Suggest Me a Digital Camera Upto Rs.10-12K

Suvo just said it. Go with what he said :)

and ya that Olympus is under rated but they are actually good.
I bought a SP600z for my mate 2 years ago it was a nice deal.
Let me show ya a shot with that.

Attachments

Suvo just said it. Go with what he said :)

and ya that Olympus is under rated but they are actually good.
I bought a SP600z for my mate 2 years ago it was a nice deal.
Let me show ya a shot with that.
The example picture which codename has shared is a good example. If you would have taken this picture with some cheapo high megapixel only digital camera, the sky portion would have come flat with just light blue color, but here you can see some minute details of the cloud even if the picture is scaled down in size and MP. Thats THE sign of a good digital camera and not really by high megapixel and large file size.. the detail retention is extremely important and that is what is my priority when deciding a camera.

The example picture which codename has shared is a good example. If you would have taken this picture with some cheapo high megapixel only digital camera, the sky portion would have come flat with just light blue color, but here you can see some minute details of the cloud even if the picture is scaled down in size and MP. Thats THE sign of a good digital camera and not really by high megapixel and large file size.. the detail retention is extremely important and that is what is my priority when deciding a camera.
Yup your right

You know people these days specially novice/noobs they spend about 2-300 dollars just to get MORE Megapixels but they don't really know what that means. More the better ? well now quiet right.

You have to know about the type of lens and the functions ( and ya am not talking about self timer [:D] , and face detections)

Its always good to have a better optical zoom camera over higher MPX

Suvo, I suggested him Sony as well in the start , They are complete package for point and shoot range.

but as you say Entry level SLR will be the way to go if he wana step into the world of photography

I would suggest Canon PowerShot SX 150IS

Positives
  • 14 megapixels
  • 12X Optical Zoom laced with 4 x Optical zoom. You get 48X effective zoom capability. And crystal clear pictures even at max zoom.
  • Very well within your budget. If available at CSD, will be further cheap.
  • Capable of making HD video, with zoom function. Sony certainly doesn't have zoom function while shooting videos.
  • Has many manual settings like in those DSLRs. It does have various auto functions too. Macro function is one of the best.
  • Uses AA size rechargable cells. SO you can use normal AA cells too. So when other cameras die out and there's no means to recharge, this one stands out to be a winner.

Negatives
  • In my opinion, only one. The last positive point is a negative too. Today when all cameras have juicy Li ion battery, this one uses Ni Cd battery. Definitely this camera's battery lasts much lesser than Li ion batteries.
This might be the only reason why such a capable camera is priced so low.

Thread Starter #38
the canon SX150 is/was also under consideration. even tried a demo hands on at vijay sales but image quality wise i felt the nikon had better reproduction. specs wise it is attributed to the CMOS sensor of the coolpix as against the ccd sensor of the canon.

also AA batteries is a downer since it will deplete much quicker. this for the canon.

having said that even the fujifilm s2890 is a AA battery operated one but the 18x zoom and the macro feature is just too good.

the difference is about 1k for the 2890(9,990) and the coolpix(9,000) so need to decide.

One thing I learnt that It is better to sacrifice few megapixels and go for higher zoom camera. Because most of the times you will be shooting pics with smaller size (MBs) and also you will not need such high resolution pics often. even 8-9 Megapixel camera is good enough. I have 14 Mega Pixel camera, but I always set it to 2 MB photo size so that I can take more photos. [;)]. Where as max I can set is 11 MB for each photo, and you will get really higher resolution pics.

Thread Starter #40
got myself a nikon coolpix s6300. though small in size it packs quite a punch with the pictures.

cost was 9000/- bought from a local shop. parents were opposed to buying online despite my assurances they refused to budge.

got a parker pen and an HDMI cable free and the shopkeeper was generous enough to apply a scratch guard on the LCD screen.

Oh Superbad,

I am late in this thread, but my experience with Nikon coolpix in that price range was not so good !! we bought two and both are useless. Any day Sony,Canon looks better to me !!

Anyway I hope you get some good pics with that Nikon !! congrats buddy

I am eager to see some pics from you with the new camera

Thread Starter #42
Oh Superbad,

I am late in this thread, but my experience with Nikon coolpix in that price range was not so good !! we bought two and both are useless. Any day Sony,Canon looks better to me !!

Anyway I hope you get some good pics with that Nikon !! congrats buddy

I am eager to see some pics from you with the new camera
have posted some in my ownership review and for my trip to my native place.

those pictures were taken from the second floor with optical zoom enabled.

the only thing good about this is the CMOS sensor compared to CCD sensors of the sony and canon which is good for low light conditions.

Thread Starter #44
have enclosed the images.

for reasons mentioned i did not wanted to spend too much on the camera. a P&S since it was easier for others to operate.

maybe a later a decent DSLR of my own pocket.

Last edited:
Thank you for the pics !!

I can't say they are just great, but they reasonably good for the money spent for the camera[:)]

I also had a plan of buying a Digi camera but you know I felt my mobile camera is equally good with pic clarity(all those pics of my car and bike are with my mobile camera) hence felt to continue with it

Top Bottom