T-Rex is Here - Mahindra Ssangyong Rexton RX6

AMG

Suspended
Congrats on the (aptly named) T-Rex.
It is indeed a beast, and is my current fav. SUV.

Well done for not succumbing to the temptation of playing it safe and getting a T-Fort. [clap]

Thread Starter #18
Many thanks for your kind feelings - MSN1, nikhn, vishnu vichu, anshuman8, rakeshkn, Iron Rock, smooth rider, vBeat, Ambylovers, mukesh, srid68, karthick raja, AMG.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #19
"T-Rex" just completed 1300 kms of driving, 90% highway & 10% city traffic.

20140723_214129.jpg
Salient features:

1) Suspension is very good. Don't worry about small bumps or pot holes.

2) No noise (rattle & crackles from metal / dashboard nothing)

3) Impressive pickup, very easy to reach 100 or 120 kms speed as compared to Innova (very difficult to limit myself to 100 kmph as advised by many for initial 1000-2000 kms)

4) FE is 9.3 kmpl, but that include 1.0 km patch of 4L driving twice. 4L driving really appear to be fuel guzzler. Plan to do tankfull method for FE in TOD mode & 4L mode & will post figures soon.

5) 3rd seat basically useless as flush to floor, no head-rests & don't recline - good for in laws [;)]

6) Impressed with Driver’s seat with electronic easy access system as it make driver egress/ingress very easy & comfortable. But this doesn't happen every time, so there might be some sequence of engine stop / pull out key / gear in neutral / parking brake / open door - which still I have not mastered).

7) Wipers don't have intermittent mode as usual. Rather than usual Mist/off/Int/Low/High settings, Rexton has Mist/Off/Auto/Low/High. In low rain condition, I prefer "Int" intermittent setting which I really miss here. Auto setting many times doesn't suit my requirement & "Low" setting appear sometimes unnecessary speedy as compared to shower rain condition.

8) Spare wheel is not Alloy wheel like regular wheels, & if need to use spare wheel in unfortunate condition e.g. puncture, manual says max speed be < 60kmph.

9) Manual says doors get auto locked after 50kmph speed (speed sensitive door locks), but it often remain unlocked even with speed > 50kmph, don't know why. Also logic behind auto lock after 50kmph remain unclear.

Many manufacturers do not provide spare alloy wheels. In order to keep the costs lower, they provide steel rims and generally the tyre size is also smaller (they call it space saver[:)]), I interpret it as money saver for the manufacturer. The limitation of speed is due to the smaller size of the spare tyre.
Autolocking, in most cars is set at 15 or 20kmph. 50kmph does not make sense to me. Moreover, there will be a setting to activiate that option in the car computer system. The manual will probbaly give details.

Thread Starter #21
Many manufacturers do not provide spare alloy wheels. In order to keep the costs lower, they provide steel rims and generally the tyre size is also smaller (they call it space saver[:)]), I interpret it as money saver for the manufacturer.
Rightly said.
Stock wheels 16 inch alloy wheels with 235/75 R16 tyre
Spare 16 inch non-alloy wheel with 175/90 R16 spare tyre

The limitation of speed is due to the smaller size of the spare tyre.
Autolocking, in most cars is set at 15 or 20kmph. 50kmph does not make sense to me. Moreover, there will be a setting to activiate that option in the car computer system. The manual will probbaly give details.
Yeah, there is button on driver side door near windows up/down button for central lock. But what I was mentioning was about "auto-lock" once car starts. Gone through manual completely, got info of 50km limit but no info how to change that.

Same goes about ORVM. They are electrically adjustable & foldable, but not automatic. Well, but this are no big deals. Just got to mention them because they are there in lower down SUV (XUV 500).[frustration]

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended
See, the thing about auto lock in these vehicles sold abroad is kind of strange.

Once you get going, and after a particular time/particular speed(depending on manufacturer's choice), the doors get auto locked. I think this is something to do with safety of occupants, not sure.

But from the inside, they are never locked. Try this out. Go for a spin around the block, and come back and park the T-Rex.

Dont turn off the engine, dont get down. Just keep sitting. And tell someone from the family to open the door from the outside. It'll be locked. But you can open it from the inside at any time.

Thread Starter #23
Today, T-Rex got two most anticipated additions -

1) Reverse Camera: As per promised to be installed as complimentary by Sales manager Mr. Vashishth Pathak, was installed at ASS. Photo taken at night after rain.

20140723_215732.jpg
20140724_223734.jpg
20140724_223509.jpg

2) Woofer with Amplifier: After having heard fast songs in DJ parties, I don't enjoy audio without BASS, ditto in car also. Even before purchasing car, I had asked whether SW+Amplifier can be installed with stock ICE, or I will have to change car or ICE [:)]

20140723_215833.jpg

Life is now much enjoyable, & really daily try to find out some excuses for self driving the car.

Thread Starter #24
T-Rex odo at ~1500 kms, FE by tankful method is 10.3kms (all city driving & AC always ON).
Absolutely no niggles, no rattles/squeaks, extremely happy with suspension & everything.

Annoying thing was sometime electronic access system for easy egress/ingress of driver doesn't seem to work, & it is very difficult to get in if seat is not fully down & back. But now I knew that before stop engine & removing key, you should apply parking brake->stop engine->remove key & driver seat comes to neutral position & egress / ingress is quite easy then. I had stop using parking brake due jam issue with my another car Hyundai i10 AT Wheels Locked Up! , I was using only placing to 1st gear to immobilize car, but started using parking brake again.

Couldn't resist to put some more pics of T-rex [:)].

Inside the hood:
2014-07-11_16-52-38_HDR.jpg

T-Rex resting at farmhouse:
2014-08-10_15-03-21_HDR.jpg
20140810_150237.jpg
20140810_151021.jpg

After I reach farmhouse, the rain started & T-Rex too enjoyed natural bath. The following video shows the same, & the rough patch which gave me direct access to main highway, but was inaccessible in monsoon due to excess mud. I had to re-route to reach farmhouse, till I had Innova or friends' Duster, Verna, i10 etc. But now rough patch is no-nonsense to me, thanks to T-Rex TOD function, not to forget immense power & torque [:D]. I tried video for rough patch, but was alone & almost night when returning to home. May be next weekend [;)]

T-Rex at farmhouse

Last edited:
Thread Starter #27
Congratulations for your new SUV T-REX.[clap]
Keep updating the thread with your driving experiences. Stay safe and keep [drive]
Thanks saroya. Sure to update the thread, as such I am always finding excuses to update it [:D]

Hi,
Car looks amazing in the above photograph. how about the service cost of this car compared to XUV5OO and Innova?
1st service is due at 10K, & then every 10K, so long way to go. But will mention here as & when done.

Congratulations dhoom9,

Congratulations for the new drive. Wishing you safe miles ahead. I was on a vacation and spending time with my drive (fortuner).

How is the steering wheel? Is it heavy? How is the wheel mounted controls, are they handy?

Yo Ssanyong, like your work. Your T-Rex is just super with those external features. It is a good cruiser and good thing to go on highways. Enjoy it.
Wishing you many more happy miles with your T-Rex.

Thread Starter #30
Congratulations dhoom9,

Congratulations for the new drive. Wishing you safe miles ahead. I was on a vacation and spending time with my drive (fortuner).

How is the steering wheel? Is it heavy? How is the wheel mounted controls, are they handy?
Thanks for the feelings. Steering wheel is very light, even comfortable for ladies in city traffic driving. Persons who love to get feedback from steering will dishearten here. Steering wheel is mentioned to be speed sensitive, but I had never gone beyond 2000rpm (~90-100kmph in 5th gear), so can't say about higher speeds. TF is great car, but I owned Innova for 9 years, & I wanted car with unlimited features, gone to TD XUV500, Rexton was there with no history of any niggles, wife liked it very much & rest is history.

Yo Ssanyong, like your work. Your T-Rex is just super with those external features. It is a good cruiser and good thing to go on highways. Enjoy it.
Wishing you many more happy miles with your T-Rex.
Thanks jettasam.

Top Bottom