical instrument cluster to the one shown here, and after a bit of researching I found it out that the instrument cluster of zen estilo which has a tachometer is completely identical to that of my eeco (including the position of mounts and coupler too) wanted to know whether the estilo's cluster fits on my eeco?

images.jpeg.jpg

The zen estilo instrument cluster

Screenshot_20230413-134406_Chrome.jpg

The rear view of zen estilo instrument cluster

Screenshot_20230413-134213_Chrome.jpg

The Eeco instrument cluster which looks identical but sans tachometer!

@deville_56 bro is there a way to get a service manual for the Alto 2010 or even an Alto k10 1st gen. I wanted it to look at the wiring details of the instrument cluster. it has the same type of single coupler as shown above by @athulyateja. I'm trying to swap it for a the old Alto 1.1 cluster which has two couplers like in your zen estilo and Alto (pre-2009). I've figured like half of the wiring using a multimeter but I want it to be complete with all the wiring in the correct order. Hope anyone helps out. Thanks.

Top Bottom