Suggest a Petrol Hatch within Rs.5.5 Lakhs.

Thread Starter #1
I(OK My DAD[;)]) want to buy a hatch within 5-5.5 lakhs.

Monthly usage:600-800(Maybe 1000kms in some months). Distance varies as my dad is a private civil consultant.

I decided on a petrol as monthly running is low.
TD experienes:-

Ritz-was good but felt nothing special. And bad design. Our 3rd choice.

Swift-Havent TDed. Dad hates the design.

i20-Ignored because of the mountain of problems(steering rattle,etc)

BRIO-very cheerfull car. Dad loved the visibility(he is 6ft) and found it similar to our 16yr old maruti 800. Nice engine but engine power not a criteria bacause he is a very sedate driver and ECO light was ON the whole TD.Good dealership experience but small boot.

POLO-WHAT A CAR !! [clap] Loved the solid feeling. Felt like in a car 2 segments up.Ride is incomparable to the rest. Engine noise is a pain but is not heard at all inside. Gear shifts are unbelievable. Dad found the power good enough. But rear view bad. Only concern is service costs. Can a POLO owner please clarify on ownership costs [confused]

Figo-horrible interior quality. Low GC. Out of our list.

We plan to keep the car for 10+ years. Please suggest the best option ? Overall its BRIO versus POLO. Any other options ?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i think the issues have been resolved in the new i20. i'm not sure but someone said that the issue was taken care off in the lots which were produced after october , 2011. i'm not sure but if you could , go to a service center and you may ask the advisors what all problems are there in the i20. i enquired the same and the person told me what i wrote above.

if you could extend your budget you may go for the honda jazz ? it will cost you around 6 lakhs something on road.

otherwise i will suggest brio. i don't like polo , because of the rear headroom , i'm 5'11 and my neck was hurting.

so what about polo's boot ? is that more spacious then the brio ?

Thread Starter #3
Yeah the polos boot is much more generous at 280ltrs.

We are a family of 3 and I am at college most of the time. Dad drives it alone 95% of the time. So I dont think the Jazz makes more sense than a Brio.
The real attraction is the brio s(O) variant at around 5.5lakhs.And I am getting the S variant at just 4.85 lakhs onroad[clap] But will surely look at the Jazz once more.

Will ask around about the i20's problems.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
i just checked the features of brio s and brio s(o) and if you select brio then you should go for brio s(o) [:)] you will get ABS and 2 airbags as well. since you will use the car for a long period of time you should get these safety features [:)] and don't know maybe in coming years these safety features may become mandatory, don't get serious its just my point of view and i just hope this happens [;)]

i just checked the features of brio s and brio s(o) and if you select brio then you should go for brio s(o) [:)] you will get ABS and 2 airbags as well. since you will use the car for a long period of time you should get these safety features [:)] and don't know maybe in coming years these safety features may become mandatory, don't get serious its just my point of view and i just hope this happens [;)]
+1 allhyundaicars.
I do advice you to go for S(O) MT variant if you are opting for Brio. You will get all features except Fog lamps and alloys. Most importantly you will get ABS and Airbags.
Do test drive Jazz and Swift before taking your final decision.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
+1 allhyundaicars.
I do advice you to go for S(O) MT variant if you are opting for Brio. You will get all features except Fog lamps and alloys. Most importantly you will get ABS and Airbags.
Do test drive Jazz and Swift before taking your final decision.
good to see people who knows the true value of these safety equipments[thumbsup]

just waiting for that time when all these safety features will be offered as standard even in the base variant.

good to see people who knows the true value of these safety equipments[thumbsup]

just waiting for that time when all these safety features will be offered as standard even in the base variant.
Those times when those safety features would be mandatory are not so far away.
Hyundai Eon top variant(Sportz variant) with driver airbag is an example. I feel Eon to be a good commuter car and Hyundai has well understood the needs of the safety concious customers and introduced such a variant.

10+ years ownership, city car, 5.5L and for dad. Best is to go for the i10 Automatic! The convenience of the Automatic will be just great and appreciated every time he takes it out.

If you want a manual only, then the obvious choice should be the H Brio. Go for the feature packed one.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Those times when those safety features would be mandatory are not so far away.
Hyundai Eon top variant(Sportz variant) with driver airbag is an example. I feel Eon to be a good commuter car and Hyundai has well understood the needs of the safety concious customers and introduced such a variant.
hmm so even a car priced at that has airbags. but still its the top variant which has that. so its similar to all other cars[:)] just wait for more and more car companies to enter and launch their products. then every other manufacturer will try to give more and more even at lower price [;)]

10+ years ownership, city car, 5.5L and for dad. Best is to go for the i10 Automatic! The convenience of the Automatic will be just great and appreciated every time he takes it out.

If you want a manual only, then the obvious choice should be the H Brio. Go for the feature packed one.
will the automatic last for 10 years[confused] ?? and i have heard that there is a very high repair cost if something goes wrong ?

Thread Starter #10

Naah he prefers a manual. BTW my dad isnt VERY OLD !! He's 50 [:D]

Is the Brio preferable over the POLO ?

Regarding Swift-Well dad hated its design from the moment it was released. Dont want to force him to buy something that he doesnt like.

Its POLO versus BRIO for the final showdown.

If its brio definately the S(O) variant(if I can convince him[frustration])

will the automatic last for 10 years[confused] ?? and i have heard that there is a very high repair cost if something goes wrong ?
I am not a person to judge about the technicality of cars.
But i do have the same doubt regarding how the ownership would turn out to be if a long term buyer goes for I10 auto.

@har007- Since you have mentioned your budget to be 5.5 lakhs and you have zeroed your choice to Polo and Brio I would advice you to stick with Brio S(O)MT. Brio S(O)MT would be a good VFM car.
As I have mentioned earlier do check Jazz Base.It has almost all the features of Brio S(O)MT + tons of storage spaces.

Thread Starter #12
I am not a person to judge about the technicality of cars.
But i do have the same doubt regarding how the ownership would turn out to be if a long term buyer goes for I10 auto.

@har007- Since you have mentioned your budget to be 5.5 lakhs and you have zeroed your choice to Polo and Brio I would advice you to stick with Brio S(O)MT. Brio S(O)MT would be a good VFM car.
As I have mentioned earlier do check Jazz Base.It has almost all the features of Brio S(O)MT + tons of storage spaces.
Will definitely check the Jazz out. BTW does my mileage warrant a diesel ? Because the users in the brio facebook page are reporting mileage of only 11-14 which is really low I think [frustration]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
no you should not go for diesel with 30km/day running. one should purchase diesel if he has a total commute of more than 60kms/ day. you will spend way more in the long run.

aah in city every car gives the same. you can't do anything but drive constantly at 50-60 where ever posiible.

I(OK My DAD[;)])

POLO-WHAT A CAR !! [clap] ...... Only concern is service costs. Can a POLO owner please clarify on ownership costs [confused]
Servicing of polo is every 15k kms, which comes to around 7-8k for petrol.

When you compare it with other cars in the same league which require service thrice a month, the service cost is not much and pretty justified.

Let me compare Brio and Polo for you:

Petrol: Both polo and Brio would perform equally well. I have driven both. I own Polo Btw.

For your Dad: Both will make your Dad feel young. The added advantage is with Polo with classic design

10+ years: Polo wins here undoubtedly. Not to say that Hondas don't last but when both are compared, Polo would last longer

Service cost: Brio might win with a thin margin, though both are comparable. Polo might lose here due to costly spare parts and Honda is more reliable than VW.
In Polo, at least on TAI, many owners have reported a few issues here and there, but no issues with Brio reported.

Safety: Brio wins here. Polo base model in your budget would lack many features, in fact it would be just a plane jane car. No stereo, alloys, seat height adjustment, airbags, ABS. In your case, I would give highest weight to safety.

There are positives and negatives with both of them.

But if I was you, I would have zeroed down on Brio- just for safety features.

Well,leave everything aside and tell me just one point:-
Why do people forget i-10 kappa asta when it comes to such queries?
I am yet to find any hatchback which is as good as an i-10 kappa when it comes to city driving.And it has got loads of performance too.In fact I find it performing better than your Swift,Ritz,Polo,Figo and even Brio and Jazz(they both have pathetic low end pulling).

For me,if the budget is 5-5.5 lacs then nothing other than an i10 kappa asta if most of the drive is going to be in city and if highway drive is also done then Ritz ZXi.

Top Bottom