Swapping Diesel Engine in a Petrol Engine Car

Re: Petrol Engine to Diesel Engine Swap

Thanks all for the replies.

One more question... When did the RTO stop allowing diesel to petrol engine swap? I remember by dad fitting a Matador Diesel engine in a Petrol Amby way back in 1992 legally. Those days Petrol Amby's were available for 40 Grand and the Matador engine costed 40 K more. [clap]

By the way: I know people in Delhi who have plonked in Nissan CD 17 engines in Cielo's and Palio's and are getting fuel economy of 18 kmpl in city conditions. Have no clue how they managed to endorse this in the RTO if, as you guys say is not allowed anymore..

Cheers

i think there car must be registered to UP and haryana as there power of money rock . you endorsed whatever you like . But if its Delhi number then they are running it illegal and whenever cops catch them there cars gone already my 2 relative cars were sized by police still lying and getting rusted

but officially i think it become illegal after 2006

I have owned a Standard 2000, Volvo 740 GLE and a Toyota Crown, all of which were fitted with imported diesel engines. This was ofcourse ten years ago, when getting RTO endorsement for dieselisation was not an issue. This topic is of interest to me because of various reasons outlined below. 1. I want to buy a Hindustan Trekker. One reason is its low price compared to other offroad vehicles. Other being its simple and rugged looks and low ground clearance, vast interior space, legroom, luggage space etc. People might suggest the Trax or Bolero but I prefer the Trekker for the abovementioned reasons. 2. The problems are a) Under powered Isuzu 1500 cc engine which developes a measly 37.5 HP b) only 2WD and I am seeking a 4WD vehicle. c) manual steering, which makes it extremely difficult to park in crowded places. This can be solved by fitting a larger engine for e.g. The Isuzu 2.0 L Turbo diesel with 5 speed gearbox which powers the Ambassador and used to power the Contessa. My mechanic assures me that he can convert the vehicle into 4WD with an used Mahindra gearbox and also alter the power steering assembly of a contemporary vehicle to fit the Trekker. The whole exercise would cost about 1.5 to 2 Lakhs, but you would have a top class offroad vehicle, which would be cheaper than Bolero or Trax. Question is would the RTO endorse the change of the engine? the other option is to order a tailor made vehicle from HM with a 2.0 L Isuzu engine at extra cost and carry out the other alterations. I look forward to technically sound and practically viable suggestions.

Thread Starter #19

Hm wont take that much interest . its for 100% sure.

The changes that you are saying is practical. but not possible to endorse in rc.

thing you must do , since the trekker is bough as diesel , plon in the izuzu and engrave the same thing that is on a trekker engine. like the engine number and other things like hm etc.

For 4x4 conversion you dont need to endorse in rc , i hope .
what you need is Borg warner case and the front axle , may sound easy but can be done with right spirit!

if its diesel to diesel then yes you can endorsed in RC but if its petrol to diesel then you can't . Also 4X4 doesn't need to be endorsed in RC . so you safe

Hypothetical question:
What diesel engine would fit in a Santro? Petrol to Diesel conversion is no longer permitted by RTO, so you cannot do it. I have seen Maruti 800's converted with Daihatsu engines in the past.
I feel the downsized fiat mulitjet engine in the Chevy Beat diesel should do well in theory,but i dont think anyone would try it(excluding the fact its illegal now also).

Can a Honda city 1.5 2002 model fitted with diesel engine if yes which engine how much will it cost can't sell the car due to sentimental value

Mastersquall :- can the Nissan engine the one which is fitted in esteem can fit in the Honda city.if yes what it may cost .I'll manage the illegal problem. It can be solved. Please help.

Another question will the ecu system will be replaced by manual wiring. When new diesel engine ( if its any engine) is fitted in the city. And if it has to what it will cost and does manual wiring has some drawback.

Mastersquall :- can the Nissan engine the one which is fitted in esteem can fit in the Honda city.if yes what it may cost .I'll manage the illegal problem. It can be solved. Please help.
yes it can be should cost around 50k complete but these engine doesn't last long personally seen my self . one of Guy got it installed engine after 50k km it gave up

yes they will replace everything related to engine but I don't remember that engine was manual or ecu operated

as in theory any petrol car can be converted to diesel but that depends on the retrofitter.
I have seen maruti car to sonata in diesel & best place for conversion is mayapuri in New Delhi

How about buy a sealed engine from Delhi. Do they also last the same like 50k and all . And I wanted to know whether this Nissan engine creates a lot of vibration and does it sound less than the indica or it makes more noise than that.

Has anyone seen a Honda city converted to diesel on the firm or not till now.

Last edited by a moderator:

i have driven lot of converted cars & they all perform great
nowdays lots of people convert their cars to diesel & maximum of them are from Punjab
people also buy petrol cars from Delhi & get them diesel converted in Punjab as far as I know Punjab is best known for diesel as for conversion it ranges from 35k to 65k depending on engine its condition & make of car.

Top Bottom