Suggest a Bike Between 200 to 800cc

ahh alas...i am bit insistent on the mileage aspect, if we can have decently fast cars giving 14-15kmpl(if driven reasonably) - why cant a bike give atleast 25kmpl if ridden diligently and with no pillion - i fully agree to see a single digit number when wringed hard, but under easy driving the bikes should do better.

some might argue if you are willing to plonk in 10 lakhs for a bike why bother about average , but my point is why not ?
Because most of them are tuned for outright performance and handling. The Bandit for instance pumps out 99PS and 108Nm of torque and weighs some 250Kgs. Its got a power to weight ratio of 396PS/Ton which is a little to much to muscle around if you'd ask me.

Its the same case with cars when you take the ones that make that kind of power to weight figures into consideration.

Thread Starter #32
Yes agreed and probably in the markets these bikes sell these numbers makes sense, but for india the manufacturers need to think differently. Its already happened like that for the 4 wheeler industry but the 2 wheeler industry is still nascent. Triumph is setting up a plant locally hope the others follow suit.
Ok leaving aside a 1200cc+ bike i atleast expect this characteristic in sub 900cc range - if you expect to sell in good numbers in india.

Its 9,50,000/- Ex Showroom Delhi and 1255cc.

I had thought of the Bandit before, But it was out of Iron Rock's mileage( The Bandit gives around 15Kmpl) and displacement requirements.
Correction:Bandit is 8.50 lacs ex-showroom Delhi and about 9.4 on-road.The bike has got in-line 4 cylinder 1255 cc powerplant.
But what distinguishes this engine from other sport ones is its touring nature.This engine hasn't got the fierce power delivery like Busa,R1 etc etc.Instead it has got a very linear and predictable power delivery(buddy I myself have rid it and hence can bet on it)in fact its power figures also display nearly half the power of other sport cousins of it.
And hence this bike is really very much fun to ride at normal speeds like 80-90-100 or upto 120 kph with fantastic power delivery,suspension and handling.Only issue is its size which is quite bigger than all others.
About FE,once again let me make a small correction,its a bandit not a GSX and hence you can expect upto 15 kpl in city and upto 25 kpl on highways on sedate riding and if you push it then also about 15 kpl overall comes up quite easily.(these are the words of an owner from G.O.D.S.(group of Delhi superbikers))

ahh alas...i am bit insistent on the mileage aspect, if we can have decently fast cars giving 14-15kmpl(if driven reasonably) - why cant a bike give atleast 25kmpl if ridden diligently and with no pillion - i fully agree to see a single digit number when wringed hard, but under easy driving the bikes should do better.

some might argue if you are willing to plonk in 10 lakhs for a bike why bother about average , but my point is why not ?
Definitely you must bother about average,but then getting about 20 kpl overall from a 1255 cc engine with ability to plant a grin as wide as Africa on your face are above the average.In fact if you buy a Ninja 650 or a GT 650,none of them gives over 30 kpl at any cost however sedately you ride them.So why not compromise on 5 kpl and get something that can appeal heart.
EXAMPLE:I like Honda City,TDed Civic and bought TSi.Why?At last I thought only 1 kpl does not matter,I can manage it with my driving style.

Because most of them are tuned for outright performance and handling. The Bandit for instance pumps out 99PS and 108Nm of torque and weighs some 250Kgs. Its got a power to weight ratio of 396PS/Ton which is a little to much to muscle around if you'd ask me.

Its the same case with cars when you take the ones that make that kind of power to weight figures into consideration.
Well,Jalex buddy this is where you went somewhat wrong.Yes Bandit has got quite good power but then its not the bike for track use,yes you can use it on track too but seriously its a cruiser bike for mile munchers.Yes it has got that power but to exploit that power you need to go to 8000 rpm or above but in our daily driving I don't think anyone will go there with this type of bike.This is same way like Iron's Civic can do 210 kph but that does not means that he will buy a Civic for doing 210 kph only.

In other words,if everyone thinks this way,then those bikes would have been banned.In fact I found Ninja 650 to have more sharper power delivery than the Bandit.

@Iron:
At last:Leave aside the words of all of us and let the TD itself help you take the decision.Take the TDs and buy the one which satisfies you as you are going to keep it,you are going to ride it...and You are going to OWN it

@Iron:
At last:Leave aside the words of all of us and let the TD itself help you take the decision.Take the TDs and buy the one which satisfies you as you are going to keep it,you are going to ride it...and You are going to OWN it
+1. I am on your side Iron Rock should start doing TDs and buy accordingly.I am also waiting for him to do so[clap].

Correction:Bandit is 8.50 lacs ex-showroom Delhi and about 9.4 on-road.The bike has got in-line 4 cylinder 1255 cc powerplant.
But what distinguishes this engine from other sport ones is its touring nature.This engine hasn't got the fierce power delivery like Busa,R1 etc etc.Instead it has got a very linear and predictable power delivery(buddy I myself have rid it and hence can bet on it)in fact its power figures also display nearly half the power of other sport cousins of it.
And hence this bike is really very much fun to ride at normal speeds like 80-90-100 or upto 120 kph with fantastic power delivery,suspension and handling.Only issue is its size which is quite bigger than all others.
About FE,once again let me make a small correction,its a bandit not a GSX and hence you can expect upto 15 kpl in city and upto 25 kpl on highways on sedate riding and if you push it then also about 15 kpl overall comes up quite easily.(these are the words of an owner from G.O.D.S.(group of Delhi superbikers))

Definitely you must bother about average,but then getting about 20 kpl overall from a 1255 cc engine with ability to plant a grin as wide as Africa on your face are above the average.In fact if you buy a Ninja 650 or a GT 650,none of them gives over 30 kpl at any cost however sedately you ride them.So why not compromise on 5 kpl and get something that can appeal heart.
EXAMPLE:I like Honda City,TDed Civic and bought TSi.Why?At last I thought only 1 kpl does not matter,I can manage it with my driving style.

Well,Jalex buddy this is where you went somewhat wrong.Yes Bandit has got quite good power but then its not the bike for track use,yes you can use it on track too but seriously its a cruiser bike for mile munchers.Yes it has got that power but to exploit that power you need to go to 8000 rpm or above but in our daily driving I don't think anyone will go there with this type of bike.This is same way like Iron's Civic can do 210 kph but that does not means that he will buy a Civic for doing 210 kph only.

In other words,if everyone thinks this way,then those bikes would have been banned.In fact I found Ninja 650 to have more sharper power delivery than the Bandit.
Oh is it now?, Well then Suzuki Motorcycles India must be run by a bunch of nincompoops[lol]. Just look what those idiots say on their company website it costs Ex-showroom Delhi:Suzuki Motorcycles Review - GSX1300R-Hayabusa Motorcycles

And regarding the others, You may have your views and you can very well stick to it.[thumbswink]

Oh is it now?, Well then Suzuki Motorcycles India must be run by a bunch of nincompoops[lol]. Just look what those idiots say on their company website it costs Ex-showroom Delhi:Suzuki Motorcycles Review - GSX1300R-Hayabusa Motorcycles

And regarding the others, You may have your views and you can very well stick to it.[thumbswink]
Definitely +1.it really sounds strange.Maybe this bike is 9.5 lacs ex-showroom but Suzuki is offering a 1 lac cash discount...[lol]

Thread Starter #37
Folks whats your advice/ thoughts on the triumph steeds ?
they seemed to be priced decently , no idea about their dealer and service network, though they seem to setting up shop in karnataka which means they are serious about india.

The list as per their site- Street Triple looks interesting what say ?
Speed triple is raunchy!!

Bonneville INR 5.50 Lakh
Street Triple 675 INR 5.75 Lakh
Daytona 675 INR 7.00 Lakh
Speed Triple INR 8.00 Lakh
Tiger 800XC INR 11.40 Lakh
Storm INR 17.00 Lakh
Rocket III Roadster INR 22.00 Lakh

they seemed to be priced decently , no idea about their dealer and service network, though they seem to setting up shop in karnataka which means they are serious about india.

Bonneville INR 5.50 Lakh
Storm INR 17.00 Lakh
@ IR

CBR 150 has reached dealership go and check!

Triumph, well I somehow don't like british bikes, though i know that Rocket 3 is one of world's fastest bike.

Bonneville INR 5.50 Lakh
Storm INR 17.00 Lakh
Out of the lot the Bonneville might be the bike for you. But you might have to wait till they get their act together. I believe they are going to start operations from October this year.

Well,I have no idea about the Triumphs.Still you can expect them to offer nothing less than others and hence if you like one then get it with closed eyes.
Some days back I have got a P220 and is happy with it.This bike is giving me about 50 kpl on highways and about 40 kpl in city(no dense traffic riding at all) and hence I got a fantastic about 45 kpl overall FE(I know people will find it doubtful,but then you need to check this bike yourself).Riding comfort is okay,and you can easily do 100-200 kms long trips too.What is great is that bike comes at a very low price too.In other words if you don't want to go that premium then this is the bike for you else there is a very long list.

Thread Starter #41
Out of the lot the Bonneville might be the bike for you. But you might have to wait till they get their act together. I believe they are going to start operations from October this year.
Offcourse bonneville is typical british and an iconic thing, instantly recognised in the west. out here it will be a blink and miss thing as someone might think of it as a retro bike..but indeed its a fine fine machine.. i will consider..

Yes look to see such a big brand setting up operations in india, shows their seriousness..

Forgot to mention about the Harleys, Thought you might like them. The cheapest one is the Superlow at 5,65,000/- Ex-showroom, Delhi. :Harley-Davidson India - Harley-Davidson India – 2011 Motorcycles – Sportster – SuperLow® Its 883cc and looks awesome. The short coming is the really low slung 100mm ground clearance.

The other 883s are the Iron 883: Harley-Davidson India - Harley-Davidson India – 2011 Motorcycles – Sportster – Iron 883

And the 883 Roadster:Harley-Davidson India - Harley-Davidson India – 2010 Motorcycles – Sportster – 883 Roadster

The Roadster has a GC of 141mm and the Iron has a GC of 120mm. The Iron is a single seater as well and they all weigh a heavy 260Kgs each.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention about the Harleys, Thought you might like them. The cheapest one is the Superlow at 5,65,000/- Ex-showroom, Delhi. :Harley-Davidson India - Harley-Davidson India – 2011 Motorcycles – Sportster – SuperLow® Its 883cc and looks awesome. The short coming is the really low slung 100mm ground clearance.

The other 883s are the Iron 883: Harley-Davidson India - Harley-Davidson India – 2011 Motorcycles – Sportster – Iron 883

And the 883 Roadster:Harley-Davidson India - Harley-Davidson India – 2010 Motorcycles – Sportster – 883 Roadster

The Roadster has a GC of 141mm and the Iron has a GC of 120mm. The Iron is a single seater as well and they all weigh a heavy 260Kgs each.
Well,here is one Superlow in Meerut too,the only issue is that the guy doesn't ride it on most of the roads because this bike has got the hell of the low GC.

Thread Starter #45
Thanks Jalex, dunno how we forgot the harley in our discussion so far, will check out..but too low GC is an issue too as i would be drving to a farm regularly and atleast speed hump(indian spec [anger]) negotiating gc is required

@Xover you have great imagination [;)]

Top Bottom