Suggest a Budget Head Unit for My Zen's Makeover

Thread Starter #1
After giving brand new alloy to my Zen (2004)now am planning to ICEing it , now am really confused about the head unit , I onlu need USB , AUX , FM and I pod support now JBL XT333(2800/-) & Pioneer MVH 1490 UB (3200/-)fits my budget and requirement beautifully but I did some googleing and checked few posts of this forum also , most of the people have issues with both the HU's .
The Pioneer 1490 UB has reboots issue and JBL XT333 is too loud and makes hissing sound and FM s also noisy . So after all these reviews is it all recommended to buy either of them ?? If no so please suggest any alternative in similar price range

Now regarding the speakers

Front door : JBL CS 4 , 4" speaker at 1200/- ( one little doubt this will fit in my zen's front door speaker compartment right ? or do I need to go for 5" speakers , one thing for sure I don want to cut my front door to fit the speakers , they must fit into the speaker compartment )

Rear Parcel Tray : 6 X 9 JBL GTO 949 at 4700/-

So are these choice of speakers all right and FYI I have no plan to invest in subwoofer or amp in near future in this car , and please please suggest me a stable , budget HU . Since with these two speakers I have already spent 5900 , so I can at max spend 10K ( all inclusive ) . So suggest the HU accordingly .

Last edited:
Buddy, I was to suggest the above two only as they both are VFM HUs. Also, I've never heard of any hissing sound issues with X333 (got it installed on cars of 2 friends), maybe the one you came across had wiring issues with the alternator (that's when we get hissing sound mostly).
Also, have a look at the below 2 :
JVC Digital Media Receiver KD-X30 | eBay

JVC MP3 WITH USB ,AUX & FM STERIO (KD-R436) ( 2 year warranty ) | eBay

OK, if not the above too, look hard for a fairly less used ones. You can get a better HU if you are oped to buying used.

freakdude.

4" drivers aren't much of use. A few tweeters are better than them actually. But, what can be done now as you have already purchased them. Can you return/exchange them? If yes, then get a pair of 6.5" coaxes for front. Fitting them would need slight mods to the door pads but would be worth it.

freakdude.

Thread Starter #5
no dude I havent purchased any , I said I shortlisted them , please feel free to suggest any alternative.

Since with these two speakers I have already spent 5900 , so I can at max spend 10K ( all inclusive ) . So suggest the HU accordingly .
This was the reason I said that you have already got the speakers.

no dude I havent purchased any , I said I shortlisted them , please feel free to suggest any alternative.
It's good that you haven't spent on those drivers. So, you better try out the option I had suggested. If your budget permits then go for 6" components for fronts.

freakdude.

You can also try Pioneer 2150, comes with usb,cd,tuner & aux. Sound quality is good, I am using this for almost two years. Costs you around 5.5k.
No Idea, whether its still available in market.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8
One question I have in my mind regarding the speakers , is it necessary to have 4 speakers ? Was just wondering if 6 X 9 JBL GTO 949 at the rear parcel tray will do the job or not..

Top Bottom