Suggestions for an Economical Car for a Student

Thread Starter #1
Hello,

I am a student in requirement of a vehicle but I have no income and dependent on my parents. Since I have no experience whatsoever with two-wheelers, I need to go for a four-wheeler. I am learning to drive and know very little about automobiles and their maintenance. I wanted something which would be very economical, fuel-efficient and require low maintenance. Should I go for a Maruti 800 or an Alto?

350Z

Core Team
Welcome to The Automotive India, Brutus. Are you looking for a new car or used? Maruti is not offering 800 in BS-4 compliant cities anymore. Going for Alto definitely makes some sense. Hyundai Eon is another worthwhile option but a little costlier.

Drive Safe,
350Z

test drive the Nano 2012, Alto K10(great fun to drive), Eon and then make up your mind as to what suits your needs.

Brutus, welcome to TAI !

So you're confused about which car to buy. Et tu, Brutus? :biggrin:

I would have suggested a good old Maruti 800 but since it's not available in Bangalore, just blindfold yourself and buy an Alto. Not considering the Nano and the 800, the Alto is the cheapest car to buy, maintain and run. Go for it.

lxi.

Suspended
Brutus welcome to TAI!

I will suggest youthe alto lxi (i also have one) as it is a nicee compact city car and has a Power Steering (which will be helpful for newbie drivers) or you can go for the Eon Dlite or K10 LXI if you can stretch your budget a little. Else, alto lxi will not be heavy on your pocket, has nice A.S.S. with wide dealerships in india and has very low maintanence costs and has a decent mileage( I am getting 17-18kmpl on city+highway drives) also. Go for that one (either used or new).
Good Luck

Thread Starter #9
Thanks everybody. I was thinking of an used Alto within 2 L. I am using an Alto for learning. I am a female so power steering will be helpful. Being a new driver there is chance that I might damage the car. If I go for a new one it will be more heavy on pocket.

Last edited:
You can get a good used Alto 2005/06 model in 1.5/1.6 L OR you can also get a good Zen 2005/2006 upto 2L , Look For Lxi model.
Check at local Maruti True value or Mahindra True-choice shops.Or even online.

Brutus Welcome to TAI,

So you need a four wheeler and you say you are new to the driving, its better to find an Alto which ranges from 2 - 2.50 lakhs and be sure to consider LXI model Has a Power steering.

Try in the True Value of Maruti Dealers near your home they will give you 1 year of Warranty and 3 free services.

Sorry for OT[:D]
I would say pick the Hyundai EON D-Lite+. Ad says its 2.98 Lacs ex-showroom.
Eon D-Lite+ is VFM than Alto; it is 3.65 lakhs OTR in Bangalore

350Z

Core Team
Thanks everybody. I was thinking of an used Alto within 2 L. I am using an Alto for learning. I am a female so power steering will be helpful. Being a new driver there is chance that I might damage the car. If I go for a new one it will be more heavy on pocket.
Alto fits perfectly well in that case. It’s inexpensive to maintain and good from a learner’s point of view. You can find decent examples in that budget. Consider a model which is nearly new and done fewer kilometres (Less than 35,000 Kms). This thread would be helpful while inspecting one: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...pecting-second-hand-car-exhaustive-guide.html

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom