Suggest Me a Digital Camera Upto Rs.10-12K

For me it is as simple as this. If you are going for:

DSLR - Nikon (for extensive still pics), Canon (if you are going to shoot videos as well). Sony doesn't stand a chance.

Point and shoot - Sony. No competition here. [evil]

Thread Starter #17
so your views about the sony cybershot w-630 ?

priced around 8800.

can get it under 8k online i guess.

Buddy,my Canon is for sale and I can give it to you for 10k..see its a fantastic deal and I am sure you won't let it go..:tongue:

About W630:
It looks promising on paper,maybe its the way to go..

Friends it has Sony lens not CarlZeiss lens. With little knowledge I must say Sony camera is good with CarlZeiss lens and Nikor with Nikon. Not sure about Canon, I never had any Canon. Please check it once.

Friends, when I was buying first camera somewhere in 2008, I got to know about JJ Mehta.

jjmehta , J. J. Mehta & Sons - Digital Camera Store , in Mumbai

It's good and precise.

I was going through camera list and found below one is a good deal.

Nikon Coolpix S6300 Digital Camera : Now Available in Mumbai , India

Stylishly slim form with 10x high-performance zoom
Design elegance meets high performance in one of the slimmest, most compact cameras in the 10x optical zoom class. A 10x zoom NIKKOR lens that starts at 25 mm wide-angle coverage* and the advantages of Nikon's Lens-shift VR image stabilization helps you capture consistently beautiful

Even this one is good,it has HD also but price is slightly high.

Canon Powershot SX220HS

Wat I suggest, if lil bit more money can bring a HD camera it would be great. You can get very use of Camera if there is any LCD/LED TV giant screen.

Among all this is the best: Only issue is no built in battery. But it has added advantage that you can use the camera even if battery is not charged, buy AA battery and use it.

Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera- Rs.13450.00
Nikon has introduced the Coolpix L310, a super zoom camera that combines amazing image quality with the flexibility of a long zoom range, making it ideal for all types of photography. The 14 Megapixel image sensor and 21x wide-angle optical zoom lens work perfectly together to produce breathtaking results, whether you taking pictures or shooting HD videos. The Nikon Coolpix L310 digital camera has been built with convenience and comfort in mind; its equipped with a dedicated movie button and auto control function for easy and fast access. For added convenience the Nikon L310 is powered by four AA-size batteries

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #21
Friends it has Sony lens not CarlZeiss lens. With little knowledge I must say Sony camera is good with CarlZeiss lens and Nikor with Nikon. Not sure about Canon, I never had any Canon. Please check it once.

Friends, when I was buying first camera somewhere in 2008, I got to know about JJ Mehta.

jjmehta , J. J. Mehta & Sons - Digital Camera Store , in Mumbai

It's good and precise.

I was going through camera list and found below one is a good deal.

Nikon Coolpix S6300 Digital Camera : Now Available in Mumbai , India

Stylishly slim form with 10x high-performance zoom
Design elegance meets high performance in one of the slimmest, most compact cameras in the 10x optical zoom class. A 10x zoom NIKKOR lens that starts at 25 mm wide-angle coverage* and the advantages of Nikon's Lens-shift VR image stabilization helps you capture consistently beautiful

Even this one is good,it has HD also but price is slightly high.

Canon Powershot SX220HS

Wat I suggest, if lil bit more money can bring a HD camera it would be great. You can get very use of Camera if there is any LCD/LED TV giant screen.

Among all this is the best: Only issue is no built in battery. But it has added advantage that you can use the camera even if battery is not charged, buy AA battery and use it.

Nikon Coolpix L310 Digital Camera- Rs.13450.00
Nikon has introduced the Coolpix L310, a super zoom camera that combines amazing image quality with the flexibility of a long zoom range, making it ideal for all types of photography. The 14 Megapixel image sensor and 21x wide-angle optical zoom lens work perfectly together to produce breathtaking results, whether you taking pictures or shooting HD videos. The Nikon Coolpix L310 digital camera has been built with convenience and comfort in mind; its equipped with a dedicated movie button and auto control function for easy and fast access. For added convenience the Nikon L310 is powered by four AA-size batteries

about th w630 i checked it online and everywhere it mentioned was having a carzeiss lens . the lower variants w610,620 are supposed to have a sony lens. or am i missing something [confused]

also i do not want to venture into 10k + territory.

if i go for a 10k+ product i guess the panasonic lumix tf10/20 should be the one.

Last edited:
about th w630 i checked it online and everywhere it mentioned was having a carzeiss lens . the lower variants w610,620 are supposed to have a sony lens. or am i missing something [confused]
Yes, it comes with a Carl Zeiss lens. And as far as I know abt Sony lens

Sony G > Carl Zeiss > Sony lens

also i do not want to venture into 10k + territory.

if i go for a 10k+ product i guess the panasonic lumix tf10/20 should be the one.
I have used the Panasonic lumix camera I had one for 4 years I will check the model and let you know if it has Leica lens no doubt it will be a great camera it can be a great choice .

Whatever you do, DO NOT GO FOR NIKON Point and Shoot. This I am saying who is an ardent NIKON fan for DSLR and SLR. But the reality is NIKON has still not learnt the way to design Point and Shoots. Point and shoot are a different ball game, which Nikon simply doesnt understand. Its a separate topic, I can explain in private if the anyone needs detailed explanation.

For Point and Shoot, choose between Sony, Cannon and even Fuji makes good point and shoots. Point and shoot camera will very soon define a new realm in photography and already there are point and shoots in the market which costs equal or even more than mid range DSLR's.

There is a lot of demand of sophisticated point and shoots by the photo journalists who prefer to carry a reliable camera without making the crowd conscious. Moving around with a large DSLR in the street makes people very conscious and you will see lot of people asking you all sorts of questions if they see DSLR with large lens at your possession. Photo journalists covering real time picture demand bulk of a point and shoot with efficiency of DSLR. The company named Leica is specialized in launching these type of cameras which costs over 1.5 lakhs in indian currency.

Anyways, to answer your question choose between Sony, Canon and Fuji depending on your budget and MOST IMPORTANT, do not rely only on Megapixels, see whats the sensor size in mm (lengthXwidth). A larger sensor size with lower megapixel is advisable rather than other way round. Remember, you just need 10 - 12 megapixel to blow out an image in poster size (20 inches X 30 inches), so anything more than that is actually a waste, unless you are into fashion or still life..

Feel free to let me know, if you have any specific questions

Thread Starter #27
Thanks suvo.
The thing is i need a reckoner among cameras within the similar price for its practicalityand the price.
Spending 16k for a p and s does not feel worth as i have by then reached the borderline with dslrs which are available for around 20k range.

So putting all these factors in considerations what would you suggest?
P.s earlier sony used to stick with their own memory format which was pro duo which was expensive than competition and was major hindrance for future upgrades for memory.

also i had mentioned i would be purchasing it through CSD so having some knowledge of alternatives for same price:performance ratio should be helpful incase of unavailability of that model
[:)]

If you are seriously interested in Photography, you should consider with an entry level DSLR .. DSLR is the way to go for learning Photography. Its like trained in Classical music creates a strong foundation for contemporary..

However, if you are in a need of a Camera for just memory captures, family photos, vacation coverage etc.. then go to a good store, specify your budget clearly and see the options yourselves..Try out each of the model and see

1. What is the bulk and weight?
2. How does it feel in hand and hows the construction material (resistant to light water sprinkles (read rain), dust etc.
3. Choose between Sony, Fuji and Canon

Its been years and ages, have used Point and Shoots, but some models which comes to my mind in line with your budget are

1. Canon SX150 IS
2. Olympus SP 610UZ (Very under-rated, but yhey are very good value for money)
3. Fuji F500 EXR (this is the best among the lot and also costliest)
4. Sony DSC H90 (Good, but i am not very fond of its body design)

The models listed above are actually shooting you budget by couple(not more), but they will last with you for 5 years happily and you will not be outdated within next 3 - 4 years for sure

If you are seriously interested in Photography, you should consider with an entry level DSLR .. DSLR is the way to go for learning Photography. Its like trained in Classical music creates a strong foundation for contemporary..

However, if you are in a need of a Camera for just memory captures, family photos, vacation coverage etc.. then go to a good store, specify your budget clearly and see the options yourselves..Try out each of the model and see

1. What is the bulk and weight?
2. How does it feel in hand and hows the construction material (resistant to light water sprinkles (read rain), dust etc.
3. Choose between Sony, Fuji and Canon

Its been years and ages, have used Point and Shoots, but some models which comes to my mind in line with your budget are

1. Canon SX150 IS
2. Olympus SP 610UZ (Very under-rated, but yhey are very good value for money)
3. Fuji F500 EXR (this is the best among the lot and also costliest)
4. Sony DSC H90 (Good, but i am not very fond of its body design)

The models listed above are actually shooting you budget by couple(not more), but they will last with you for 5 years happily and you will not be outdated within next 3 - 4 years for sure

My personal experience with Sony DSC H series is great. My wife is having SonyW30 sort of 14.1 Mpx and 4X zoom, but my SonyH3 is just 8.1 Mpx and 10X Zoom is 100 times better than Wseries. I am fond of good optical zoom even if it is pointshoot camera and over mounted flash. This gives your nice picture. My first camera was KodakZ712 that was 7.1Mpx and 10X Zoom, that time it was value for money as same configuration in Sony was costing at least 6k more. Right now my sister using this Kodak camera and it's really nice.

My question : I have Nikon D5000 with two lenses
Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF DX VR Zoom
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (3.0x) . But whenever I try to take pics it wont come as nice as Sony H series. But in Manual mode with VR setting sometimes it give very nice pics. Do I require to join some coaching?

My personal experience with Sony DSC H series is great. My wife is having SonyW30 sort of 14.1 Mpx and 4X zoom, but my SonyH3 is just 8.1 Mpx and 10X Zoom is 100 times better than Wseries. I am fond of good optical zoom even if it is pointshoot camera and over mounted flash. This gives your nice picture. My first camera was KodakZ712 that was 7.1Mpx and 10X Zoom, that time it was value for money as same configuration in Sony was costing at least 6k more. Right now my sister using this Kodak camera and it's really nice.

My question : I have Nikon D5000 with two lenses
Nikkor AF-S 55-200mm f/4-5.6G ED-IF DX VR Zoom
Nikkor AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (3.0x) . But whenever I try to take pics it wont come as nice as Sony H series. But in Manual mode with VR setting sometimes it give very nice pics. Do I require to join some coaching?
Dear Friend - Question is too broad to understand, specific scenario instances would help. I hope you understand your WIFE Better (Read - W- While Balance, I - ISO, F - Focus, E - Exposure).

coaching would definitely help

Top Bottom