Suggest Hill Stations Near Delhi - 8th to 11th Jun (Tentative)

Good, best of luck for your trip, do take lots of pics and remember to post a log here.

Apart from Kempty fall do try to drive down till Dhanaulti if time permits, you can visit company garden and other local places of interest.

@Shailinder:
The road from Dehradun-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti is simply in a mint condition and hence no need to worry at all.

You only need to be alert once you reach the top of Mussoorie,there the road becomes quite narrow and while moving towards Dhanaulti from that point as its a steep decline and is a steep incline too while returning back.

I'd recommend you to plan the trip this way:-
Dehradun-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti-Chamba-Old Tehri(Dam)-Chamba-Rishikesh-Haridwar(Via chilla road)-Delhi.
This will take not more than 8-9 hours more than your Dehradun-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti and back but will give you a lot of experience as well as the road form Chamba to Rishikesh is a 2 lane/dual carriageway and is a delight to drive.

BTW,your name is Shailinder Dangwal...that means you are a native of Garhwal.Right?Still you haven' yet driven on those roads!!!

Yes he is right,60 kph on most of the Uttarakhand roads is no issue.

You are a delhite and I have seen the cars with Registration numbers saying DL,HR 26,UP 15/14/16 doing even 80 or 100 kph on some wider sections and straight stretches.Even I too do it.
There are places like Srinagar Garhwal and many more roads where you can find quite long and straight as well as plain stretches.
Vipul, no matter how good and experienced driver a person is, one should never exceed the limit of 40Kmph in the hills, 60Kmph in my opinion is inviting a disaster. But as you mentioned, speeding up a little bit on near straight stretches where visibility is at the maximum should not not be of an issue. Another point to note is to keep the vehicle in correct gear while going up the hill, not doing so strains the engine excessively.

I'm not surprised as I notice HR26, HR51, UP14, and UP16 overspeeding in Delhi city everyday, having no regard for lane driving and stopping at intersections. Sorry for offending folks belonging to these regions, but majority of the fellows drive as if lane driving, intersection red light, unnecessary honking, speed limits etc are alien concepts of no use to humankind. Doing so in UK, where traffic cops are found rarely is easily understandable.

Last edited:
They maybe fastest drivers even on hills too but still the ones who frequently jump off the road are UK registered ones..
As we say "Doobta tairaak hi hai"(its the expert who drowns).

Thread Starter #35
@Shailinder:
The road from Dehradun-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti is simply in a mint condition and hence no need to worry at all.

You only need to be alert once you reach the top of Mussoorie,there the road becomes quite narrow and while moving towards Dhanaulti from that point as its a steep decline and is a steep incline too while returning back.

I'd recommend you to plan the trip this way:-
Dehradun-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti-Chamba-Old Tehri(Dam)-Chamba-Rishikesh-Haridwar(Via chilla road)-Delhi.
This will take not more than 8-9 hours more than your Dehradun-Mussoorie-Dhanaulti and back but will give you a lot of experience as well as the road form Chamba to Rishikesh is a 2 lane/dual carriageway and is a delight to drive.

BTW,your name is Shailinder Dangwal...that means you are a native of Garhwal.Right?Still you haven' yet driven on those roads!!!
You are right I am from Garhwal and that is the only relation I have with Garhwal. Yes there are people from my family staying in different parts of Garhwal but I never drove any vehicle on hills. But one has to start sometime, probably this is the time to take that step.

My fear is my wife and kids they will kill me every time during the journey from D'Dun to Mussoorie on every turn [evil]. Over speeding ha ha ha [lol], they would not let me drive at normal speed let alone fast. My another fear is " whether I would be termed as the slowest person driving that time or not" [glasses]. But it is fine till the time we are able to achieve our main goal of enjoyment with family.

Last edited:
Buddy you need not to think even once,just move on and maintain the speed you feel comfortable on.
And still if you feel uncomfy then rush to a taxi stand and get a driver for 6 hours for yourself.Now get the driver seated on the front seat and instruct you what and how to do.

Rest,again same words 'You drive a compact hatch with a powerful engine buddy',more than half of your tension will be taken by it only and rest half is not really worth thinking of.Just you need to be confident,none else.
On my first hilly trip i had my chauffy to guide me,but on the second one I had just 3 people and none of them knew driving and the car was the Scorpio slx and chauffy just gave me one instruction,which was as follows(exact words of him):-
"Beta,apni side pe dabaa ke chalna,aahista par confidence se chalna and khaai ki taraf chalte time gaadi bilkul kone pe mat le jaana"(Keep on your side,be confident but quite slow and while driving on cliff side,just don't go on extreme corner).
I have been following the same since that day and I think I am safe...

Rest,get your family some sticky thing to eat,this will help a lot by keeping them silent and last:Its a game of just 5 kilometers,after that you will automatically drive like a pro and all the fear will vanish.

Thread Starter #37
Buddy you need not to think even once,just move on and maintain the speed you feel comfortable on.
And still if you feel uncomfy then rush to a taxi stand and get a driver for 6 hours for yourself.Now get the driver seated on the front seat and instruct you what and how to do.

Rest,again same words 'You drive a compact hatch with a powerful engine buddy',more than half of your tension will be taken by it only and rest half is not really worth thinking of.Just you need to be confident,none else.
On my first hilly trip i had my chauffy to guide me,but on the second one I had just 3 people and none of them knew driving and the car was the Scorpio slx and chauffy just gave me one instruction,which was as follows(exact words of him):-
"Beta,apni side pe dabaa ke chalna,aahista par confidence se chalna and khaai ki taraf chalte time gaadi bilkul kone pe mat le jaana"(Keep on your side,be confident but quite slow and while driving on cliff side,just don't go on extreme corner).
I have been following the same since that day and I think I am safe...

Rest,get your family some sticky thing to eat,this will help a lot by keeping them silent and last:Its a game of just 5 kilometers,after that you will automatically drive like a pro and all the fear will vanish.
Thanks Vipul.

Very encouraging words. I am sure I will be able to drive on hills. [:)]

Top Bottom