Superstitious Beliefs of People on Roads

The pooja of the new car itself is superstition at it's best. I find it so weird when seeing the pictures of new car poojas where the priest perform the rituals on the car as if it is an idol. The rituals are meant to worship the god with symbolic idols. Of course there is "vahana pooja" (vehicle pooja) in hindu practices, but that is actually worshiping the 'carriers' of God like Garuda, Nandi etc. not any human made vehicle.

When I dont like particular model car and wish it to be a sales dud it enjoys a heyday in sales.-Dezire,brio,i10,

when I tend to like and wish to buy certain car it becomes a sales dud.punto,linea tjet,Aria

When I am indifferent to certain car its launch get postponed indefinitely-tata safari, fiat 1.6 mjd etc

Nice interesting thread...
  1. Whenever I leave home for either interview or first day to my college or new job, Mom feeds me one sppon of Curd or something sweet.
  2. About crossing cats, I used to believe that when I was a kid. But now I dont care basically. When was kid my friend used to say, that when cat crosses your way , just spitt across the road and then you can go. Always felt that something fishy in this belief. ha ha [lol].
  3. Whenever going for long journey I pray to God Idol in my Car and starts with Devotional song. But I dont count this as superstition, may be it is.
  4. My wifey says, If you lizard at home touches you , then you need to take bath. And if you kill one then , you need to make Golden lizard and give away the same in some temple. Now this one is costly superstitous belief. [lol]

Now here goes the really good incident.When i was may 6-7 years old (in 1992), My family and dad's 2 friend went to Alibaug for overnight picnic in dad's friend's Maruti 800. While going to Alibaug our car crushed the snake on the road. And while coming back we met an big accident which might have cost our lifes. So after few years I was narrating the same whole incident to my MAMA (Mother's brother). And he comes up with the new superstition. Accident happened because we crushed snake in that car. We should have stopped there and don the Agni Sanskar of the snake. And after this I was unabelt stop my laugh.

The pooja of the new car itself is superstition at it's best. I find it so weird when seeing the pictures of new car poojas where the priest perform the rituals on the car as if it is an idol. The rituals are meant to worship the god with symbolic idols. Of course there is "vahana pooja" (vehicle pooja) in hindu practices, but that is actually worshiping the 'carriers' of God like Garuda, Nandi etc. not any human made vehicle.
When you say this, You forgot that when we buy new house also we perform Pooja and other rituals. This is part of our Hindu Culture, we may dont like all this Pooja's and Rituals, but these are being integral part of our culture since ages.

When I was in UK, Football WorldCup was going on in 2010. When England's match was going on, My lead denied to move from his desk or change his position until the match was over. Because he thought that might change star against the favour of English team. Now my Lead is a pure English man Born and Brought in Manchester in England. So please dont only blame Indians for superstition, It's all around the world. But it is more openly performed in India.

Last edited:
that is quite an interesting story,but some have stuck this superstition mainly towards Black colored cats,but cats do create alot of problem when running across a busy road
i had a two wheeler serve into my path cos of a cat almost ramming him & the cat.
On my recent trip, my cab driver while driving in the night suddenly stopped his car, I was like what happened, he said "billi ne raasta kaat liya" (Cat has crossed the road in front of the car) he stopped & let his friend who was behind him somewhere to cross us & then we moved on. As for cats crossing the road I don't go that way unless a vehicle passes me or I just take another road to go. I guess this is a mere superstition & doesn't hold good

Cat passing by,Inauspicious???

A point that i want to bring into notice,happened with me thrice.
Scenario 1:
I was travelling to my native near Goa by road,i overtook a 2 wheeler,and a cat from nowhere from started crossing the road.I was in 2 minds,whether to save that cat,or save the 2 wheeler guy(was along with a pillion) because of braking hard.
Another option was to dodge that cat,by risking our life,and decisions need to be taken in a split second,i tried to dodge that cat,but my car was totally off lane,just missed accident by few inches.

Scenario 2:
I was getting home from Dadar,and was midnight ,a Fortuner guy overtook me,and went ahead,i was exactly behind him.A cat passed crossed the road,that fortuner guy braked immediately,so hard,that i was unable to brake within that range,so i put my car in a narrow gap.Then do i realized that the cat was in safe range,and such hard braking by that fortuner guy was not required.
whats more?That guy didn't move forward,thus allowing me to go first ahead of me.

Scenario 3:
Another incident happened with me Yesterday midnight night,i was driving bike,parked my bike to buy some medicines.A guy with a pillion rider(an old aged),was coming from opposite direction,a cat passed by,that guy even though had a safe distance braked hard,that bike drifted off course,at a moment i thought "are Gaya gaya".Thank god he didn't fall off.
But that guy, even though Engine on condition,he was stable,didn't budged a little,waited for 2 mins allowed a vehicle to pass by.Then went off.

In India a cat crossing our path is considered inauspicious,but why not a dog,monkey,or any other animal is considered.That cat was on her way,she wanted to cross the path,may be for that animal its a routine job,she doesn't crosses knowing that something untoward must happened to those XYZ,does that animal know you,does she recognize you,or some one go and tell that animal..[frustration]

I am religious,and believe in god,and do not want hurt any body views about religion,but want to bring into you notice;That if we believe in something,why to hurt/injure the people who is innocent.Why not consider that a cat was on her way.Many accident may be happened due to animal crossing,but majority of them are because of wrong belief(cat crossing==>danger).
If Someone believes in this,it should be up to him,it shouldn't affect others.

Note: Sorry if someones feeling are hurt.Would not want to hurt any religious views.

It is more or like a practice than believing in anything.

We used to listen devotional songs in early morning rather than disco/peppy numbers. We feel fresh with that. It is not to get money/richer on same day.

When we go out in car 'early morning', we do the same. Instead of putting other songs, we start devotional and have a good feeling.

I have an Ganesha idol in my car. I pray God for making me to ride safe.

It is the thought which attracts the same.
Hope you might have seen 'The Secret' video or document. You will understand the power of +ve energy. If you think too much about debts, you will end up in more debts. (if you need, i can
send you the book. It is actually paid - so cant uploaded directly into forum).

The reason behind all these yantra's are nothing but a positive energy. When you buy a stone for 10,000rs, you think that the stone is powerful and you believe that you are going to get lots of positive things in your life. So, it actually brings because of your positive thoughts.

I heard about numbers that 13 (Even though it ads up to 4) is considered bad.

When something bad happens, you tend to think reversely. How did it cause. And, you finally blame the cat and dog. You may not be remembering cats which you crossed numerous times and did not have problems.

I just want to say - Drive Safe.
Dont brake so hard because of a cat & do not cause damage to others.

Last edited:
It is more or like a practice than believing in anything.

We used to listen devotional songs in early morning rather than disco/peppy numbers. We feel fresh with that. It is not to get money/richer on same day.

When we go out in car 'early morning', we do the same. Instead of putting other songs, we start devotional and have a good feeling.

I have an Ganesha idol in my car. I pray God for making me to ride safe.

It is the thought which attracts the same.
Hope you might have seen 'The Secret' video or document. You will understand the power of +ve energy. If you think too much about debts, you will end up in more debts. (if you need, i can
send you the book. It is actually paid - so cant uploaded directly into forum).

The reason behind all these yantra's are nothing but a positive energy. When you buy a stone for 10,000rs, you think that the stone is powerful and you believe that you are going to get lots of positive things in your life. So, it actually brings because of your positive thoughts.

I heard about numbers that 13 (Even though it ads up to 4) is considered bad.

When something bad happens, you tend to think reversely. How did it cause. And, you finally blame the cat and dog. You may not be remembering cats which you crossed numerous times and did not have problems.

I just want to say - Drive Safe.
Dont brake so hard because of a cat & do not cause damage to others.
You said exactly what i meant. Thats exactly what i want to convey,only message i want convey is live and let live.

Drive safe!![:)]

Meaningless superstitions you've come across...

Superstitions. They exist in every corner of the world. One of them is Friday the 13th, which is considered inauspicious or unlucky ( Not meaningless, every person can decide lucky/unlucky days ). Please share any such superstitions you've come across. Am keeping in mind that everyone has their own beliefs and we have no right to ridicule them, but some are plain stupid or might have been useful in olden times.

Take my dad, for example. He always drives the car an inch or two ahead before reversing first time in that day. When I was younger, I asked him why ([glasses]). He said his driving tutor said so.

Mom told me it's a superstition that one should always move forward first in the day. But years later I found out that it indeed has some scientific reasoning; that oil spreads all over the 'box and reverse gear is easier to engage when done so.

What car did my father learn driving on, I don't know. But it must've been old and without doing this, the reverse gear might not get engaged at all. I must say it's right to an extent even in modern day cars...

But then there are some silly ones too. I mean, leave that cat alone, will ya!
There might have been some logic, but is it worth it really. A cat crosses the road. After it does, the truck brakes suddenly ( Waiting for someone else to cross that line ). The car tailgating it goes under it. Driver and co-driver die. Just because of a superstition!

Others, will keep an idol of their favorite deity on the dashboard. Nothing wrong with that, except that they depend on that deity to save them and not on the seat belts that came as standard fitting on your car.

Hope this doesn't come as offensive to anyone's religious feelings. If it does, apologies. And I didn't mean to do it [:)]

Re: Meaningless superstitions you've come across...

Sometimes back I had came across a stretch of NH17 in Karnataka (Don't remember the exact area, some place near Hubli, Ankola) where some NP truck drivers warned us about the presence of a demigod. As per them SHE lives in a big trunked tree and at night she will jump right infront of your vehicle and you will lose control and hit some trees. To avoid such consequences people make some offering at her abode which falls some kilometers before this place. There are many such "Highway Myths" that exists even today.

Last edited:
Interesting thread!!
I do murmur the almighty while starting my journey on Car or boarding on airplane. we all do it at some point of time everyday and I don't think it is a superstition. I believe in no superstition but..
When I am going somewhere and a Black cat cross my way, in that scenario I strongly believe that.. "The black cat is also going somewhere" [lol]

Different ways of people believing into many rituals and superstitions.
Used to have a neighbour who has shifted to another appartment, everyday before starting his vehicle,and everytime before starting the vehicle, be it two wheeler or four he would go and touch every single vehicles he owns and is parked, like worship it, touch steering,body, wheels at times and then would start and move.
This is something i have seen very rarely with other people doing so thought to share it here.

everytime before starting the vehicle, be it two wheeler or four he would go and touch every single vehicles he owns and is parked, like worship it
A true petrol head he is [clap]!!. This may not be a superstition, may be he is doing it the way many others do with their pets saying "Baby don't worry, Papa will be back home early today, then we will go for a ride".

Last edited:
Already popular TV commercials from CEAT Tyres’ ad Campaign on various superstitions in India!.
If anyone sneezes while just about to leave to some place, it is considered as a bad omen. You are not supposed to continue immediately
but wait for some time and then proceed. This ad ends urging viewers to drive on with faith in Ceat Tyres, not such superstitions [:D].
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnnmFJJTJV8
This ad takes on the superstition nimbu-mirchi mala (Lemon-Green chilli) will ward off all ill luck and ensure safety of the vehicle on the go.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c12Ycm10RTo

Last edited:

Top Bottom