Still I Miss Her, My First Car My Maruti 800 ('99)

Thread Starter #1
She was my first love, I spent hours washing her, cleaning her, playing with her. She was charming and beautiful. Though she looked small she was big enough for us.
I drove her to places, she never refused to run on roads which were meant only for two wheelers and bullock carts.[evil]

She never gave me trouble (Except once- will come back to it in detail- It may help other Maruti 800 owners), She never gave a dent in my pocket,
as She was economical throughout her life.

We parted off few months back, But still i miss her, miss her badly![cry]

Few Glimpses of her..
MY_800_1.1.JPG

Bottle green color very well suited her, and made her distinct among similar creatures.
Sometime people asked me, Do I work with Defense? Looking at the her (Later I realized that It is because of her colour)

MY_800_2.1.JPG

Whether it is steep ghat sections or slope she never refused to run!
MY_800_3.1.JPG
MY_800_4.1.JPG

This thread is in memory of Maruti 800, will post her various stories soon.

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Still I miss her, My first car My Maruti 800(99)

Nice thread. My car also used to have the same wheel covers like on yours. Please elaborate about that trouble which you faced with Maruti 800.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #4
Now Regarding the trouble,

I was regularly maintaining her, One local garage is near by my place, and the mechanic is my friend, I can say he is the expert for Good old Maruti 800.So I was rest assured for her.
No expenses will go beyond 1000 Rs, including oil change, Filter change for each service.

Warning : For knowing the real problem you need to read till end, Its a long story.
It was around 75000 on the Odo, and in the summer of 2010, I took the car to our native place which is around 250 kms from Pune, we have farm over there. It was regular for the car to travel on that route. We were 5 in the car all family members.Exactly at the center point i.e. 125 km mark and 1.30 pm in the clock, it was slow moving traffic and I need to drive only in first gear for say around 10 mins. All of sudden the car started giving heavy jerks and I could listen the roar under the hood- It was coolant, that was boiling like anything and splashing all over under the bonnet.
I took the car to the roadside, switched her off( Temperature gauge was moved to extreme right [frustration])
This was the first time I was observing something of this kind. Well I had no option to go back. Engineer inside me woke up, I decided that I will not go back, I will move with the same car.

I tried to diagnose the problem. Initial problem was obvious - Overheating.
Root cause- Fan was not working, A fuel station was nearby, Bought 2 ltrs of coolant first, to be on safer side, I had sufficient amount of water with me,( I always maintain more than 5 liters of water) using the cotton cloth first I tried to cool the radiator and engine, then filled the coolant, started the engine, It was working as normal.
I was knowing that the Fan is not staring automatically and I need to fix that, Called my friend he suggested to make the Fan direct, by shorting the wire. But It was difficult for me to do that since the wire was not easily approachable and the adapter was too tightly fixed.

I decide to move the same way till I reach the next town, I was informed of the mechanic there. I thought I will leave this job to him till we have the Lunch. I drove next 25 Kms with care, avoiding riding in 1st and 2nd gear, and closely monitoring the temp gauge. Also i used the neutral on slopes to get the engine cooled using natural breeze without giving any additional load.
I required to switch of the engine twice in those 25 kms, to let it cool.
Reached the town place, visited the mechanic ( Auto Electrician) he was good in his job, after various attempts, replacing all the fuses, removing headlights for approaching the fan wires he was able to check that the Fan starts automatically and there is no need to do it direct.

I was happy to know that. Once he is done with his job payed him extra than what he demanded.And moved on.[drive]

Covered the remaining 100 kms, reached the place, Checked the car once again, washed the spilled coolant stains.Next day traveled another 100kms, there was no problem observed. On the third day while returning, after initial 75 kms, the same thing started again.

Luckily I had coolant with me, and the water, and the town place was not far. Again visited the same mechanic, again he tried all tricks after an hour or so he said that there is no problem and asked to me drive without worrying.This time I was not sure and don't wanted to take chances as it was evening I needed to travel more than 150 kms with family.

I asked him to do the Fan direct, but he said that it is not required, as the fan is starting automatically once the temperature level is reached. But My experience was , when the Car is stationery the fan was starting automatically and when it was supposed to start while Running it was not working.But that guy made me sure to go ahead.
I started moving, I was continuously monitoring the Temp level, it again started to rise . Now I decided to listen to what car is saying, whenever temp rose, I slowed down, shifted to neutral, try to cool her by all means. It required 5 hours to reach home. I was cursing her like anything....but the pain was not over!

Will continue in next Post I need a break and I know you guys also need a break!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
Part 2 of the Trouble Story!
Came back to Pune Late night, It was Sunday Night. Straight away went to office On Monday morning, She was parked for 5days and the week passed.
Saturday morning took her to the regular doctor! He thoroughly checked entire cooling system, everything found to be normal.
He said that he had faced similar problem with one of the Zen, the Zen owner was very frustrated after so many Visits MSASS his problem was not solved.
When the Zen owner approached my friend he asked him to leave the car for a day, and he told me that he only replaced the Radiator Cap which is available for Rs 50, and the problem was solved.(Though he charged Rs.900 to Zen Owner- Justification for that the Brain used nor the charges for Radiator Cap)
The radiator cap sometime lose the characteristic of holding the vacuum to create pressure for suction in Radiator, and that's why the coolant does not get circulated!The outcome is overheating and splashing out the coolant.
He tried that thing with my Car, we replaced the Radiator Cap, we tested it for around 20 kms, and seems like the problem is sorted out! Kind of relief in Rs 50!
I was very happy.

All of a sudden Within next few weeks I need to travel to my native place along with my Father In law, as one of the relative was Medically serious.
While going everything was fine no problem with the temperature, till we reached somewhat 170 kms. After that the Road construction work was going on , and the traffic was slow moving, Again I need to run the car in 1st and second gear for at-least 10-15 mins. The cab driver behind me was continuously honking, I ignored him. But later realized that he was pointing something to me.The unexpected thing started all over again, entire coolant was splashed out, I was not noticing it.

I was frustrated to see that, repeated the cooling procedure I was following since last Incident.Unfortunately this time there was no help available around except I was having water with me!

After cooling it started all over again, Drive moderately in 3, 4 th gear, avoid using 1st, 2nd and manage it with Neutral, switch off engine etc, etc.
This time I was little comfortable as there were only two of us, and no female member with Us, a big sigh!

Anyhow reached the destination, to my surprise the Fan started automatically when we were just about to reach.The problem was getting confusing and More confusing rather Frustrating. Mechanics were unable to Trace as they found Fan working at all times!

But Now I realized the problem, Whenever the Car has run more than 50 Kms at a stretch and the engine becomes hot, If I drive her in 1st or 2nd gear, that too in traffic or bad road, where no natural ventilation is not helping to cool the engine, the temperature increases rapidly and coolant was not able to keep it cool.

Again Unfortunately we needed to travel on a road full of stones for 5 kms to reach one of the relatives, they are the farmers and stay in remote place and there is no existence of road, only Tractors are driven on that road.

I was not left with any option, either walk with 62 year old man, for 5 kms in 40 degrees temperature that Sun is pouring over our head, or Drive on that road in first gear with speed of 3 km/hr, and boil the coolant.
I chose to abuse my car, instead abusing my Father in Law!

In that 5 kms stretch I stopped 5 Times, to cool her, and the same thing while retuning. Only good thing was in between we enjoyyed a sepcial Non Veg treat, farm fresh Mutton and Chicken with [cheers], and lot of cool water for my car, Helpless poor Machine.

Any how manage to return with all those stoppages , regularly buying coolant, and feeding her like little kids are feed with Milk whenever they cry.

Next Morning went to the Car Mechanic- Now he was more of Mechanic than a friend. I asked him to fix it anyhow.
He removed the fan assembly, Radiator, Coolant pump everything.
Radiator springs were removed, it was sent to the breezing guy to remove the top, clean and refit the same.It was done- Cost 450/-
Fan assembly sent to electrician, wiring, winding changed- Cost 750/- Rs.
Thermostat changed.
Coolant Pump Checked and found working normal,Cleaned and refitted.
We removed NRV in the cooling system, thinking that it might be the culprit.
Took a dry run, the fan was working very well, so the entire cooling system.
It was like fixing the blood circulation system for me![frustration]

That day felt relaxed, though wanted to check it on Bad roads, Highway. Tried the same next day and no Problem Observed.

The time passed it was 6 months passed after that.

I planned a trip to Malavn/ Tarkarli with Family in April 2011- the details in the following post.
I know it is too lengthy but this is how I remember her stories and I dont want to do it Short Cut.

But I was not knowing that the bad is not over yet!

Thread Starter #6
Forgot to mention one thing,
Discussed about possibility of Head Gasket Leakage, But there were no Symptoms of loss in compression.
Though tried to check it from outside by starting the engine and applying soap solution on that, Nothing Found!

Thread Starter #7
The Final Part!

The trip was planned like this
Day One- Leave Pune at 5pm in the evening Reach Kolhapur, Dinner and Stay in Kolhapur at My Grandfathers Home.
Day Two-Start early Morning at 6 am, reach Malavn by 3 pm(Considering stoppages in between for Photo shoots, food etc.)
Stay at Malvan, Visit to Beaches around.
Day Three- Visit to Tarkarli, Beaches/Places around come back to Malvan, Stay in Malvan.
Day four- Early Morning start return to Pune.

Total Kms- 1100.

Started from Pune around 5.30 Pm, reached first Toll plaza hardly 45 kms from Pune, in that toll plaza Que the unexpected story restarted.
With family members on board, evening time, a planned picnic ahead, it was very annoying!
Without wasting time played with the fan, and short the wires, made the direct connection.Fortunately this time road was way better, bought two cans of coolant and started again.Monitoring the temp gauge by default.

Only once that too while climbing the ghat, i Needed to stop, after that without much hassle reached Kolhapur late by an hour or two at around 11.00 pm
Done with Dinner ahd a tight sleep, first thing the morning, asked my gran father to call his mechanic, My grand father also has a Maruti 800, he is well known personality in the field of arts, and education there, so finding a reliable mechanic was not an issue.
Went to his workshop, his name is Raju Mistry- a well know Maruti Expert in Kolhapur and surrounding area.

I told him the patients history! Within minutes he diagnosed the illness that there was very minute puncture in cylinder head, and needs immediate operation, I knew the day is wasted. So left the car with him and asked him to deliver by evening.
In meantime got the Grand fathers Maruti and went to Panhala, a historic and scenic place, enjoyed Kolhapuri Mutton in the lunch.
Came back in the late afternoon and went to see my car, he was assembling the head, The Head was faced on machine, and then the 3-4 gaskets were changed, along with coolant pump bearing. After the assembly, filled the best quality coolant.
The car started with the first attempt, kept her running for more than half an hour, no signs of temperature gauge moving.
Total Bill- 1950,
Including-
Head Facing on Machine,
Gaskets
Coolant
Pump Bearing,
and Labor Charges!
Raju also gave me his number and asked me to call if I suspect any problem, he has a network all over Kokan region, and he assured that my problem will be attended within 30 mins, without any charge!

Went for dinner with family enjoyed Kolhapuri Non Veg once again, happily this time!

Next day started early morning, tested her on all types of roads, and after that there was no signs of temperature rising.

Enjoyed the trip by -1 day and came back home as planned![clap]

I was more than happy!

A very entertaining read I must say, anyways off topic this read reminded me of this incident I had once where I saw this girl with her kinetic honda at night & two other guys with her,they were for a good two min trying to kick start that two wheeler

I was watching from my house gate as I walked toward them the girl started throwing attitude,she was saying its my cousin sisters 2 wheeler she starts it in one kick etc.
As one of those guys was from my college I just said a brief hello & they were making some phone calls & they walked away from the 2 wheeler ignoring me(probably annoyed).

I started it in one kick & they asked me in amazement how did I do it,I just told them they had forgotten to turn the key & I walked away [:D]
I know its kinda off topic but just thought of sharing how stupid & silly things can get sometimes.

Anyways on the topic reminds me of an 95 model 800 we had in 2003 for a few months,car had a leaky radiator & on one drive it leaked,I had to collect water from a stream & filter it with cloth & fill its radiator & after a few km of driving I had to stop at one of those hand pump manual borewells & place a bottle under the mouth of the pump,everytime the water came the bottle would tip over,then I had to go looking for a brick to support the bottle & finally reached my destination after filling up.
Needless to say I had enough cos someone who knew me had passed by as I was pumping water from that borewell & they where asking my mom later what the hell was I doing pumping water at a local borewell.
Annoyed & frustrated it was sold off to the first person who came asking for it the next week! Atleast it taught me to value the reliability of my cars rather than just scream mileage like most of them [thumbsup]

ps I tried adding this to the above post but edit was not working as 15 min had passed,moderators please do the needful,thank you!

Thread Starter #12
Hi, what pipe it is on left bumper side ?
Well that's not a pipe, its a small Flag post, It is very useful while driving in B2B traffic,Parking when one is new to driving.
You can easily identify how much distance is available for you in front of you or on the left side.It surely gives you the confidence while driving.
It was installed on the car Long back, and I did not removed it though I became an expert driver![drive]

can totally understand your feelings and relate to it.
we had a neptune blue 800 i guess back in 92
we had got it from Daman and regitered it there to save the tax [evil]
back then i guess it made quite some difference. i was too young to know the exact figures.
my elder bro used to forget the car keys inside, lock the car and then had to open the rear quarter glass with a knife or something and it had almost become a routine [:D]
didn know how to drive it back then but must have been good am sure.
cheers to M800.

Top Bottom