T-Rex is Here - Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton RX6

Hi
Hope you are enjoying your Rexton. It was my choice too and decided for the new Scorpio at the last moment. It had nothing to do with vehicle but considering my plan to use the vehicle for not more than 5 years, i thought Scorpio would be a better value for money and will offer better resale price.
I was not very impressed by Rexton during my test drives on how it handles corners. It is fine at a speed between 80 to 100 and beyond that could feel the body roll. Any ways we hardly drive these vehicles above 120 . So these things hardly matter in day to day drives.

Thread Starter #63
Day before yesterday planned to visit Rajkot, just Rexton couldn't start. Called ASC, person came within 1-1.5 hours (meanwhile I had left for Rajkot in i10 as had to attend family function). The silly mistake done by me was - Rexton had unique safety feature, when you press clutch, car will start. If don't press clutch, gear may be any place, car won't start. I had habit of pressing clutch since Maruti Zen, hence don't remembered it is hard core imbibed in Rexton.

Blessing in disguise was, first time took i10 on highway, first time drove it beyond 100kmph. First time able to measure FE on highway, it was 11.5kmpl (automatic gearbox, with A/C on all the time). And the coincidence, I took it on highway just after the news that similar compact cars have failed to get single star in recent NCAP crash test [;)]

I have the 2013 RX-7. I got the tires changed to international size which is 255-65x16. I put Yokohama Geolandar AT-S. The tires change the vehicle's dynamics considerably as the ride and handling gets way better and the Geolandars do superb off road. I have put 12 thousand KM on the Rexton with two Delhi-Kolkata trips and one Kolkata-Odisha trip. I use Delvac-1 for engine oil and have changed both the differential oil to Mobil-I synthetic gear oil. The vehicle is very smooth and quiet even under hard acceleration.

Attachments

Thread Starter #66
Hello Arup, welcome to TAI Rexton club [:)][:D]

BTW, Can you share how much wheels + tyres change cost to you?

Did you find front guard really useful, because I am confused whether to instal it.

Thank you Mathew will post more pics soon. My ownership has been quite satisfactory, the early niggles was with a loose fitting air conditioner unit that was replaced by Mahindra, apart from that they also changed a vacuum switch. Otherwise absolutely perfect and I have taken this vehicle over its share of bad roads and heavy monsoon and waterlogged streets.

dhoom9, if you do off road with Rexton these are the only guards that will not cover the air bag sensor in the bumpers. I highly recommend them as the Rexton's Achilles heel is the low over hang of the front and rear bumpers.
The original rubber slippers aka HANKOOK HT tires fetched me around 4k each as I took the vehicle straight to the tire dealer from the showroom. They are odd size as well so many were reluctant to take them. The Yokohama were around 9800 each so I paid the difference. I went for standard international size for Mercedes ML270 and Rexton RX-7 but for India my next upgrade will be 275-70x16 with new rims to gain more height.

Thread Starter #68
Completed 10000 KMs, & got 1st free service done. Did call to Mahindra Engineer Mr. Prakashbhai, extremely helping person, next day appointment given & even pickup & drop was arranged. Approx bill was given with delivery time by SMS, & vehicle was given at delivery time without any issue. Bill was Rs. 5008 as per image.

20150323_014014.jpg

why not try 255/60 R18. Rexton is available internationally with this tyre size.
My sole purpose is to raise the height, the current size I am using is also the original size that came with the US ML270 and Rextons in Philippines and Malaysia. Yes the size you recommend will give me a one inch lift over existing ones but I also need Geolander AT-S in that size and easily available so they can be replaced when they face damage on road. The other issue would be sourcing rims either OEM or good quality ones.

Completed 10000 KMs, & got 1st free service done. Did call to Mahindra Engineer Mr. Prakashbhai, extremely helping person, next day appointment given & even pickup & drop was arranged. Approx bill was given with delivery time by SMS, & vehicle was given at delivery time without any issue. Bill was Rs. 5008 as per image.

View attachment 165256
Sorry to say that FEO oil is a joke, switch to Mobil Delvac MX or Delvac 1 if you can and also change your differential oils. I did mine at 1000km to remove all metal filings that come from new gears meshing.

Last edited by a moderator:
How do you/fellow rexton owners find the A/C performance?.I have a RX5 and the middle row air flow is very low
The overall AC performance is much worse than my other vehicles i10 auto or the ford aspire.It takes too long time to cool the cabin even if i put lo and turn on every blower to max. service guys just top up the gas and says it is meeting their spec

Hey dhoom9, arup, ryan2010 any updates your car?

We are planning to buy an SUV and the Rexton proved to be a worthy contender. We might even go ahead with that. So any updates? Can you shed some more light on the reliability and fuel efficiency of the Rexton? And how well is Ssangyong taking car your cars?

Thread Starter #73
Mine has recently completed 20K kms, & 2nd service done. Had met with minor accident done by driver, front bumper mild damage with damaged right turn indicator & fog lamp complex, all changed to new one at around 58,000 rs, but all covered bt insurance except 1000 Rs, processing fee. But no other complaints & the beast keep roaring on the road. One minor complaint is usually I took car on road every sunday, & I found tire pressure spontaneously decrease by 2-3 psi, & I have to refill all four tyres to 32psi. Planning to check for puncture if it repeats net sunday.

Top Bottom