Suzuki 800 SS80 Restoration

Thread Starter #1
Hey everyone, I recently got my dad's SS80 restored and added some new features to the car. I converted the steering wheel into a power steering, added central locking, installed a new AC and the changed the dashboad to a digital one. Now due to the fact that the car has got some new features specifically the digital dashboard, the electrician made a complete mess of the wiring. All the tools and equipment was provided to the electrician yet they failed to do the job right. All the motor markets in my area have electricians that work on rolling jobs, they have no time or patience to do the job correctly. This is why I have taken upon myself to finish this job neatly and properly. The problem I have is that all the lights on my car are connected to the negative terminal. I found this out when I asked the electrician to connect the high beam indicator wire from my dashboard to the high beam wire. He then told me that it was on negative, so instead of fixing all the wire that was on negative, he installed fresh cables and installed a relay to convert negative to positive. This fixed the problem for the high beam but I later found out that my dashboard sensors were not working properly.

To cut long story short I would like someone to please let me what wire is what colour on a maruti zen steering wheel. I know all the power steering cables but what I am interested in is to know which wire is which on the two coupler coming out of the steering wheel. I have attached the image of both the ignition switch and the steering column switch. It would be greatly appreciated if someone could tell me the function of each wire on both the couplers. Thanks

Zen Steering Column Switch.jpg

Zen Ignition Switch.jpg

Hi,
If your lights were connected to the negative terminal they would not work at all. So your "electrician" has fitted a relay to cure the non-existent fault and just created a new problem !!!
If you reverse negative and positive wires you will "kill" the digital display, take care with this part of the system. It is possible that the "electrician" may have already "fried" part of the digital display.
Before connecting to the power supply check everything, check it again and then check it a third time. You only get 1 chance !!!!

What you need is a "real" auto electrician not just somebody with a screw driver and a roll of insulating tape.

If you find someone to do the work correctly, check that all systems work before paying.
Should you choose to do the work yourself, get a colour coded wiring diagram and buy a simple AVO (amps/volts/ohms) meter to check voltages, polarity and continuity. A basic meter can cost less than 200 rupees. This will also let you work out which wires connect to each terminal in the connector block, just needs a bit of "trial and error" testing and some patience. Especially if you are fitting "non original" parts as wire colours will differ between models and makes of car.

Regards Neil I work in a UK vehicle repair garage.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
I was able to isolate the problem Neil. All good now and all my digital dials are working properly. Took my a while but got there in the end

Top Bottom