Suggest a New Registration Numbering System for India

Thread Starter #1
Just imagine that you are the transport minister and have been given the task of introducing a new numbering system for vehicles in India. These are the guidelines. The number plate should indicate the following
1. State (Currently indicated by DL, MH, KA etc.)
2. Location within the state (currently indicated by 01, 02 etc)
3. Year and month of registration (or any means of indicating the age of the vehicle)
4. Class of vehicle (2 wheeler, 3 wheeler etc)
5. Type of vehicle (Private, public goods, public passenger, govt. vehicle, state transport vehicle etc)
6. Some kind of indication of what road tax is paid (Lifetime, Yearly etc)
7. Some kind of indication that the vehicle has been re-registered (from another state, ex-army, or ex-taxi etc).

The specifications of the plates should be same as HSRP. You can use any combination of Roman alphabets (A, B, C etc) and Arabic numerals (1,2,3 etc). This not a mistake 1,2,3 etc are known as Arabic numerals as the the present MV Act. You can use different combinations of colours for the plates and text. Please note that the total number of colours cannot exceed two (one for the plate and another for the text).

You are also free to put any additional information on the plate in addition to the 7 points. Try and keep the total number of chatracters on the plate minimum so as to make it easy for people to read and remember.

Keep the suggestions pouring.

AMG

Suspended
All numbers would be randomly generated with IND as beginning.
That would stop the fancy numbers nonsense.

Example:

IND 1457 XX 498

The part in bold would be randomly generated.

Thread Starter #3
Something like a UID for vehicles. In that case why not just use the VIN? And then the number does not tell me at a glance whether the vehicle is a bike or a truck, from Delhi or Chennai and all the other info the number should indicate. Also I don't see how this will stop Fancy numbers. You can "Randomely" get IND 1805 SK 155, just alter the spacing to IND1 805S K155, select the correct font and it will look like INDI BOSS KISS or anything you want.

AMG

Suspended
Something like a UID for vehicles. In that case why not just use the VIN?
I have no objections in using VIN, except that VIN is way too long. and the emphasis should be on "IND"
And then the number does not tell me at a glance whether the vehicle is a bike or a truck,
Does it really matter?

from Delhi or Chennai and all the other info the number should indicate.
One nation one number plate. Stop this state-ism and regionalism
Also I don't see how this will stop Fancy numbers. You can "Randomely" get
IND 1805 SK 155, just alter the spacing to IND1 805S K155, select the correct font and it will look like INDI BOSS KISS or anything you want.
Enter the VIN, and the computer randomly generates a number. You cant get the number of your choice until and unless you hack the entire server.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter, although current numbering system is ok for me. But I would love to have IND (as suggested by AMG) at the beginning. Rest everything else for me is secondary after IND (INDIA).

350Z

Core Team
Ditto to that. I am also satisfied with the current registration numbering system in India. But let's see if someone can suggest something simpler but effective which covers most of the required information.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
I have no objections in using VIN, except that VIN is way too long. and the emphasis should be on "IND"
Does it really matter?

One nation one number plate. Stop this state-ism and regionalism
Enter the VIN, and the computer randomly generates a number. You cant get the number of your choice until and unless you hack the entire server.
The problem with random numbers is for the Law enforcement. The cop on the road will not be able to instantly get any info without going online. When a message is flashed to all checkposts regarding some criminals, it's much easier for the cops if they are told "4 suspects in a white 2006 Gujarat registered Swift Taxi" than if they were given a random number.

Ditto to that. I am also satisfied with the current registration numbering system in India. But let's see if someone can suggest something simpler but effective which covers most of the required information.

Drive Safe,
350Z
The current numbering system will run out of numbers eventually. Then we will need something new.

Top Bottom