Suggestions for an Economical Car for a Student

350Z

Core Team
Hi
What about a used Reva? I think electric car is more economical and it's fully loaded with features.
Pre-owned Reva may not be easy to find. Moreover, it’s not the most practical car for a learner. No actual functions like an everyday car (Clutch / Gear etc).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Since your a student i dont think Nano would do well among a college parking lot,look at a "used Hyundia Santro" like a 2007 or below among the other choices Alto,Zen, Chevy Spark, just take a knowledgeable friend along while choosing the car or negotiating the price.

lxi.

Suspended
Go for a Santro as it will be ok for a Newbie rides who needs a compact, easy to drive car, So, i think that the Alto is more Better!

See in the Market if you find a Santro in a good condition within 2.5-2.6 L, then it makes some sense!

Thread Starter #22
Thanks all. Reva is way too expensive for its size also it does not give the taste of a real car and with used Reva I will probably have to get new batteries unless the seller has already replaced them. Further, I wont get any authorised dealer for Reva, buying from individual would mean no guarantee or free service. I have decided to go for an used Alto.No point in investing too much in the car which I will use to learn driving. I am not good with the clutch/break co-ordination so might damage them. Its been only three hours of practice and my driving instructor is scolding me a lot [frustration]

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #24
I have checked with Maruti True Value. the Altos that I am getting for 1.5 are mostly 2004 or older models and not Lxi. There are a few Maruti 800 but they have run for more than 70000+ km.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have checked with Maruti True Value .. the Altos that I am getting for 1.5 are mostly 2004 or older models and not Lxi ... There are a few Maruti 800 but they have run for more than 70000+ km.
70000 km is not so bad for a Maruti 800.
Its engine is really good and you can go much beyond 1 lac km without troubles.
If you get an M800 in a fairly good condition, then thats a far better and cheaper option for your stated purpose.

Thread Starter #26
Initially I had thought of 800 but since it has no power steering I decided to go for Alto. I wish to get some thing around 50000 kms.

lxi.

Suspended
Yes, dont go for the 800, It is a Non-Power steering vehicle, will be difficult to maneuver in traffic. Do check other Altos with some aftermarket dealers or
You can check in Carwale Car valuation, by filling in the necessary details and it will show you the justified price according to the condition-
Heres the link-
Check value of your car for FREE - CarWale

Just my 2 cents:

Though the 800 does not have power steering, I still firmly believe that it is better and easier to drive this car in the city than the Alto because of it's thin A/B/C pillars that afford fantastic outside visibility (best among all cars in India). I have never missed a power steering in my 800 (been in the family for 18 years and still going strong after 1.6 lakh kms) chiefly because of the fact that the 800's tiny 12 inch wheels dispense the need of any strenuous effort while turning the steering wheel even at parking speeds. For a new driver who is understandably apprehensive about driving a car in a crowded city, good outside visibility goes a long way in calming his/her nerves while taking the car out on his/her own. Also, an 800 never feels short of power in the city unless fully loaded or when the AC is switched on. The 800 also has fantastic low end torque (better than the Alto = no clutch slippage) which is something of a rarity in all petrol engined cars today.

Though there is no doubt that the Alto is a generation ahead from the 800 in all aspects of car making and is therefore a better car than the 800 but some sterling benefits (still) afforded by the 800 like outside visibility, excellent low end torque, sterling fuel efficiency, peanuts maintenance, etc can still not be disregarded for a first time car buyer on a tight budget.

lxi.

Suspended
But without a Power Steering, wont it be trouble some to take sharp turns or city driving be difficult for a New rider?
My dad also learnt driving on our 800 and WagonR (without Power Steering) and still has the habit of excessive turning of the steering which is quite scary. However, i learnt on te Skoda Octavia Mpi and now driving Alto Lxi(with PS). He drives the city and because of his habit of turning the steering excessively, he has crashed or bumped the cars in many places. Recently he had broken the tail ligt (left) and the City Badge also with a dent on the dickey!

Just my 2 cents:

Though the 800 does not have power steering, I still firmly believe that it is better and easier to drive this car in the city than the Alto because of it's thin A/B/C pillars that afford fantastic outside visibility (best among all cars in India). I have never missed a power steering in my 800 (been in the family for 18 years and still going strong after 1.6 lakh kms) chiefly because of the fact that the 800's tiny 12 inch wheels dispense the need of any strenuous effort while turning the steering wheel even at parking speeds. For a new driver who is understandably apprehensive about driving a car in a crowded city, good outside visibility goes a long way in calming his/her nerves while taking the car out on his/her own. Also, an 800 never feels short of power in the city unless fully loaded or when the AC is switched on. The 800 also has fantastic low end torque (better than the Alto = no clutch slippage) which is something of a rarity in all petrol engined cars today.

Though there is no doubt that the Alto is a generation ahead from the 800 in all aspects of car making and is therefore a better car than the 800 but some sterling benefits (still) afforded by the 800 like outside visibility, excellent low end torque, sterling fuel efficiency, peanuts maintenance, etc can still not be disregarded for a first time car buyer on a tight budget.
completely agree with you

No Santro fans here? You can test drive a Santro too. Is used Santro costlier than alto?

Drive Safe!
with santro cost is around 600 per month maintenance from outside .

Top Bottom