Suggestions Needed - i20 Diesel vs VW Polo Diesel

Talk of VW polo and the three cylinder thingy doesn't come along- impossible.

To be frank, this three word phrase 'Three Cylinder Engine' ruins my day. Not because it sounds derogatory to me as I own a three cylinder engine, but because quoting it out rightly to help someone reject VW polo ticks me off.

We have a few polo owners on forum, why haven't I heard this phrase from them? Why is it only those who advise mention it?

I admit, the noise is more, the clutter shows sometimes. But to be honest, the ride negates any difference between a three cylinder engine (let me call it TCE) and four cylinder one. Its been couple of months/6k Kms of ownership and I have never looked back or reassessed my decision.

I am in noway selling a polo, or helping the OP reject i20. He has chosen two brilliant cars. Moreover, a close friend of mine recently chose diesel i20 over diesel polo and I am with him for decision. And I would be equally happy if OP chooses any of the two, as long as he is satisfied. But I honestly believe that this TCE is a myth, and I don't want rajscorpion to be misled.

Coming back to suggestions- rajscorpio, if you can manage to take test drive of both cars on same day back to back, nothing would be more appropriate. For comparison on features, specs etc., internet is enough to inform you.

I agree with you. While there may be no real discernible difference between a 3 and a 4 cylinder engine in real world driving scenario (apart from difference in refinement and top end), I would always maintain that if rival manufacturers can give a proper 4 cylinder engine that could better the Polo's 1.2 in acceleration, top speed and fuel efficiency and all this while being lesser on maintenance costs, why should one pay more for being shortchanged?

Thread Starter #17
Alright. But, remember Fiat may improve A.S.S. this year.See, don't simply think 3-pots are bad compared to 4-pots. In this scenario, polo is noisy. But, dunno about the motor in i20 as i haven't driven one. From what i have heard, it has turbo-lag issues. Polo lacks features but has better ride and handling compared to i20. If you're driving at higher speeds, that's what you need more than anything. Btw, how many people will be travelling ? If its 2, then no space problems with Polo. I would say take a TD again of i20 and do a high speed run and opt for the one you like. [:)]
I do agree that 3-pots are bad compare to 4-pots. But, there was visible noise difference between i20 and Polo. As you also observed Polo does great at high speeds and you don't get that confidence in i20 over 120kmph. So, now the confusion is whether I always require to be on high speeds or comfort in city drive. [:)].

I agree with you. While there may be no real discernible difference between a 3 and a 4 cylinder engine in real world driving scenario (apart from difference in refinement and top end), I would always maintain that if rival manufacturers can give a proper 4 cylinder engine that could better the Polo's 1.2 in acceleration, top speed and fuel efficiency and all this while being lesser on maintenance costs, why should one pay more for being shortchanged?
Which rival manufacturer are you talking about which has better- acceleration, top speed, fuel efficiency, lesser maintenance cost- all in one.

Acceleration: may be swift is best, i10, ritz etc also may be counted.
top speed: punto is best
fuel efficiency: polo, swift, punto have reported decent FEs.
lesser maintenance cost: of course marutis and hyundais

So, if I understand there is no one car that fits in all the criteria that you have mentioned. There has to be compromise on some criteria which can be seen in other manufacturers too.

Or I may be missing something due to my limited knowledge on auto industry. Can you give me a name of a single manufacturer with a four cylinder and fitting the criteria you mentioned?

I do agree that 3-pots are bad compare to 4-pots. But, there was visible noise difference between i20 and Polo. As you also observed Polo does great at high speeds and you don't get that confidence in i20 over 120kmph. So, now the confusion is whether I always require to be on high speeds or comfort in city drive. [:)].
Your first line seems to be a typo.
Have a look at ownership review of polo diesel owners to see how does it perform in cities.

If you are looking for a car with a long list of features and a bit muscular type styling car the Hyundai i20 is the car for you. I have not either driven or travelled in an i20. So I am not the person to judge the ride quality , handling and all

If you want a car that is built tough VW Polo is the best choice. Even the feature less Trendline variant looks and feels top notch when we are inside the cabin. I feel the ride quality to be the best.
The TDI engine in the Polo is sluggish when driven in bumber to bumber traffic but the high speed stability and the confidence the solid tank like car gives is unparalleled. Even when we are cruising at 80km/hr + speeds cabin remains rock solid and the traveller doesn't feel the speed
As I have said earlier I suggest you to try Ford Figo Titanium which will offer you an overall good package.

Decide on that. Regarding comfort too, Polo is way more comfortable than i20. Do a TD and finalize.During TD,Drive through the bad roads in your city and then you will find the one that suits you well. [:)].

Thread Starter #21
After spending a lot of confused day & nights over which would be my new car, I have come to a conclusion. As per suggestions from fellow members, I looked at other cars also and have not restricted to only i20 and Polo. Here are the other cars that I considered and rejected also.

1. Ford Figo - Very good car and it is cheaper than i20/Polo. However, the model looks out-dated and it didn't appeal me as well as my wife.

2. Indica Vista - Again the same Tata product except that the engine seems to be smooth. However, when coming to the look and feel part, it is not really looking modern when compare to Polo/i20.

3. Swift - Wife rejected this car as every other car that you see on the road is Swift. Hence, did not even go for test drive.

4. Punto - Very good car. But, the rear seat is not much comfortable. Also, I don't want to deal with TATA guys for A.S.S.

These are purely my personal opinion and not to hurt anyone who is having Tatas/Fiats/Fords/Swifts...

As Polo seems to be really good as a driver's car and it does pretty well on the highways. However, as a whole package, my heart felt that i20 scores more even though has its own issues to be sorted out :) and finally booked i20 CRDI Magna Sleek Silver.

I would like to thank all of you for providing me the suggestions and helped me to finazlie a car.

I wont rate Polo as a good driver's car, not after driving the Punto. The Polo's steering feedback is not as good as the Punto. Also, the ride quality, though better than the i20, is again not as good as the Punto. Handling - again better than the i20 but not as good as the Punto.

But overall, considering your requirements, I would still recommend you the i20 because its an all rounder. Polo lacks the space of the i20, it lacks the performance of the i20 and even the features from the i20. The i20 will also be cheaper to maintain in the long run.

Moreover, I have no qualms about the Polo having a 3 cylinder engine but the engine is really noisy. BUT, for those kind of specifications, it should have been way cheaper. Which it is not. So the Polo is not exactly value for money IMHO.

Choosing a car these days is very hard like phones, one better than the other. Anyways, its good to hear that you have opted for the one which you and your family liked. Its that what matters. Whatever others say, always go with your choice. Anyways, congrats. Do post an ownership review once you get her, as there isnt any new i20 threads here ! [:)]

Top Bottom