Suggest a Petrol Hatch within Rs.5.5 Lakhs.

Thread Starter #16
Servicing of polo is every 15k kms, which comes to around 7-8k for petrol.

When you compare it with other cars in the same league which require service thrice a month, the service cost is not much and pretty justified.

Let me compare Brio and Polo for you:

Petrol: Both polo and Brio would perform equally well. I have driven both. I own Polo Btw.

For your Dad: Both will make your Dad feel young. The added advantage is with Polo with classic design

10+ years: Polo wins here undoubtedly. Not to say that Hondas don't last but when both are compared, Polo would last longer

Service cost: Brio might win with a thin margin, though both are comparable. Polo might lose here due to costly spare parts and Honda is more reliable than VW.
In Polo, at least on TAI, many owners have reported a few issues here and there, but no issues with Brio reported.

Safety: Brio wins here. Polo base model in your budget would lack many features, in fact it would be just a plane jane car. No stereo, alloys, seat height adjustment, airbags, ABS. In your case, I would give highest weight to safety.

There are positives and negatives with both of them.

But if I was you, I would have zeroed down on Brio- just for safety features.

Thanks for the info [:)]
My mom and dad love the polo and wants to buy that(the loud thud and solid interiors make you feel really special) but I think brio with safety at 5.5 lakhs is unbeatable. The Polo highline will cost atleast a lakh more I think.They dont care for safety[frustration] but obviously I do so I convinced them brio is better [roll] (just to get them buy safety).

Thread Starter #17
Well,leave everything aside and tell me just one point:-
Why do people forget i-10 kappa asta when it comes to such queries?
I am yet to find any hatchback which is as good as an i-10 kappa when it comes to city driving.And it has got loads of performance too.In fact I find it performing better than your Swift,Ritz,Polo,Figo and even Brio and Jazz(they both have pathetic low end pulling).

For me,if the budget is 5-5.5 lacs then nothing other than an i10 kappa asta if most of the drive is going to be in city and if highway drive is also done then Ritz ZXi.
Hmmm there is something magical about brio that makes it better than i10 to me(H brand of hourse[evil]). Its too common anyway. Just want something different. Ritz...well it really needs a back surgery [frustration]

I guess the i10 will make more sense financially but I am sticking with the brio.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
When you compare it with other cars in the same league which require service thrice a month,

Thrice a month[surprise]would you like to re-phrase that because that is utter nonsense.

Hmmm there is something magical about brio that makes it better than i10 to me(H brand of hourse[evil]). Its too common anyway. Just want something different. Ritz...well it really needs a back surgery [frustration]

I guess the i10 will make more sense financially but I am sticking with the brio.
i myself have an i10 and yes its good , value for money and you will get all the extra features which you can get in a hatchback. But honda's engine are way much better than hyundai's. even MS ( swift 1.2) engine is better than i10's 1.2

Last edited:
If its 10 years plus, Id say go for Polo. All VWs are super solidly built & you like it too. So don't think twice

Thread Starter #20
If its 10 years plus, Id say go for Polo. All VWs are super solidly built & you like it too. So don't think twice
But I wont be able to afford Highline version having ABS and Airbags. But I can afford s(O) of brio having both.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
har007 - now don't just look for safety only [:)] you decide by looking at both the cars overall.

if maintained well any car can last for years just like your maruti [:)]

Thread Starter #22
har007 - now don't just look for safety only [:)] you decide by looking at both the cars overall.

if maintained well any car can last for years just like your maruti
Guess thats true. Our 800 didnt have a single scratch these 16 years. Dad is a very sedate driver. During brio test drive ECO light was ON the whole time he he was driving while it was the opposite when I was driving. I have a feeling he wont really enjoy the high revving iVtec[lol]. But VW reliability is not good worldwide. But I would say Polo is a more complete car. Confusion increases

Will take one more test drive of both next week. Exams are around the corner and dad said he wont talk anything about cars until thats over [frustration]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
we also had a 7 years old santro. maintained well and sold it for full 1,00,000. after 7 years :P so just imagine the condition.

i personally will tell you to go for the brio. i just don't like vw.

and yeah do that , even go to service stations of both. this will also help you in future [;)]

But I wont be able to afford Highline version having ABS and Airbags. But I can afford s(O) of brio having both.
In context of the increasing petrol prices buying a petrol hatchback worth 7 lakhs + petrol bills would be a heavy burden according to me.
VW Polo petrol Highline is a good car. We have once test drove it once (the diesel one)and the solid built quality is unparalleled.
Considering your monthly run if you are extending your budget upto Polo Petrol Highline its better to consider diesel cars also.
otherwise Honda Brio S(O)MT is the best.

Last edited:
Well after seeing and understanding all and everything at my level,I have ended to Brio.
Its a Honda and hence offers decent product quality and has got a fantastic engine too.Reliability is a top given and hence must be able to keep you happy for 8-10 years easily.
Rest I am still thinking what will be the price of a liter of 'LIQUID GOLD' after 8-10 years?

Thread Starter #27
Well after seeing and understanding all and everything at my level,I have ended to Brio.
Its a Honda and hence offers decent product quality and has got a fantastic engine too.Reliability is a top given and hence must be able to keep you happy for 8-10 years easily.
Rest I am still thinking what will be the price of a liter of 'LIQUID GOLD' after 8-10 years?
Now that is a huge concern. If petrol costs remain rising like lat year for the next 10 years, there is no way I will be able to afford it [frustration]
Especially since brio returns really low mileage in city [anger]

Thread Starter #28
In context of the increasing petrol prices buying a petrol hatchback worth 7 lakhs + petrol bills would be a heavy burden according to me.
VW Polo petrol Highline is a good car. We have once test drove it once (the diesel one)and the solid built quality is unparalleled.
Considering your monthly run if you are extending your budget upto Polo Petrol Highline its better to consider diesel cars also.
otherwise Honda Brio S(O)MT is the best.
I cant increase my budget so much. I would rather get a swift zdi for that price.
I am still thinking of getting a swift or ritz ldi version as mileage even in city is 20+ .

Now that is a huge concern. If petrol costs remain rising like lat year for the next 10 years, there is no way I will be able to afford it [frustration]
Especially since brio returns really low mileage in city [anger]
I don't think that the mileage would be too low. I am of the opinion that all the 1.2l petrol hatches have almost same mileage considering the ARAI figures.
We all know the fact that mileage varies with driving style.[:D]
Since your father is a sedative driver don't worry about that too much.
I cant increase my budget so much. I would rather get a swift zdi for that price.
I am still thinking of getting a swift or ritz ldi version as mileage even in city is 20+ .
You will get Swift LDi or Ritz LDi for that budget. But Swift ZDi will cost you around 8lakhs. Initially the on road price came to 7.16lakhs when the new swift was introduced but as per the prices prevailing now it will cost you more.
If you are considering a Diesel hatch within 7 lakhs do consider Toyota Liva GD-(it has ABS as standard) or Liva GD-SP which will get you airbags too
You will have to compromise on interiors but you will get Toyotas reliability and After Sales Service.

Thread Starter #30
I don't think that the mileage would be too low. I am of the opinion that all the 1.2l petrol hatches have almost same mileage considering the ARAI figures.
We all know the fact that mileage varies with driving style.
Since your father is a sedative driver don't worry about that too much.

You will get Swift LDi or Ritz LDi for that budget. But Swift ZDi will cost you around 8lakhs. Initially the on road price came to 7.16lakhs when the new swift was introduced but as per the prices prevailing now it will cost you more.
If you are considering a Diesel hatch within 7 lakhs do consider Toyota Liva GD-(it has ABS as standard) or Liva GD-SP which will get you airbags too
You will have to compromise on interiors but you will get Toyotas reliability and After Sales Service.
8 lakhs for Swift ZDi !! No way I am going to buy that [lol]

Liva interiors are just too horrible . Toyota must think we indians are beggers or something to accept the interiors [frustration]. It will be a good car but there is absolutely no feel good factor in the liva. Regarding reliability, well its not a global car but strictly an indian car made by toyota. I wouldnt expect the same reliability as those of other toyota cars.

We have pretty much decided on the Brio. Will book in the next week or two. Thanks to everyone [clap]

Top Bottom