Swift DIY: A/C Blower + Air Filter + A/C Filter Cleaning!

Thread Starter #1
As any car that clocks miles and is used regularly, be it singly or loaded with passengers, it is the Air Conditioning (HVAC) system that maintains the interiors clean provided the interiors are cleaned regularly and also A/C being used regularly (read windows rolled up) giving the occupants as much as possible clean air to breathe. Also the Air filter keeps the engine breathing cleaning so we get better performance, FE and reliability.

It is a good practice to clean these at regular intervals so they have a longer service life.

The load generally falls on the cabin air filter that is placed in between to not let the dirt/debris get through via the A/C ducts. Now the secondary unit that takes the load is the blower and the motor itself. If that itself is dusty and debris laden, it will simply push all that through to the filter then into the cabin.

With 66,000 kms on the odometer and IIRC I had opened the blower at 4K kms when the car was new to check, it has been approximately 62,000 kms since I have opened the blower unit to clean. I drive through heavily dusty areas, certain times the visibility is low due to the dust that is in air thanks to "no-roads" that I travel on. This makes the cabin air filter dirty very quickly hence needing the cleaning at regular intervals.

I was noticing that the sound of the blower was slightly on the higher side when at position 1 and 2, hence made me think if the blower was dirty requiring cleaning making the need for this DIY.

This time I thought why not put up a thread so it could help fellow others too for cleaning the blower and filters as well rather than spending bucks and donating it to the ASC for the same job.

Tools Required:

1 x Rachet handle
1 x Extension rod
1 x 8 mm flank socket
1 x Cloth for wiping / cleaning
1 x Pressurized air blower

20150219_165721.jpg

20150219_165752-vert.jpg

Thread Starter #2
1) For the engine air filter, the box contains 4 screws on the 4 corners that need to be removed to free out the top cover to get access to the filter. Be delicate in handling as the top cover is connected to the MAF sensor.

2) For the cabin air filter, one needs to remove the glove box to get clear access to the A/C unit and filter cover.

1) A/C Blower Cleaning

Blower to be cleaned
2. Blower to be cleaned.jpg

Power source for motor
3. Power source.jpg

Instruction to open the clip
Instruction.jpg

Wire holder
4. Clip that sits into slot.jpg

Wiring harness holding clip
5. Slot - Wiring holder.jpg

Power source detached
6. Wiring detached.jpg

3 screws that need to be removed to free the motor
7. Screws to be removed.jpg

Blower lowered
8. Blower removed from casing.jpg

Blower unit detached for cleaning
9. Blower unit detached.jpg

2) Air Filter Cleaning

Engine air filter
20150219_170524.jpg

Dust after tapping it several times
20150219_170944.jpg

3) Cabin Air Filter OR A/C Filter Cleaning

A/C Filter
20150219_172540.jpg

Leaves/Dust collected by the filter
IMG_20150925_022610.jpg

Mesh needs to be removed to clean the rubber boot thoroughly that facilitates the mode changes
IMG_20150925_032430.jpg

Fresh Air mode
Fresh Air Mode.jpg

Recirculation mode
Recirulation Mode.jpg

Hope it helps you all. Thanks for reading guys. :)

Last edited:
1) For the engine air filter, the box contains 4 screws on the 4 corners that need to be removed to free out the top cover to get access to the filter. Be delicate in handling as the top cover is connected to the MAF sensor.

2) For the cabin air filter, one needs to remove the glove box to get clear access to the A/C unit and filter cover.

thanks for posting this. i was in doubt how to open this blower fan these many days and clean in MASS, for cleaning they charge 800 and if shampoo wash is done then its 1200.

Will try this weekend and let you know.can you provide the link where you brought this driver kit which will much appreciated.

1) A/C Blower Cleaning

Blower to be cleaned
View attachment 189767

Power source for motor
View attachment 189768

View attachment 189769

Wire holder
View attachment 189770

View attachment 189771

Power source detached
View attachment 189772

View attachment 189773

Blower lowered
View attachment 189774

View attachment 189775

2) Air Filter Cleaning

Engine air filter
View attachment 189776

View attachment 189777

A/C Filter
View attachment 189779

View attachment 189780

Mesh needs to be removed to clean the rubber boot thoroughly that facilitates the mode changes
View attachment 189778

Fresh Air mode
View attachment 189781

Recirculation mode
View attachment 189782

Hai Anuraag,

i have tried this morming to remove the Blower unit from my ritz but its not able to succeed as the blower unit is fixed very inner side of the AC unit.

The screws are different.i don't think this one can be removed as DIY.

Any one tried of removing the Blower in any ritz can help me out.

Last 2 weeks the blower unit sound with humming noise as the blower is stuck with some dust particles i think..........

Last edited:

1) A/C Blower Cleaning

Blower to be cleaned
View attachment 189767

Power source for motor
View attachment 189768

View attachment 189769

Wire holder
View attachment 189770

View attachment 189771

Power source detached
View attachment 189772

View attachment 189773

Blower lowered
View attachment 189774

View attachment 189775

2) Air Filter Cleaning

Engine air filter
View attachment 189776

View attachment 189777

A/C Filter
View attachment 189779

View attachment 189780

View attachment 189778

Fresh Air mode
View attachment 189781

Recirculation mode
View attachment 189782

Hi Anurag,

Can you elaborate on how you cleaned the blower fins?

I used a cloth wrapped to flat head screw driver and passed along the fins, I could clean most of the fine dust, but was not 100% clean.

Cheers,
Darshan

Friends please give a pictorial direction how open the engine air filter box and clean the air filter of Rirz petrol car

anuraagshenoy said:
For the engine air filter, the box contains 4 screws on the 4 corners that need to be removed to free out the top cover to get access to the filter. Be delicate in handling as the top cover is connected to the MAF sensor.
Would please post some picture. Mine is Ritz petrol.

Top Bottom