Suggestions for an Economical Car for a Student

I have checked with Maruti True Value. the Altos that I am getting for 1.5 are mostly 2004 or older models and not Lxi. There are a few Maruti 800 but they have run for more than 70000+ km.
1.5 is decent if not good, but try the LXI's model.No matter how much the 800 has been driven, The value would be good even after you resell it.

70000 km is not so bad for a Maruti 800.
Its engine is really good and you can go much beyond 1 lac km without troubles.
If you get an M800 in a fairly good condition, then thats a far better and cheaper option for your stated purpose.
+1, This is the point i tried to type

Yes, dont go for the 800, It is a Non-Power steering vehicle, will be difficult to maneuver in traffic. Do check other Altos with some aftermarket dealers or
You can check in Carwale Car valuation, by filling in the necessary details and it will show you the justified price according to the condition-
It's always better to learn without PS, you will gain confidence,

But without a Power Steering, wont it be trouble some to take sharp turns or city driving be difficult for a New rider?
My dad also learnt driving on our 800 and WagonR (without Power Steering) and still has the habit of excessive turning of the steering which is quite scary. However, i learnt on te Skoda Octavia Mpi and now driving Alto Lxi(with PS). He drives the city and because of his habit of turning the steering excessively, he has crashed or bumped the cars in many places. Recently he had broken the tail ligt (left) and the City Badge also with a dent on the dickey!
This phenomenon mainly depends on the mind, There is nothing wrong in going for a PSed version.

Thread Starter #32
If it is not problematic without a power steering, then I don't mind buying 800. In any case that will cost me less and I am not very keen on spending much on the car which I will use to learn driving. I will be driving mostly within the city, and on very rare occasions may be outside the city so it should not be a problem.

If it is not problematic without a power steering, then I don't mind buying 800. In any case that will cost me less and I am not very keen on spending much on the car which I will use to learn driving. I will be driving mostly within the city, and on very rare occasions may be outside the city so it should not be a problem.
Then its fine you go with 800, Learn driving with it and keep it for a year or two then go ahead with the purchase of a new desired car. Will be a good strategy IMO. Try the models starting from 2000, they are best.

I would say choose between Alto K-10 and Eon D-lite based on your budget, my vote is for Eon which will be a much better choice considering it's newly launched and young.

I would say choose between Alto K-10 and Eon D-lite based on your budget, my vote is for Eon which will be a much better choice considering it's newly launched and young.
The given budget is around 2 lakhs, and the car is needed for learning purposes too, so its better to learn in an used car which is lesser in maintenance and then sell it off(Depreciation % is less in used a car than the new one) buy the car which they actually need

350Z

Core Team
i have driven M800 you won't feel that you require power steering
Yes. That is true. Maruti 800 has quite direct steering despite of being non-powered. Just consider it as another benefit while learning – You will not feel much difficulty with non-power steering car in future if you learn driving on one.

Then it should be ok. I saw one for 1.7 2009 model.
Please let us know the odometer reading and year of manufacture. Some pictures will be a bonus for us to be able to guide you. Also refer to this thread for more: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #40
There is a Maruti 800, 2009 standard a/c for 1.68, single owner, 40,000+ driven. It is from Maruti True Value. All service records etc. are available. Is it a good buy? Pictures are not yet available. I am going to see it tomorrow.

They also have a 2006 for 1.6, 40,000+ driven, 2 owners. One 2004 Alto Lx is available, for 1.75, 50,000+ on odometer.

800 is the best bet as far as 2nd hand car goes.But most economical car at the moment in India is Nano as it gives ARAI approved mileage of 25+ kmpl.And one can get Nano base model at around 1.50 lakh with discounts.

But as far as 2nd hand car goes no beating Maruti 800---the original peoples car.Cheers and best luck on the buy.

There is a Maruti 800, 2009 standard a/c for 1.68, single owner, 40,000+ driven. It is from Maruti True Value. All service records etc. are available. Is it a good buy? Pictures are not yet available. I am going to see it tomorrow.
This deal is good and try to negotiate upto 1.40 lakhs, 1.50 will also get value.
Add some pictures so that we can see if the car is genuine or not.

Nano as it gives ARAI approved mileage of 25+ kmpl.And one can get Nano base model at around 1.50 lakh with discounts.
Yes that's true. But not recommended for learners, you know Tata isn't like Maruti in our city.

350Z

Core Team
I find it a little pricey. I think Bangalore has relatively higher car prices but still negotiate by asking for the lowest price and settle the deal for somewhere around Rs.1.4 to 1.5 Lakhs. Also don’t rely on their so-called quality checkups. Take someone who knows driving well and can test the car on different speeds and terrains.

PS: If possible, upload some images too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #45
Thanks everybody. Even after lot of haggling they didn't reduce the price so I got it for 1.67. Getting delivery next week. I will upload the pics once I get it. Now I need to learn car maintenance.

Top Bottom