Suggestion Required for New SUV: Budget Rs.14.5 Lakh (Bought XUV 5OO W8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #46
re: Suggestions Needed for a New Car: Budget Rs.8 -14.5 Lakhs

The ban will be lifted soon.
Also your car will be driven in UP,so no issues.People are driving here with darkest tints and no one is stopping them.
I know buddy but i would rather wait for the ban to be lifted before putting getting my windows tinted. And the car will probably make 1 or 2 trips to Delhi/Haryana every month. And that might be big problem. And secondly my dad won't allow that anyways until the ban is lifted.

Thread Starter #47
re: Suggestions Needed for a New Car: Budget Rs.8 -14.5 Lakhs

Alright guys it’s high time I revive this thread. It’s been almost 3 months since I updated this thread. And a lot has changed in these 3 months including the requirements and the budget as well, which is a good news though.

Well for some personal reasons our plan for buying a new car was postponed for good 3 months. Which according to me was a good thing as they say “Whatever happens, it happens for good”.

Earlier we had booked the Verna 1.6 CRDI SX but then after some discussions and other priorities at that time we cancelled the booking and got a full return.

So moving ahead with the story earlier we were looking for a sedan with a budget of 8-11 lacs but now the budget has been increased upto 14 -14.5 lac OTR and we have more options to look for, RIGHT?

But No this budget was increased so that we can get a SUV. Reason for buying a SUV was basically SPACE. Since we have lot of family members coming from US now and then (except me[roll]) followed by big suitcases and other stuff. So if we go with sedan than after putting all the stuff in the boot and with 5 people on board, definitely the GC reduces to a good extent.

Another reason was that, if needed you can very well accommodate 7-8 people in a SUV and the advantage of high GC is another blessing with the SUV’s and obviously the road presence and comfort.

Our requirements;
ABS
EBD
Disc Brakes
7 Seater
Spacious
Hill hold and hill descent (good to have, but not requied)
Comfort
Airbags
Alloys
Leather seats
Parking guidance

Basically these were the main reqs.

Thread Starter #48
Re: Suggestions required for new SUV: Budget Rs. 8-14.5 Lakhs

SUV’s that fall under this range are:

Tata Safari Storme
XUV 500
Renault Duster
Toyota Innova
Tata Aria
Mahindra Scorpio

And the ones which are in the race as of now are Storme and XUV 500 only.

Now the reason why others were not considered or not in the list now.
Renault Duster: Simply because no one in the family liked the looks of Duster, though it’s a good SUV and VFM vehicle but went out of the list as soon as they heard about it.

Toyota Innova: Well that’s not a SUV, it’s a MPV, so goes out of the list. But definitely a great car.

Tata Aria: Again a nice car but looks like a MPV rather than a SUV and somehow my mom did not like the front of the car. But it was the third contender in the list for almost couple of weeks. Dad did drive one of his friends Aria for a good 160 kms and liked the ride quality and comfort that this car provides. But went off the list since the Prestige variant was over the budget.

Mahindra Scorpio: Proven SUV but it was not considered since no one in my family is a great fan of Scorpio. They made a trip from Delhi to Dehradun in Scorpio once and nobody after that day liked the car. Also the second reason was that the car is now dated, so no point in putting 14 lac on a dated vehicle when you have other and better options available. (No offense to Scorpio Owners[cheers], personal preferences and experience)

Now the big fight is between the Storme and the XUV 500. The models that we are considering are the VX 4x2 for Storme and W8 for the XUV 500. My vote: definitely it has to be Storme for me but my mom is inclined more towards the XUV 500 and my dad’s decision is still pending. Now my decision does not count a lot since my parents will be driving the car more than me. And it’s a gift from me to my parents. So I don’t want to impose my choice on them, so waiting for their decision. I am fine with Storme or XUV 500 as both are really nice SUV’s. Both of them have their own USP, advantages and disadvantages.

Storme: My dad took a TD of Storme and was impressed by the way it handles and the comfort it provides. It was a short TD of around 8-10 kms. He drove the VX 4x2 version. According to him the pickup is good as compared to the older Safari and the interiors do give a premium feel but was disappointed from the features stand point and didn’t like the single HU as according to him it looks bit odd with overall interiors. Besides these two things he was very impressed with the SUV when it comes to torque, negligible turbo lag, road presence, paint quality, comfort, space, brakes and especially the Turning Radius. Also he liked the way TATA has updated the rear ac vents unlike the previous ones which use to look as if they are out of shape or some after-market product.

SUV’s that fall under this range are:

Tata Safari Storme
XUV 500
Renault Duster
Toyota Innova
Tata Aria
Mahindra Scorpio

And the ones which are in the race as of now are Storme and XUV 500 only.

Now the reason why others were not considered or not in the list now.
Renault Duster: Simply because no one in the family liked the looks of Duster, though it’s a good SUV and VFM vehicle but went out of the list as soon as they heard about it.

Toyota Innova: Well that’s not a SUV, it’s a MPV, so goes out of the list. But definitely a great car.

Tata Aria: Again a nice car but looks like a MPV rather than a SUV and somehow my mom did not like the front of the car. But it was the third contender in the list for almost couple of weeks. Dad did drive one of his friends Aria for a good 160 kms and liked the ride quality and comfort that this car provides. But went off the list since the Prestige variant was over the budget.

Mahindra Scorpio: Proven SUV but it was not considered since no one in my family is a great fan of Scorpio. They made a trip from Delhi to Dehradun in Scorpio once and nobody after that day liked the car. Also the second reason was that the car is now dated, so no point in putting 14 lac on a dated vehicle when you have other and better options available. (No offense to Scorpio Owners[cheers], personal preferences and experience)

Now the big fight is between the Storme and the XUV 500. The models that we are considering are the VX 4x2 for Storme and W8 for the XUV 500. My vote: definitely it has to be Storme for me but my mom is inclined more towards the XUV 500 and my dad’s decision is still pending. Now my decision does not count a lot since my parents will be driving the car more than me. And it’s a gift from me to my parents. So I don’t want to impose my choice on them, so waiting for their decision. I am fine with Storme or XUV 500 as both are really nice SUV’s. Both of them have their own USP, advantages and disadvantages.

Storme: My dad took a TD of Storme and was impressed by the way it handles and the comfort it provides. It was a short TD of around 8-10 kms. He drove the VX 4x2 version. According to him the pickup is good as compared to the older Safari and the interiors do give a premium feel but was disappointed from the features stand point and didn’t like the single HU as according to him it looks bit odd with overall interiors. Besides these two things he was very impressed with the SUV when it comes to torque, negligible turbo lag, road presence, paint quality, comfort, space, brakes and especially the Turning Radius. Also he liked the way TATA has updated the rear ac vents unlike the previous ones which use to look as if they are out of shape or some after-market product.
This is going to be quite interesting shopping [evil].

On serious note features wise though storme has what it is required , it falls short on gizmos if your family is into it .

So in the end whatever you chosse will be a great choice
Xuv- great features for the price you will pay .true vfm option , although not serious but initial niggles still there .

Storme - excellent ride quality , space , comfort .less electronics so less chances of failures . Need to check if there are any niggles or not

Last edited:
Thread Starter #50

I know man it's turning out to be really interesting for me as well, since my parents decision is pending as in which ONE??

I am so curious to know which one they choose!

So in the end whatever you chosse will be a great choice
Xuv- great features for the price you will pay .true vfm option , although not serious but initial niggles still there .

Storme - excellent ride quality , space , comfort .less electronics so less chances of failures . Need to check if there are any niggles or not
+ 100 to that.

That's why I am ok with either of them but yes I would like them to Vote for Storme. And if not then I'll have to wait 1-2 years more for that:-) but it will come one day[:)]

Last edited:
Re: Suggestions Needed for a New Car: Budget Rs.8 -14.5 Lakhs

Our requirements;
  • ABS: Both have..but yes, comparatively Storme can be better here, I am yet to check the XUV's new brake upgrade though.
  • EBD: Both have, XUV has an advantage of ESP too.
  • Disc Brakes: Both have..
  • 7 Seater: XUV is having seven seats, but I won't speak against Storme because now I am scared.
  • Spacious: Storme, thanks to long wheelbase. But yes, removal of boot from XUV has given it a legroom higher than even Aria..don't believe? See it yourself.
  • Hill hold and hill descent (good to have, but not requied): XUV has it and is very useful while driving in hills of Uttarakhand. If your family loves hilly trips then it's good to have it, it takes away a lot of pain.
  • Comfort: Subjective it is, XUV has better contoured seats and Strme has better cushioned...it's upon you.
  • Airbags: XUV W8 has 6 and Storme has 2.
  • Alloys: Both have.
  • Leather seats: Both have.
  • Parking guidance: Safari has camera and XUV has sensors. No issues, both are lame if the driver isn't trained in parking using camera/sensors + mirrors or "mundi ghuma ke".
Basically these were the main reqs.
Above mentioned are my opinions, and I have tried my best to be unbiased.
Note: Accept or reject anyone, I don't have anything to do with it but please don't pull or try to pull me in any XUV vs Storme discussion.[:)]

Last edited:
Re: Suggestions Required for New SUV: Budget Rs.8 - 14.5 Lakh

Storme and xuv both have sensors and no camera .

Thread Starter #53

Above mentioned are my opinions, and I have tried my best to be unbiased.
Note: Accept or reject anyone, I don't have anything to do with it but please don't pull or try to pull me in any XUV vs Storme discussion.[:)]
Thanks for your inputs buddy and yes those are very valid points.

Both these SUV's are great and what matters is which one clicks the most to your requirements and heart. Simple as that. So there is no comparison between them.

Storme and xuv both have sensors and no camera .
Yes that's true. Both of them come with the sensors and what i know is that you can get the rear camera installed for around 3500 in the XUV. Don't know about the Storme.

@Singh

Very interesting changes took place in thread[:)] and finally you got stuck between XUV and Storm.

To me, to be frank both are good, I do not have an experience of driving the XUV, which I plan to do very shortly.

My TD of Storm is already posted in the other thread.

To me Storm looks best for your father, which really gives a rich apart from other aspects and my gut feeling is that you will go with it[:)] either black or new bronze

Thread Starter #55

@Singh

Very interesting changes took place in thread[:)] and finally you got stuck between XUV and Storm.

To me, to be frank both are good, I do not have an experience of driving the XUV, which I plan to do very shortly.

My TD of Storm is already posted in the other thread.

To me Storm looks best for your father, which really gives a rich apart from other aspects and my gut feeling is that you will go with it[:)] either black or new bronze
Yes sir a lot of changes have taken place in this thread.

And the thing is i am not stuck anywhere but it's my parents who are in that situation. I am down for Storme and for me it was always Safari and now it's the Storme. But it looks like XUV will take the game.
And the reason behind that is if it was entirely my decision than i would have gone with my heart whereas my parents will most probably go by mind looking the VFM factor.

In my case heart would have won over mind whereas in my parents case it's kinda vice-versa.

Thread Starter #56

Alright guys a quick and good update. Our search for a new car has ended today, though it took a a long time and after a lot of changes in budget and our requirement finally the search is over.

It's the XUV 5OO, W8 model and i am happy to tell you guys that we took the delivery as well today[:)].

Alright guys a quick and good update. Our search for a new car has ended today, though it took a a long time and after a lot of changes in budget and our requirement finally the search is over.

It's the XUV 5OO, W8 model and i am happy to tell you guys that we took the delivery as well today[:)].
hmm, congratulations Singh !![cry]

Re: Suggestion Required for New SUV: Budget Rs.8-14.5 Lakh(Bought XUV 5OO W8)

@Singh:
Congoz, XUV is really one gem of a car and with a lot of improvements having done by Mahindra, now it's even better than before.

Thread Starter #59

hmm, congratulations Singh !![cry]
Thanks Gurrala Sir and i know why this [cry]. Even i had the same feeling but my parents liked XUV more then the Storme on few points and according to them it is more VFM. So they went ahead with it.

@Singh:
Congoz, XUV is really one gem of a car and with a lot of improvements having done by Mahindra, now it's even better than before.
Thanks buddy.

Yes i have been reading a lot about XUV and looks like they have resolved the PS, disc brake and other few niggles as well. Rest the true colors will be out slowly slowly.

Thanks Gurrala Sir and i know why this [cry]. Even i had the same feeling but my parents liked XUV more then the Storme on few points and according to them it is more VFM. So they went ahead with it.

Thanks buddy.

Yes i have been reading a lot about XUV and looks like they have resolved the PS, disc brake and other few niggles as well. Rest the true colors will be out slowly slowly.
So Singh Saab finally it comes right ? [clap]] very happy for you need pics a.s.a.p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom