Suzuki Twins SS80DX (1984) and Maruti 800 DX (1987)

Thread Starter #1
Guys i will be writing the detail ownership of my Suzuki Twins The SS80DX(1984) and Maruthi 800 DX(1987) very soon.

Just an quick update on both the vehicles:

Suzuki SS80DX(1984):

Colour: Red
Kms: Around 150000

Still runs with the same Stock Suzuki engine and gearbox including the timing belt, Mitsubishi Alternator, Mikuni carburetor and Denso distributor .

Maruthi 800 DX(1987):

Colour: White but remodeled to look like Type III 800 (2007)
Kms: Around 128000

Engine overhauling is in progress as white smoke started coming out of her. Half engine overhauling is in progress. Since in 1987 some parts localisation happened in India except the engine block.

Few pics of my SS80DX(after paint job was done few yrs back), Ikon and my BIL's Santro is below.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Maruti 800 DX is started with half engine work done. Now sending it to Touch Up & Polish work on monday will share some pics when she is back.

Great your car is looking still in good shape! Waiting to see your other car's pictures soon!

Great to see that you have a good parking space to park three cars!

Thread Starter #4
I ll post the other pics of my other 2 cars. Both are getting ready to hit for the paint job. My house can park nearly 5 to 6 cars. Once upon a time my dad had has garage full of amby's.

oh! mods please sticky this thread. very sad to see thread liek this without replies!! great thread bharath please start sharing your experiences!! [clap]

350Z

Core Team
Re: Suzuki Twins SS80DX(1984) and Maruthi 800 DX(1987)

I'm sorry for missing out this one brilliant thread. Great that you own two renowned cars of the previous era, Bharath. Do upload more pictures of both the cars and post the review soon.

Drive Safe,
350Z

hi Bharat, a very good thread with equally good cars on-board.

waiting for the detailed ownership report and good/bad experiences you have had with them.

Thread Starter #9

Guys i ve been so busy these days. Will post an update tomo and some more pics.

Thread Starter #10

OMG i was writing the reviews of my car as i was to finish my system got rebooted and i did not post. Now i need to start writing it again.

Thread Starter #11

I was looking for a car for my dad. It is gonna be rarely used. My dad finds difficult to climb in and out my 84’ SS80DX since the car is very low. So the hunt began for finding a car. I and he choose tht 800 is the best buy since it is goona coz lil cheap and maintenance is also low.

I was discussing about this matter to my buddy and suddenly he said tht he was planning to sell his 800 as he’s going on a transfer to B’lore and is planning to buy Manza as his family size has got increased. Then I started talking to him abt his car and found out tht it was a 2nd owner 87 model white colour. He said tht the car need some repair on it and he said tht the mechanics were asking around 25k to repair and hence he was welling to seel it.

He purchased this car from his uncle 2yrs back who bought a Hyundai i10 and the Hyundai guys were asking only 20k on a exchange for it so my friend decided he would take this car. After roughly a week he bought the car to my office and I quickly made inspection on her. The 1st thing tht struck me was the TCW reg’n with a fancy number on it. Then I opened the bonnet and found another surprise was awaiting me. My god this car had a Suzuki badged engine on her. And after seeing it I decided without even further inspection I struck a deal with him for 18k. Both my 800’s are of Suzuki Engine.

The car had a FC done and was valid till 2014. The same day I paid him the money and took her home. My dad made a similar inspection as I had done but with a further extent since he is a automobile engineer and my family having worked in this automobile industry for more than 50 yrs. All my family members, my uncles, my cousins and my grandfather, my great grandfather’s, etc are into automotive field from early 20’s except me. They used to be race tuners in the late 70’s till 90’s when my dad used to tell me tht Suzuki engined 800’s were easier to modify and had more power compared to the one’s made in India.

She was lying idle in my garage for over a week and one fine morning I saw an 800 parked opposite to my house. It was same color as mine White but it was a type 3 around 2008 model I guess. She was shining in the sunlight and I immediately called my dad and showed him the car and my brains struck with a idea of remodeling my car into Type 3. But I had only a budget of 20k and stretched further of 10k.First step was to bring the car into very good running condition.

Condition when I bought the car:

• Engine overhaul was required due to pumping of White smoke from her.
  • Full of Corrosion and rust.
  • Interiors in horrible state.
  • Seat covers, roof and door pads were all torn out state.
  • All the tyres were fully flat.
  • A/c was not working courtesy compressor was missing in the car.
  • Clutch needed a full replacement.

First step was to whether to replace the engine or rebore it. Engine was pulled out of the car and was dismantled fully. Then we had few surprises. The timing belt, Clutch plate, Wheel cylinder were the entire original one’s ie. I was able to see the word SUZUKI JAPAN engraved on it. Then we were even more shocked to see tht the alternator was also from JAPAN but from Mitsubishi Electric. The carb was also from Japan MIKUNI brand on it. Then we gave the engine for reboring and we bought the New Piston, Piston rings. For the piston and rings we waited for nearly 10 days coz my dad was adamant tht he would only use SGP (Suzuki Genuine Parts) brand as it was fully imported and the originals in the car were also from SGP. After the engine overhauling was done the engine was loaded into the car, changed the clutch plate and cover assembly. All the engine beds were changed. New Shell Helix oil was poured into with new filters all way and after 2 weeks we finally started the car.

Cost:

Engine Overhauling:

1. Reboring lathe charge was around 4000 bugs.
2. SGP piston and piston rings around 5000 bugs (not sure).
3. Shell Helix 3 lit 800 bugs
4. Oil filter Purolator 130 bugs
5. Fuels filter Purolator 80 bugs.
6. Clutch plate and cover assembly 1500 bugs.
7. Clutch cable 300 bugs
8. Brake oil 200 bugs.
9. Gearbox oil price not known.
10. Engine bed around 600 bugs set of 3 including the gear box bed.
11. Break Pads 300 bugs
12. MICO sparks set of 3 180 bugs.
13. Timing belt 400 bugs.
14. Engine belt around 300 bugs
15. Wheel Cylinder price not known.

Total price was making the car into running codn was around 16-17k

After the Overhauling was completed it was now time for the major work to star of altering from Type 1 to Type 3. I visited few Maruthi dealers and enquired about the new parts. Before going into the job these were the rough sketch of the parts tht were required for conversion from Type 1 to Type 3.

1. Bonnet
2. Head lights
3. Front fenders
4. Bumper both
5. Boot
6. Tail lights
7. Indicator lens
8. Rear windshield glass
9. Dashboard and console
10. Lock set
11. Front Grill

I went on a visit to three or four Maruthi dealers and found out how much it cost to change the mentioned parts. I was amazed when those told roughly a estimate of 40k. I even had a idea of dropping the idea of Type 3 conversion then my brains struck an idea tht we are any ways going to paint the car entirely how abt buying the body parts from the Junkyard. The following night was sleepless thinking abt how am I going to restore her into a new shape.

Next day got up and left for Junkyard aka Pudupettai and went on search of the body parts. Some how I was able to find all the parts except dashboard. One guy gave me all the body parts which was taken from a 2003 800. Then my hunt was still in progress for finding the lighting equipment. I reached GP road and bought the Type 3 taillight and Front grill. Now rose confusion whether to buy Type 3 headlight or Type 2 headlight. Type 3 headlights were made of plastic and Type 2 was fully glass. Glass lights have more power than and durability than plastics. Finally managed to buy the glass Headlight(Type 2).

Body Parts Cost:

1. Bonnet – 1500 bugs
2. Head lights – 2000 bugs pair (Type 2 Lumax New)
3. Front fenders – 1000 bugs
4. Bumper both – 1200 bugs
5. Boot – 1100 bugs
6. Tail lights – 900 bugs pair (Type 3 Lumax New)
7. Indicator lens – 40 bugs (New)
8. Rear windshield glass – 650 bugs (Used)
9. Dashboard and console - NA
10. Lock set – 750 (New all locks)
11. Front Grill – 300 bugs (Type 3 New)
12. Headlight assembly Frame - Free(Type 3 Had one spare in the garage)

Total Cost excluding Labour for Body Parts 9500 bugs.

Next part of the journey was entire body shopping. All the Type 3 body parts were fitted and Tinkering Painting was done in a period of 2 weeks.

Tinkering – 4000 bugs
Paint – 6000 bugs (DUCO not DUPONT)
Seat Covers – 1500 bugs
Door pads, roof, side mirrors – 750 bugs
Battery – 1500 bugs.

So the total cost of rebuilding a M 800 from scratch to new (some what) was around 40k. Still tyres needed to be changed which I will do after 2 weeks I guess when I get my salary.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

Guys here are some pics of 1987 M'800

Attachments

Hi Bharat,

You have changed the look sof your 1987 model to that of models in 2000 rite?

They look really good!

Thread Starter #15

Yes satan i guess it looks like some what of Type 3 (2005 & above) except of the Headlight and the dashboard. I did not wanted to add latest headlamps because it is made up of plastics so i stuck with the glass one of 2000's.

I am currently in search of dash. I got one of but i did not get the console's. My next part of the upgradtion is addition of new tyres and A/c.

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom