Suggestions Required for ICE with Front Compos in 17K Budget

Thread Starter #1
Hi
I wish to ICE a 2010 Zen Estillo in Delhi. My budget is 15-17K. The kind of music I listen to is mostly punjabi pop, bollywood songs and instrumentals. So clarity of highs is important with decent bass. I have a sony head unit in Maruti 800 with max vol of 35. I listen mostly on 25.
Because of the budget constraints I wish to go for a decent Head Unit and front components. To get the most out of my speakers I guess it is better to have an Amplifier. I dont think I'll go for a separate sub. So it become all the more important for me to select good comps. I have the following options for me
Option I: Head Unit + Front Components + Amplifier
Option II: Head Unit + Front Components + Powered Sub

A well known installer in Delhi suggested me the following
Front Components Rockford Fosgate Prime Series 40 W RMS 5.5K (Hertz ESK for 7.5K)
  • Kenwood 4 channel Amplifier 5.5K
  • Kenwood U449 Head Unit 5.5K
  • Bull Audio Power Kit 2.7K
  • MDF ring Rs. 150
  • Speaker Wire 1K
  • Total about Rs. 20K
  • He also suggested JBL X333 for 3.1K.

This brings the total cost to 17.5K.
My questions are as follows
  1. As you can see that Rockford comps can handle 40W well while the amp can provide more. There are many other components available with more wattage from JBL, Polk Audio, Morel Maximo, etc. So can you suggest any alternative to the Rockford's?
  2. Also can I do away with the amp altogether and go for components and a powered sub? Are there any good powered subs in the range of 7-8K? Found one powered sub here
  3. Since I'll be powering only my front components only can I go for a 2 channel amp instead of 4 ch?
  4. One shop in Lajpat nagar showed me a Pioneer Head unit without CD for 4K (similar to JBL X333). Any thoughts on that?
Thank you!

Re: Suggestions required for ICE with front compos in 15-17K range

I advice you to stick to what your installer has suggested. Maybe you can look at other comps like Polk Audio , Auditor or Helix.

Yes you can choose 2 channel amp since your going only for front comps.

Thread Starter #3

I advice you to stick to what your installer has suggested. Maybe you can look at other comps like Polk Audio , Auditor or Helix.

Yes you can choose 2 channel amp since your going only for front comps.
Yes I'm also finding more and more that the suggestions are right for me.
Any advice on the 2 channel amp under 5K? Any particular components which will produce nice lows?

Thanks!

Last edited:

I think JBL and Sony 2 channel amps are under 5k , i prefer JBL over Sony. As i said before try Polk Audio or Auditor.

Thread Starter #5

Hi Dhaya,
I took yesterday off fro my office and went for some on field research in Lajpat Nagar and other places I started with auditioning front + rear coaxial. I liked infinity over JBL coaxials as the former produced good balanced sound. The clarity without the amps was good and it improved with an amp.

Polk audio were too sharp..... the highs were hurting my ears even at mild volumes.
Then I moved over to JVC. I liked the sound quality of the JVC front+rears, I would say the set up was blanced and to my liking.
Then I heard Hertz Energy compos + Rockford Prime Sub in one of the owner's cars and the first thing which hit me was the mighty bass from the sub! It produced good tight thump even at 80% of the subwoofer level. The components were clear and without any distortion even at maximum volume. I had taken along few A. R. Rahman songs alongwith me. For the song "Nahin saamne Tu..." enjoyed the clarity of the vocals coming from the compos and the thud from the sub!
So I'm convinced that Head Unit + Amplifier + Components is the way to go.

The quotes I received are as follows
Hertz Energy Rs. 8500
Kenwood U449 Rs. 5000
Kenwood 846 Rs. 6000
Scoche Rs. 1800

Sum total 21K (Installation+other accessories all inclusive) after discounts
Hertz Dieci DSK165 was available for Rs. 5200.

My questions now are as follows
I got an option to choose from Hertz Energy and Rainbow Titan for Rs.8500, the dealer had only one Rainbow Titan left so was offering me Rs. 8500 instead of 9K. What is your opinion on the pricing of Hertz Energy/Rainbow?

How is the output of Dieci compared to Energy. The dealer told me there is not much and I can go for either. Is it worth Rs. 3300 more?

The power kit by Scoche is for Rs. 1800, is it good enough for my setup assuming I might add a sub later on or do I need a heavier kit?

Thanks for the help....

Buddy,

b/w hertz and titans I would suggest titans. If you like your highs to be shrill then go for hertz. Titans age better and sound damn sweet after the break-in. Alternatively you can look at Morel Maximos also, too good a driver at the price. Regarding the power kit I would suggest you to keep future upgrades in mind and get a descent power handling kit. For sub the RF prime is good I have it in my etios and it plays neat. It's not too boomy but the bass kicks are fast without any lag.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #8
Got the following install in my Zen.
Components - Rockford Fosgate Prime Series Rs. 5500
Kenwood U449 head unit - Rs. 5500
Kenwood M846 4 channel Amplifier - Rs. 5500
Power kit Rs. Rs. 3500

Total Rs. 20K

Got the install done at Driven in about 2 hours.
Auditioned components from Bull Audio, Hertz Energy (ESK165) and Rockford Fosgate (RF) Prime. Found Hertz and RF better than the Bull's. While Bull Audio and RS comps were of the same price, Hertz Energy ESK 165 were Rs 2000 more.

I have a pair of Sony coaxials driven by a sony head unit without amplifier in my old Maruti 800.

My new setup is much better in terms of clarity at low/high volumes. My headunit has its maximum volume at 35 points and believe me even at that level music remains clear and pleasing to the ears. The components get all the power they need and they handle that well. Even at max volume bassy songs get reproduced nice. The mid range driver plays them well. To get better base one has to add a dedicated sub-woofer.
The tweeters are also great producing high frequencies. The reproduction is not too good for few songs like Nahi Saamne Tu - Taal, but mostly the sound is sweet. For a price of Rs. 5.5K these speakers are highly recommended.

Goto driven if you do not have much knowledge about Car AV hardware but want good sound. You are sure to get genuine advice. They are a bit pricey and hard to bargain but its a nice experience meeting with them. Highly recommended once again.

Next upgrade, 1) RF prime Sub 2) Speakers for the rear for that surround effect :)

When I started I thought I could get my car ICEed in 12K, stretched it to 15K, ended up paying 20K. Will add a sub and rear speakers, maybe damping front doors at it will take it beyond 30K.......[embarass]

Thanks!

Top Bottom